Roland Garros Day 2: Monday, May 26 - Order of Play

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Play has resumed and Djokovic quickly closes out his first set 6-1. I like Sousa, but he has no weapons...

R

Rose

Kirijax said:
Wow. What a HUGE disappointment by Nishikori. aka Mr. Glass.
Sadly this is Nishikori's problem. He has been hurt in a lot of Tournaments in his career. He has the talent, but sadly not the body!

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Short rain delay. Novak invites the kid holding the umbrella to come sit with him, takes the umbrella and gives the kid his racquet! Then offers him a bottle of Perrier. They clink bottles. Priceless.

R

Rose

fashionista said:
The player that has 8 RG titles and the no 1 player gets to open his defence on Susan Lenglen?
I see the French have a twisted sense of humour.

Maybe that is because he is playing Robby who only got a Wildcard into the F.O. because he won his first CH in 11 years. And Robby's reward is that he gets to play Rafa :snigger Robby shouldn't even have made the trip!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
ESPN2 has decided to continue coverage instead of stopping at 10 in US.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
On top of putting Rafa in SL, they put it as the 3rd match and so Rafa has to wait now
with all the rain delay. At least, they could have put him in the 1st or 2nd slot.
However, as the 1st round is spread over three days, even if Rafa could not complete
it today, he won't have to play back to back days.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Novak has the break in the third. Sousa hitting himself in the head with his racquet, thankfully with the strings only.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Joao is swinging for the fences on every shot, making some inroads here in the third set. Still down 4-5

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Joao is swinging for the fences on every shot, making some inroads here in the third set. Still down 4-5

I am listening on the radio. Glad Novak was able to get through in spite of the hiccup.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
nehmeth said:

I am listening on the radio. Glad Novak was able to get through in spite of the hiccup.

The courts are really wet and heavy. I think Montanes rolled his ankle playing earlier, and Novak almost did here. The last set he was not sliding to the ball at all, smart fellow. Joao was going for the lines on almost every shot. It wasn't a hiccup or loss of focus for Djoker - just playing it safe. :)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, Novak has trouble concentrating. He lost serve two times in the final set.
Hopefully, it is because of the easy opponent and the rain. Let us see.......

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Oops, Davy does it again (losing in the 1st round). Is anyone keeping track of his streak
length on this?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Riotbeard said:
nehmeth said:

The courts are really wet and heavy. I think Montanes rolled his ankle playing earlier, and Novak almost did here. The last set he was not sliding to the ball at all, smart fellow. Joao was going for the lines on almost every shot. It wasn't a hiccup or loss of focus for Djoker - just playing it safe. :)

Yes, that was a factor too!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Riotbeard said:
nehmeth said:

Cilic was talking about the courts as being like mud. The really want to preserve play, but they could risk getting some injuries. Glad novak made it unscathed.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:

And he's totally messed up my draw. :mad: I thought Klizan would but tough, but what I saw, he looked great. But that is a big disappointment for Kei. There was a fair amount of attention on him going into RG.

Back injury in Madrid, heading into the most grueling of the Slams? That's almost as bad as voting Potato Starch for your WC. :snigger

Djokovic had a wrist injury that made him skip Madrid, and nobody thinks it's weird picking him to win or make the finals. ;)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:

And he's totally messed up my draw. :mad: I thought Klizan would but tough, but what I saw, he looked great. But that is a big disappointment for Kei. There was a fair amount of attention on him going into RG.

Back injury in Madrid, heading into the most grueling of the Slams? That's almost as bad as voting Potato Starch for your WC. :snigger

Djokovic had a wrist injury that made him skip Madrid, and nobody thinks it's weird picking him to win or make the finals. ;)

Prolly cause he spanked the Bull in Rome?? ;)