Roland Garros Day 4: Wednesday, May 28 - Order of Play

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
federberg said:
He was decent to watch but I could never understand the big deal made about his grand slam appearances. I mean... so what!? Celebrating mediocrity when it comes down to it...

It was more like celebrating personality for me. I never expected him to do great. I just liked watching him.

Exactly. His matches inevitably had an exhibition quality to them. Very entertaining. And he loved it, too. He always looked like he was having a great time.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
1972Murat said:
federberg said:
He was decent to watch but I could never understand the big deal made about his grand slam appearances. I mean... so what!? Celebrating mediocrity when it comes down to it...

It was more like celebrating personality for me. I never expected him to do great. I just liked watching him.

Exactly. His matches inevitably had an exhibition quality to them. Very entertaining. And he loved it, too. He always looked like he was having a great time.

I have to put this up. A little intermission. Federer v. Santoro at the USO 2005. I was at this match. It is the most fun I've ever had watching a tennis match, including exhibitions. There's a tweener in one of the first shots, and then go to minute 8'17" for another Magician shot. (Though the whole thing is fun to watch.)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp05kCONoi4[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
1972Murat said:
federberg said:

I have to put this up. A little intermission. Federer v. Santoro at the USO 2005. I was at this match. It is the most fun I've ever had watching a tennis match, including exhibitions. There's a tweener in one of the first shots, and then go to minute 8'17" for another Magician shot. (Though the whole thing is fun to watch.)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp05kCONoi4[/video]

Very enjoyable to watch indeed!!!! I recall that match and Santoro could bedevil top players like nobody's business. Wow does Roger look young and fresh! He is moving extremely well and hits so well on the run--lots of good passing shots off both wings. It occurred to me that his victory in the US Open that year (2005) was his sixth--which is the number of majors Novak has now. Federer had that many slams nine years ago--just to add some perspective. Wow!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jerzy wins in 3! Good on him maybe he can build on this going into grass.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Berdych-Agut in the third round is a tricky one. My money is on Agut.

You may be right....that is a tough one to call...depends on which Berdych show up. A match up of flat power hitters.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
The Dog was a disappointing loser. After some big wins and a somewhat decent clay season....meh.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
britbox said:
He'll be playing Stepanek, whose just knocked Youhzny.

That was a surprising result.

Personally, I'm never shocked when Stepanek pulls off a win, especially against any player with a weak-ish head. He's super-crafty, and all the doubles play has helped.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
britbox said:
He'll be playing Stepanek, whose just knocked Youhzny.

That was a surprising result.

Personally, I'm never shocked when Stepanek pulls off a win, especially against any player with a weak-ish head. He's super-crafty, and all the doubles play has helped.

True enough...he is always difficult to play...but Youz has had a decent season.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I won't bother going back and quoting, but I don`t think Simon will make it another round. Raonic seems pretty confident and on-form, and Simon is nursing an injury. As to Berdy v. RBA…Berdych isn't a shoe-in. I hope RBA pulls off the upset.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I won't bother going back and quoting, but I don`t think Simon will make it another round. Raonic seems pretty confident and on-form, and Simon is nursing an injury. As to Berdy v. RBA…Berdych isn't a shoe-in. I hope RBA pulls off the upset.

I give Simon a significant chance of making things very difficult for Milos. He will keep him out there in long neutral rallies forcing Milos to pull the trigger. He had a very easy 2nd round match and will be fit.

In the end Raonic is the favorite, but if he is impatient, it won't be easy. Of course if he is blasting serves in at a high percentage and really feeling the forehand, then it may be one sided.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

I give Simon a significant chance of making things very difficult for Milos. He will keep him out there in long neutral rallies forcing Milos to pull the trigger. He had a very easy 2nd round match and will be fit.

In the end Raonic is the favorite, but if he is impatient, it won't be easy. Of course if he is blasting serves in at a high percentage and really feeling the forehand, then it may be one sided.

All good points, but I am seeing a more mature Raonic of late. He seems unlikely to blow it, if you ask me, and I'm no fan. Of the younger guys, I find him one of the sturdier and more committed. I thought he played an impressive match against Djokovic in Rome, and he didn't even serve particularly well in that match. Simon relies on the pace of others. Raonic would really have to blow it strategically to let Gilles get him.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

All good points, but I am seeing a more mature Raonic of late. He seems unlikely to blow it, if you ask me, and I'm no fan. Of the younger guys, I find him one of the sturdier and more committed. I thought he played an impressive match against Djokovic in Rome, and he didn't even serve particularly well in that match. Simon relies on the pace of others. Raonic would really have to blow it strategically to let Gilles get him.
Totally agree. Raonic would have to blow it. Simon, however, can force players to red line. Simon will also have the French crowd with him.

I'm also no big fan either. Djokovic pulled a rabbit out of a hat in Rome...he looked miserable playing the big man.

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions
Oh man. My favorite Rafa vs my favorite up-n-commer, Thiem.

I caaant

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

Gilles played a very solid match previously. If he can weather Raonic's serving, make the big guy hit the extra shots in each point - I can see him winning this one.