Roland Garros Day 2: Monday, May 26 - Order of Play

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan is in all out clown mode in this match and against a solid clay courter he isn't going to survive with that type of effort.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Stan doesn't look dug in to make a match of this. I think he goes down tonight in 4.

I wish I could disagree.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Question is will Stan break for a breadstick or get served a glazed donut?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan should look at the positive. At least he got to lose in the Center court.:laydownlaughing

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Since becoming only the 2nd player outside Fedal, Djokovic and Murray to win a slam, Stan seems unable to find his mojo. His Oz trophy looks more and more to be a freak occurrence outside his normal game rather than the promise of better things to come.

Really thought he would step it up here.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
There goes my champ in the slam challenge...I am assuming it is a bit late to change???

No kidding Murat. I didn't have him winning, but did have him getting to the final. Good grief Stan. I will never pick you for anything else ever again. :nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The warm-ups mean something. The two players who caused upsets are title winners
in small warm-up tourneys. GGL in Casablanca and MK in Munich.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Since becoming only the 2nd player outside Fedal, Djokovic and Murray to win a slam, Stan seems unable to find his mojo. His Oz trophy looks more and more to be a freak occurrence outside his normal game rather than the promise of better things to come.

Really thought he would step it up here.

Bit Harsh. He did win monte carlo!

I think we need to not compare him so much to the extreme consistency of Rafa, Novak, and Rog. He looks like he is the type of player who's form should be taken on a tourney by tourney basis. More like Andy who is capable of great and terrible tennis. Hence why Andy only won one slam and one master last year.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:

I am not saying this with the benefit of hindsight here, as I and others said this after Stan's win at the AO: The AO win wasn't a sign of things to come. Stan will be Stan: More consistent than most (in the sense that he'll continue to be a top 10 player or somewhere within that vicinity), extremely dangerous on his day (in the sense that he can hit anyone off the court), but pretty inconsistent compared to the elite. One slam win at a late stage of his career was unlikely to change that. It might give him more belief when he squares off against Nadal, Federer or Novak again, but getting to them is the problem.