Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 2: Monday, May 27

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
RE: Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 2

Ah. It's always nice to see Bearditch lose. :clap

It is nice to see spagetti-head with win. I'm not sure how far he can go though since he hasn't played much of late.

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Congrats to Monfils. He played well. He served very well. I said before that Monfils could trouble Berry.

Ilovetennis2

Club Member
Reactions

I'm very happy basically because if Federer does make it far, he won't have to challenge Berdych. Also, I love upsets when it doesn't involve my favorite players.

I like when Federer beats good opposition, but I don't think I can watch another match between him and Berdych where he doesn't capitalize on match points. Good going Monfils!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Again work ruins the day. Would love to watch Djokovic v Goffin. Could be a good one if Goffin remembers how well he can play. Did great here last year. Would also like to check out Tommy Haas' first match.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

tented said:
Mastoor said:
berdych vs Monfils may be something special.

I agree. It could easily become the match of the day, if not the upset of the day.

:cool:

You guys needs to listen to me and Mastoor. :p

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

tented said:
tented said:
Mastoor said:

I agree. It could easily become the match of the day, if not the upset of the day.
Agree with you tented and mastoor.
I said the same that Monfil could trouble Berdy. And Roger-Berdy QF may not happen. Glad Monfil won.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

As a Federer fan, I like Monfils beating Berdych today - and Ferrer fans should be happy too. I guess Monfils still has some game.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

El Dude said:
As a Federer fan, I like Monfils beating Berdych today - and Ferrer fans should be happy too. I guess Monfils still has some game.

If you watched Monfils at all last week in Nice, he played some very fine tennis. Just met a better clay man in the finals, and kinda ran out of gas. His serve today was stunning, and that he held it together in the 5th was admirable. It seems like he's committed to a serious comeback. If he makes it all the way to Fed, I don't expect him to win it, but I'd love to see him have a good run. He feeds off of the crowd...and they are playing in Paris. Allez, Gael!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
El Dude said:

If you watched Monfils at all last week in Nice, he played some very fine tennis. Just met a better clay man in the finals, and kinda ran out of gas. His serve today was stunning, and that he held it together in the 5th was admirable. It seems like he's committed to a serious comeback. If he makes it all the way to Fed, I don't expect him to win it, but I'd love to see him have a good run. He feeds off of the crowd...and they are playing in Paris. Allez, Gael!

As good as Monfils played today, I am hoping his run ends here, because I picked Gulbis to go far, so I hope Ernesto shows up at his best and denies him.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

herios said:
Moxie629 said:
El Dude said:

As good as Monfils played today, I am hoping his run ends here, because I picked Gulbis to go far, so I hope Ernesto shows up at his best and denies him.

Of the two, I far prefer Monfils, and I don't even care what that means, going forward. :)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
herios said:
Moxie629 said:
El Dude said:

Of the two, I far prefer Monfils, and I don't even care what that means, going forward. :)

You said nothing new to me, I know youdon't like him, but I really believe his committed and I want to see ho far he'll fare.

Nobody commented about the other surprise of the day, Monaco went don today in a grueling setter, to Gimeno-Traver:
4-6, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
El Dude said:

When Berdych took the 4th set I thought he'd win the 5th 6-2 or something. I'm very happy to see Monfils winning. Hasn't he played a lot of tennis these past few weeks? I watched most of the match and I didn't see Monfils fall once. No ridiculous dives. Not a hint of showboating - not that I mind it. It's one of the reasons I watch him to be honest. He just let his tennis do the talking against Berdych and it was good to see. Would love to see him go far but I think he'll be tired.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Monfils might be fatigued after this one and Ernie is playing well. It could be another good one but I also could see Ernie winning in pretty straightforward fashion.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Monfils might be fatigued after this one and Ernie is playing well. It could be another good one but I also could see Ernie winning in pretty straightforward fashion.

In any case, that could be a barn-burner.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

tented said:
tented said:
Mastoor said:

Exactly. Though neither of us could think of Brands taking a set or two of Rafa.

Not that I don't like a thought of it. :rolleyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Mastoor said:
tented said:
tented said:
Mastoor said:

Exactly. Though neither of us could think of Brands taking a set or two of Rafa.

In the end, it was just one set. I'm sure you're as relieved as I am. :p

LOL!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

El Dude said:
I guess this is what it comes down to, fedfans relying on a wayward super talented player like Monfils to ambush Berdych..man, did Berdych get hosed by his draw. Congrats to Monfils, if he serves like today for 4 more rounds, he will make to the last weekend of RG

El Dude said:
I guess this is what it comes down to, fedfans relying on a wayward super talented player like Monfils to ambush Berdych..man, did Berdych get hosed by his draw. Congrats to Monfils, if he serves like today for 4 more rounds, he will make to the last weekend of RG

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
Mastoor said:
tented said:
tented said:
Mastoor said:

In the end, it was just one set. I'm sure you're as relieved as I am. :p

LOL!

Yes, relieved is the word lol

Then I figured out that it was the terrible day for Czech players. Not only that Berd lost to La Monf, but Stepanek lost to an Aussie Greek boy Kyrgis or something. But if you ask Rafa, those are wrong Czechs to be eliminated, aren't they? He may meet Rosol in round 3.

SF Nadalite

Club Member
Reactions

Monfils was amazing against Berdych - talk about an entertaining match. I did feel badly for Berdych, hardly the first round match the #5 seed should get.

I think he will match up well against Gulbis...should be really interesting since it is scheduled to be the featured match on the biggest court, oh boy!!!