Roland Garros Day 8: Sunday, June 1 - Order of Play

R

Rose

Two Matches aren't finished from today so I guess there will have to be a little catching up to do?

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Some very interesting matches tomorrow. Gulbis is a big threat to Federer if he really feels like it, then of course you've got Novak and Jo as well.

I think Federer will come through in four, Djokovic either in straights or five depending on which Tsonga turns up.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's kind of a lot of everyone 'who's going to show up.' Of the matches to finish, Verdasco should be in control over Gasquet. Murray/Kohly is all about who starts at high-speed. Gulbis is always anyone's guess, though I think Roger takes it. (Berdych/Isner and Raonic/Granollers might be a bit "who cares?")

I saw Tsonga interviewed after his win yesterday, and he's rather gunning for Djokovic. Still resents losing the AO to him, and probably the RG match in 2012. And he's playing well. I'd be surprised if it's straights. Might be that Djokovic wins in 4, but with the crowd, and Tsonga in a mood, I'd look for a possible 5-setter.

Rex

Reactions
Ernie G. v Roger and Jo Willy v the Joker is about 6 hours straight of good tennis viewing. I hope the actual matches lives up to the heightened anticipation. Will be watching...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I dont want Nole to have any hiccups in his match against Tsonga.The French crowd will of course be cheering on Joe and Novak will have to shut the French crowd out.Just focus Novak.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
I dont want Nole to have any hiccups in his match against Tsonga.The French crowd will of course be cheering on Joe and Novak will have to shut the French crowd out.Just focus Novak.

You can expect hiccups. The French have a long memory and they will remember how Jo had MP against Novak in 2012. For some reason a loud crowd always bothers Novak. Hopefully he will remember he's in control of what happens on the court and that should help him get through.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Berd breaks John's serve immediately 2-0

This is what I wanted to see... woke up to find Berdych serving for the set. Some of the French lines people look as though they just rolled out of bed and need coffee

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
When Berd plays like this it's hard to understand why he hasn't challenged more

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
When Berd plays like this it's hard to understand why he hasn't challenged more

He gets a lot tighter in the bigger matches. I still wonder what things would have looked like for him this year if he'd beaten Stan in their match back in Oz.

Out of 285 points played, Berdych won 142 of them and lost 3-6, 7-6, 6-7, 6-7 :cover

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
haha! Those are Federesque stats

Roger has a bit of a gauntlet to run to get to Novak... I'm expecting that Gulbis will play him tough. Should he get past Ernie, Tomas is looking very solid here - on clay!

Of course Novak has Jo and then Milos to look forward to. :nono

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Berdy's team looks like a (rather homely) bouquet.

Verdasco serving for the match on Chartrier; up 5-3 in the third.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Happy that Verdasco won. He looked sharped against Gasquet.

Let's see if Murray can pull through this one now. 8-7, 5th set, on serve.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lets go andy lets go..
lets go andy lets go..
lets go andy lets go..
lets go andy lets go..(etc).

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You just never know which leg Murray will grab at after his opponent beats him on a shot. It was the right leg getting massaged yesterday, and he's grabbing at the left one today. :nono

And Gulbis has the break on Fed. Sweet.