Roger's stellar season (ESPN)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Given both their respective forms this year, Federer losing to Del Potro in the USO 1/4 final was a very poor result. Don't think too many people would have expected him to lose that early if fully fit which he wasn't. Much to AP's disappointment too (since he claimed DP "brought him back down to Earth), even with a gammy back Roger barely lost that match. Getting injured in Montreal cost him winning that match for one thing and if anyone thinks it's normal for Federer to struggle and go 5 sets with Youzhny at this point in their careers, they need to give up watching tennis and take up a new sport. He was clearly hampered all that tournament so, yes, playing Montreal was a dumb move and cost him going much deeper in the USO. No one said he was clearly penciled in as the winner if fit but he would've been the clear number 1 favourite.
Front are you saying Roger had a bad back during the USO....Are you saying you are upset with Roger for not winning Montreal because he had a sore back..then its true..when Roger wins its due to his superior tennis but when he looses it due to ailments

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Front are you saying Roger had a bad back during the USO....Are you saying you are upset with Roger for not winning Montreal because he had a sore back..then its true..when Roger wins its due to his superior tennis but when he looses it due to ailments

Are you for real? It's common knowledge he had a bad back at the USO. He went 5 sets with Tiafoe and Youzhny ffs. I couldn't give a toss about Montreal but he did himself no favours playing injured there and wasn't fit at the USO. Who the hell said when he loses it's due to ailments? This is a high intensity sport and of course he needed to be physically fit to win and to play his "superior tennis". He wasn't. He lost. That's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
moxie. Will you please,tell him who brought up ROGER'S ailments..hint..it wasn't Rafa's favorite poster

Let me give you a clue, as you seem a bit confused by some obvious differences. If you're worried about a players injuries before a tournament it's entirely different from if the player is running around like a jack rabbit during the tournament and he then proceeds to lose. Complaining about an injury then is excuse making in my view. Worrying about an injury beforehand? Entirely different matter

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't disagree with a single sentence in this post (truly), but if a Nadal fan said something similar about Rafa we know how the reaction would have been...

Don't agree at all. A 5 time USO champ who had the best form on tour this year and had beaten the 2nd best player this year 3 straight times prior to the USO would clearly have been the favourite. Same would be said of Nadal on clay and even on 1 leg.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Let me give you a clue, as you seem a bit confused by some obvious differences. If you're worried about a players injuries before a tournament it's entirely different from if the player is running around like a jack rabbit during the tournament and he then proceeds to lose. Complaining about an injury then is excuse making in my view. Worrying that an injury beforehand? Entirely different matter

It's sad that this even needs to be explained.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah good on JMDP for barely beating 36 year old Federer with a bad back at the USO. What a feat. Fact is, even with a gammy back Roger had chances to win that match but made a ton of bad errors on the big points cos his movement and timing were well off. He quite possibly could have beaten him at Basel too as his back wasn't in good nick there either but gramps played the bigger points better that day. The margins are so small at the top and yet Del Potro can barely beat an ailing Roger these days. His form is being over exaggerated and he was playing better in 2016 tbh. Things just worked out well for him with the draw at the USO this year or he'd never had made the semis.
Gaming back and ailing Roger..Please explain this to your boy Federerberg..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
hmmm... no doubt they meant a chance at the US Open. Even the most deluded Fed fanboy wouldn't think it was a lock
There is some doubt that all of your compadres have qualified their opinions. Busted surely claimed that Federer blew the USO and YE#1 by playing in Canada, but she's not around to defend herself. Darth and Front have both implied it. You don't want to be swept in with all Fed fans, in terms of opinion, but you don't get to tell us what they "meant" to say, either, especially if you're not reading carefully.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let me give you a clue, as you seem a bit confused by some obvious differences. If you're worried about a players injuries before a tournament it's entirely different from if the player is running around like a jack rabbit during the tournament and he then proceeds to lose. Complaining about an injury then is excuse making in my view. Worrying about an injury beforehand? Entirely different matter
This is where we all part ways, and I don't completely understand it. Federer carries a back injury, sometimes. It's his Achilles heel, and has been for some time. Nadal has had tendonitis in his knees for most of his career. It has been there for everyone to see and read about. I think we all understand that. Fed fans keep saying that Nadal was "running around like a jack rabbit" even during the FO in '09. But you do know that he carried that injury, which is degenerative, into that tournament, in the same way that Roger carried his back injury into the USO this year. Forget excuses. I think we all know where these top champions carry pain and are vulnerable. Isn't that fair to say?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Given both their respective forms this year, Federer losing to Del Potro in the USO 1/4 final was a very poor result. Don't think too many people would have expected him to lose that early if fully fit which he wasn't. Much to AP's disappointment too (since he claimed DP "brought him back down to Earth), even with a gammy back Roger barely lost that match. Getting injured in Montreal cost him winning that match for one thing and if anyone thinks it's normal for Federer to struggle and go 5 sets with Youzhny at this point in their careers, they need to give up watching tennis and take up a new sport. He was clearly hampered all that tournament so, yes, playing Montreal was a dumb move and cost him going much deeper in the USO. No one said he was clearly penciled in as the winner if fit but he would've been the clear number 1 favourite.
Your assessment is to my point, and Broken's. You make an excuse for the loss to JMDP and his other matches at the USO, and proclaim him the otherwise favorite, had it not been for his back. You are absolutely making an excuse for his loss of the USO because he had a bad back. Let's admit it: everyone thinks that this recent USO was a free one for the last elite man standing. Some Fed fans have made very snide remarks about Nadal not having to beat anyone of a decent ranking, and calling it the equivalent of a 250. Folks are just mad that Roger didn't take advantage of an opportunity, and it was one. But let's call it what it is: you're making an injury excuse that it wasn't Roger with a solid chance for the title. I think Rafa would have beaten him, if he'd gotten past del Potro, but I bet you don't.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Don't agree at all. A 5 time USO champ who had the best form on tour this year and had beaten the 2nd best player this year 3 straight times prior to the USO would clearly have been the favourite. Same would be said of Nadal on clay and even on 1 leg.

You completely missed the point.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is where we all part ways, and I don't completely understand it. Federer carries a back injury, sometimes. It's his Achilles heel, and has been for some time. Nadal has had tendonitis in his knees for most of his career. It has been there for everyone to see and read about. I think we all understand that. Fed fans keep saying that Nadal was "running around like a jack rabbit" even during the FO in '09. But you do know that he carried that injury, which is degenerative, into that tournament, in the same way that Roger carried his back injury into the USO this year. Forget excuses. I think we all know where these top champions carry pain and are vulnerable. Isn't that fair to say?

Hold on, hold on... am I reading you right? You're basically saying that we should give Roger and Rafa an in built excuse every time they play? Really? I'm sorry that just doesn't cut it. And please don't equate what happened in Montreal to Roger to what happened to Rafa in 2009. Let's be serious here. I don't recall Rafa tanking a match due to injury in the clay stretch. And yes he was running around like a jack rabbit in RG. He absolutely tuned Hewitt the match before. Please don't go there.

Reactions: Front242

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
There is some doubt that all of your compadres have qualified their opinions. Busted surely claimed that Federer blew the USO and YE#1 by playing in Canada, but she's not around to defend herself. Darth and Front have both implied it. You don't want to be swept in with all Fed fans, in terms of opinion, but you don't get to tell us what they "meant" to say, either, especially if you're not reading carefully.

I've already said that it was far from a sure thing that Roger would've won USO and been YE #1 if he didn't get hurt. All I've said is he was going to be the clear favorite for both. But that all went out the window when he got hurt at a tournament he shouldn't have played. I think we all knew chances were high his back wasn't going to be right after one week.

The back injury was a fact, similar to Nadal at 2011 AO against Ferrer and AO 2014 vs Stan. The 09 injury is a hot debate for many reasons as Rafa didn't exactly show many signs before the tournament that he was ailing. His only loss on clay that year was the Madrid final to Roger and that one plays like a slow hard court. Where I differ from Rafa fans is that I refuse to say "Roger definitely would've won if healthy". I don't think it can be disputed that he'd have been the heavy favorite to win USO if Montreal didn't happen...opportunity missed indeed. Same with #1, I specifically mentioned in a post that the only way Fed wouldn't get it is if he stunk it up at the USO and Nadal won the tournament. I knew Fed could easily outplay Rafa during the Fall in his sleep, just needed the deficit to be around 1,000 or less.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Your assessment is to my point, and Broken's. You make an excuse for the loss to JMDP and his other matches at the USO, and proclaim him the otherwise favorite, had it not been for his back. You are absolutely making an excuse for his loss of the USO because he had a bad back. Let's admit it: everyone thinks that this recent USO was a free one for the last elite man standing. Some Fed fans have made very snide remarks about Nadal not having to beat anyone of a decent ranking, and calling it the equivalent of a 250. Folks are just mad that Roger didn't take advantage of an opportunity, and it was one. But let's call it what it is: you're making an injury excuse that it wasn't Roger with a solid chance for the title. I think Rafa would have beaten him, if he'd gotten past del Potro, but I bet you don't.

Yes, the favourite if not for his back. And? So? Your point? Where does that say I said he'd win if 100% healthy? I'll tell you where. Nowhere. Favourites don't always win as we all know but he still would have been the clear favourite if healthy given his form this year, the fact that he's won it 5 times (consecutively, no less) and had a winning h2h over the next best player in the draw this year. Who's making an injury excuse? This wasn't a case of the emperor's new clothes with an imaginary injury that only certain fans could see. Did you even watch how stiff, rigid and downright poor his movement was against Youzhny and Tiafoe? 5 sets with Youzhny in 2017 who hasn't been a good player for probably a decade should tell you something was wrong with Roger.

And as for your bolded part above, you're wrong again because, no, I would not have expected him to beat Rafa if he'd beaten Del Potro because Roger was clearly hampered and playing like crap and he won't beat the top players if not healthy. I don't really consider Del Potro 2017 a top player (he was better last year) and Roger only narrowly lost even with a bad back but stop with the nonsense about excuses when everyone could actually see he was injured. This is different than just some silly web page claiming player X is injured and nobody can tell any difference from watching them. He was sluggish, lateral movement was off and eventhough he's been slower running to his forehand side for years now, it's even more apparent when he's got back issues and can't stretch out properly. Oh and in case you missed it (clearly you have since you think Federer fans are making "injury excuses"), Roger's been serving like dog $h1t since Montreal. Wonder why. Could it be you need to arch and twist your back while serving? Excuses my ass. Anyone could see there was something wrong as he hasn't been playing remotely well for months now. Night and day difference from the start of the year when he was rested and healthy but feel free to keep telling yourself and others here that Federer fans are just making excuses. :facepalm:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm actually curious to know which Federer fans said he would have won the US Open if not for Montreal. As Front says, claiming he would have been a strong favourite is an entirely different thing from saying he would definitely win.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hold on, hold on... am I reading you right? You're basically saying that we should give Roger and Rafa an in built excuse every time they play? Really? I'm sorry that just doesn't cut it. And please don't equate what happened in Montreal to Roger to what happened to Rafa in 2009. Let's be serious here. I don't recall Rafa tanking a match due to injury in the clay stretch. And yes he was running around like a jack rabbit in RG. He absolutely tuned Hewitt the match before. Please don't go there.
No, of course I'm not saying that. But when they're carrying an injury, it might be part of what catches them up. For example, Darth cites the Tiafoe and Youzhny matches as indictors of Roger's back issues. I have no problem with that. But I know you refuse to believe that Rafa's knees were going in 2009, so we won't bother to go over that.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm actually curious to know which Federer fans said he would have won the US Open if not for Montreal. As Front says, claiming he would have been a strong favourite is an entirely different thing from saying he would definitely win.
Given that I'm unwilling to go hunting back, which seems puny anyway, I'll retract the claim. As you say, it would be ridiculous to claim it outright, but there has been a lot of gnashing of teeth about how Roger blew his chances at USO and YE#1, which gets a bit tiresome for those of us fans of the guy who actually got those 2. But you all have a right to your what ifs. Still, I'm with Broken on this: if Rafa fans had spent as much time on the what ifs since Montreal, you lot would be eating us for lunch.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, the favourite if not for his back. And? So? Your point? Where does that say I said he'd win if 100% healthy? I'll tell you where. Nowhere. Favourites don't always win as we all know but he still would have been the clear favourite if healthy given his form this year, the fact that he's won it 5 times (consecutively, no less) and had a winning h2h over the next best player in the draw this year. Who's making an injury excuse? This wasn't a case of the emperor's new clothes with an imaginary injury that only certain fans could see. Did you even watch how stiff, rigid and downright poor his movement was against Youzhny and Tiafoe? 5 sets with Youzhny in 2017 who hasn't been a good player for probably a decade should tell you something was wrong with Roger.

And as for your bolded part above, you're wrong again because, no, I would not have expected him to beat Rafa if he'd beaten Del Potro because Roger was clearly hampered and playing like crap and he won't beat the top players if not healthy. I don't really consider Del Potro 2017 a top player (he was better last year) and Roger only narrowly lost even with a bad back but stop with the nonsense about excuses when everyone could actually see he was injured. This is different than just some silly web page claiming player X is injured and nobody can tell any difference from watching them. He was sluggish, lateral movement was off and eventhough he's been slower running to his forehand side for years now, it's even more apparent when he's got back issues and can't stretch out properly. Oh and in case you missed it (clearly you have since you think Federer fans are making "injury excuses"), Roger's been serving like dog $h1t since Montreal. Wonder why. Could it be you need to arch and twist your back while serving? Excuses my ass. Anyone could see there was something wrong as he hasn't been playing remotely well for months now. Night and day difference from the start of the year when he was rested and healthy but feel free to keep telling yourself and others here that Federer fans are just making excuses. :facepalm:
As I just said above, I have no problem believing that Roger was hampered by his back. And yes, sometimes you can really see it in his serve. If you don't call it an injury "excuse," but an injury "explanation," does that help? It's just that Fed fans have never bought hearing from Nadal fans that there were injury explanations to some (not a lot) of his losses. It's just that now the shoe is on the other foot, and you guys are kind of blind to the double-standard. Anyway, @britbox is fond of saying: if you show up to play, then you imply that you're fit enough. Personally, I don't buy it, but I've heard it aimed at my guy a lot over the years. And not just from the Baron.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Given that I'm unwilling to go hunting back, which seems puny anyway, I'll retract the claim. As you say, it would be ridiculous to claim it outright, but there has been a lot of gnashing of teeth about how Roger blew his chances at USO and YE#1, which gets a bit tiresome for those of us fans of the guy who actually got those 2. But you all have a right to your what ifs. Still, I'm with Broken on this: if Rafa fans had spent as much time on the what ifs since Montreal, you lot would be eating us for lunch.

There you go again, I’m sorry but this is not the same thing. Show us the time when Rafa got injured at a pre slam tournament where Rafa fans had stated beforehand that he was jeopardising his chances of ye1 or winning the following slam where he was the obvious favourite? Where is the what if here? Most of us wanted him to avoid Montreal and at most play Cincinnati. I do agree that if people were minimising Rafa’s victory because of Rogers stupidity then that was in poor taste. I get why that would tick you off, and I think I recall one poster going on about it. As I said at the time Federer got exactly what he deserved Rafa won fair and square. I got a bit irritated with all the BS about Fedal being lucky Murray and Novak being around this year. If that’s the kind of what ifism you were referring to then I get it. I confess reading that somewhere and being tempted to jump to Rafa’s defence. Look I’m not going to say that next time I’ll voice my disapproval because obviously I hope the scenario never plays out, but I should have said something for sure

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There you go again, I’m sorry but this is not the same thing. Show us the time when Rafa got injured at a pre slam tournament where Rafa fans had stated beforehand that he was jeopardising his chances of ye1 or winning the following slam where he was the obvious favourite? Where is the what if here? Most of us wanted him to avoid Montreal and at most play Cincinnati. I do agree that if people were minimising Rafa’s victory because of Rogers stupidity then that was in poor taste. I get why that would tick you off, and I think I recall one poster going on about it. As I said at the time Federer got exactly what he deserved Rafa won fair and square. I got a bit irritated with all the BS about Fedal being lucky Murray and Novak being around this year. If that’s the kind of what ifism you were referring to then I get it. I confess reading that somewhere and being tempted to jump to Rafa’s defence. Look I’m not going to say that next time I’ll voice my disapproval because obviously I hope the scenario never plays out, but I should have said something for sure
That is a good and fair post, and I appreciate your generosity. However, I will give you an example, which I have laid out before. You have to understand that it's never going to be an exact 1:1, and I agree that Federer's was a shortened timeline. But hear me out on this: as I've said, after winning the AO in `09, in 2 back-to-back tough 5-setters, Rafa very ill-advisedly played Rotterdam. I've linked to it before and won't again, but his knees gave out and he could barely move v. Murray in that final. His fans were very angry that he hadn't skipped Rotterdam. Ok, yes, he did well-enough through the subsequent season, with his knees strapped, but then there was that brutal SF v. Djokovic in Madrid. All of this leading up to Roland Garros. I know you'll say it's a much longer time-line, but at least believe me that Nadal fans saw this all as a march to the end of his knees. And partly out of his own stupidity and hubris over thinking he could just play everything. It's similar enough, and we've been mad at him for that Rotterdam tournament for 8 years. It makes perfect sense that a non-Nadal fan wasn't looking at it that closely, but it does explain, I hope, why we saw his knees going, and you and others, who weren't fans, thought the knees-thing came up all too suddenly.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As I just said above, I have no problem believing that Roger was hampered by his back. And yes, sometimes you can really see it in his serve. If you don't call it an injury "excuse," but an injury "explanation," does that help? It's just that Fed fans have never bought hearing from Nadal fans that there were injury explanations to some (not a lot) of his losses. It's just that now the shoe is on the other foot, and you guys are kind of blind to the double-standard. Anyway, @britbox is fond of saying: if you show up to play, then you imply that you're fit enough. Personally, I don't buy it, but I've heard it aimed at my guy a lot over the years. And not just from the Baron.

What don't you buy? My reasoning is that if you show up to play then you think you're fit enough to play and shouldn't be able to fall back on ready made excuses. That doesn't mean you're 100% fit. Most players won't be 100% fit.

Did Nadal get injured to the point where he couldn't play during the Soderling match? No. Was he 100% fit? No, to that as well. Could he have played Wimbledon? Probably. He chose not to because he didn't think he was fit enough to have a chance of winning it and thought rest and recuperation would serve him better.

Federer was probably in a similar position at the USO this year but took a punt and played it, thinking he might improve as he tournament evolved, but in hindsight admitted that the he was going to be in trouble the first time he met a "live" opponent.