Roland Garros Day 6: Friday, May 30 - Order of Play

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Congrats to Roger also for the 12th. round of 16, passing Vilas in that regard. It is obviously just a stat but still impressive having that kind of longevity.

In another weird stat, Verdasco becomes just the 6th man in Open Era to come back from two sets down at all 4 slams (Federer, Becker, Krickstein, Noah, Nalbandian)

Cool stat. When did Roger do it at the US Open? Must have been when he was younger as in before 2003. I remember him rallying from 2 sets down at AO vs. Berd in 2009, he did it against Del Po in 2012 at RG, and against Falla in 2010 Wimbledon.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'm disappointed to see Simon out :(

BTW What is with Raonic and the sleeve? I hope he has a white one for Wimbledon.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
BTW What is with Raonic and the sleeve? I hope he has a white one for Wimbledon.

Supposedly it was covering up some rash, and now he's gotten used to it. Maybe his lucky cuff.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
In another weird stat, Verdasco becomes just the 6th man in Open Era to come back from two sets down at all 4 slams (Federer, Becker, Krickstein, Noah, Nalbandian)

Federer has been down two sets in all 4 Slams, and come back? Trivia points to whomever comes up with the answers.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Moxie629 said:
1972Murat said:

Federer has been down two sets in all 4 Slams, and come back? Trivia points to whomever comes up with the answers.

Already done at the top of the page by Darth and myself:)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Moxie629 said:
1972Murat said:

Already done at the top of the page by Darth and myself:)

I missed that…so the other one was against Haas at the French.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually forgot about the Haas one (and most important comeback he has ever made) but got the most recent one at RG.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Shocked to see guys like Verdasco and Nalbandian on the list. You'd expect those to be players that have blown 2 set leads at all 4 slams, not come back from 2 sets down.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Shocked to see guys like Verdasco and Nalbandian on the list. You'd expect those to be players that have blown 2 set leads at all 4 slams, not come back from 2 sets down.

Funny, but I find Verdasco and Nalbandian less surprising. Mostly because they're the guys that tend to get themselves in a hole, and do occasionally dig themselves out. The reason I was surprised about Roger is not that he could get himself out, but that he would get himself into it, in the first place. He's such a front runner. Anyway, it should be noted that Federer has dug himself out of a big deficit and gone on the win the tournament. Verdasco and Nalbandian survived only to lose on another day. I can't say for the others.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I'm pretty sure every great player, aside from Rafa at RG, has been down 2 sets at all 4 slams. You play enough slams, with many being before and after your prime, it is bound to happen.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Well I'm pretty sure every great player, aside from Rafa at RG, has been down 2 sets at all 4 slams. You play enough slams, with many being before and after your prime, it is bound to happen.

It's no diss, Darth, if you're taking it that way. If anything, it's in admiration, because people tend to think that Roger doesn't tend to scrap back. So there's the proof.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Wasn't taking it as a diss, just kind of explaining why it's not that surprising that he has been down 2 sets a decent amount of times. Everyone is going to have plenty of opportunities to rally from 2 sets down even though the opportunities won't make them the least bit happy :)

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
really hoping berdych loses but then again im pretty sure fed might not beat isner with his slice returns so who am i kidding. this sucksss ughh

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Wasn't taking it as a diss, just kind of explaining why it's not that surprising that he has been down 2 sets a decent amount of times. Everyone is going to have plenty of opportunities to rally from 2 sets down even though the opportunities won't make them the least bit happy :)

And as many times as Fed has contested all of the Slams, I guess he'd have had to come back from 2 sets down on occasion. The point is coming back, I guess. :)