Roger's stellar season (ESPN)

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What was the h2h between the two at the grand slam s only

cherry picking much? Roger does better against Djoker in 3 sets matches simply because he physically can last it, while a war of attrition would always favour guys who are much younger......and in Novak's case it was in his physical prime. But game vs game, Roger's post prime still gave peak Novak a run for money.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sure, but "invincible Novak" was 2011 and 2015 to early 2016 - a span totally about 2.5 years. I'm not sure what your point is...that Novak at his very best would beat Roger in 2017? Probably, but I think it would be closer than it was in 2015-16, when Novak was 6-3 vs Roger. Maybe 5-4?

Novak was playing high level with some of the best consistency ever but it was far from 'invincible'..... Fed can beat an absolute peak Novak (Stan also did), also certain other players are closer to 'invincible' as they are capable of higher level but don't produce as often.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You lost me with the bit about Federer not playing Murray benefiting Roger enormously... you're clutching at straws with that one AP... This is the same Murray who has beaten Federer once in the last five years I presume?

Roger wouldn't have maintained his 2017 level if he'd played the clay swing. He's cherry picking the season so he can be competitive when he needs to be. He's in a position to do it and still racks up enough points to finish in the Top 2. It's a smart way to manage his body.
not really clutching at straws BB..by not facing Andy and Novak..Roger's lone obstacle was just to minimize Rafa's time to hit the ball. On one hand it's absolute brilliant by Roger and team Fed and complete bafoonism by Rafa not to counter Roger..There isn't one player in the top 10 including Berydch that struggles with Roger like Rafa does on the hardcourts. It's absolutely embarrassing that Rafa can barely win a set vs Roger but lesser player like Tiafoe can force Roger into uncomfortable position on the court. This is Worst than Rafa's problem vs Novak the past 5 years.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hitting that flat backhand down the line would probably be welcomed by Novak. Novak’s balls are flatter than Rafa so Roger doesn’t have all day and night to strike the ball like he does against Nadal. If you feel that 37 year old Roger is significantly better than 32-33 old Roger than its your perception. Let’s be honest making a grand slam final with facing Novak or Andy has benefitted Roger tremendously throughout 2017. I would take 2013-2016 Novak over Roger any day. (Novak played the clay tournaments and still won over 80% of his matches. Do you think Roger couple have maintain his 2017 level had he played the clay?

how stupid is that? facing Murray/Novak in 2017 would be great for Roger as they both were in crap form, try and find a better argument. As to Roger maintain his 2017 level if he played on clay? you can't prove nothing, all you do is cherry pick and make assumption to belittle someone you dislike......such is your small mind. All you need to know is, the guy you really hate won the most than all others players who played more. Get your facts right and move on dumbass.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
not really clutching at straws BB..by not facing Andy and Novak..Roger's lone obstacle was just to minimize Rafa's time to hit the ball. On one hand it's absolute brilliant by Roger and team Fed and complete bafoonism by Rafa not to counter Roger..There isn't one player in the top 10 including Berydch that struggles with Roger like Rafa does on the hardcourts. It's absolutely embarrassing that Rafa can barely win a set vs Roger but lesser player like Tiafoe can force Roger into uncomfortable position on the court. This is Worst than Rafa's problem vs Novak the past 5 years.

again dumbass statement from someone who know nothing about the sport. Tiafoe? Roger's form was shockingly bad coming into USO that he also nearly got his butt kicked by Youzny.......just move if you don't even know that.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
If Roger back was injured why didn't he take the 5-10 min medical timeout in the U SO 17 like he did against Rafa at AO17..ROGER absolutely froze Stan in the semifinals and put Rafa on ice in the finals..Even Darth admits that and regards it as payback from previous encounters vs Nadal.

Stan took a BS MTO after dropping the first two sets that match. And I won't bother listing all of Rafa's fake MTO's to freeze Roger because we know Moxie will go crazy over them. Let's just say what Roger did in the final pales in comparison to taking a bathroom break before your opponent serves for the match.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Given the AO final, I don't think you can say that endurance is his main problem. Certainly he'd found the fountain of youth at the beginning of the year. Perhaps it helped that he was well-rested, and maybe it fell off later in the year.

So because he beat your boy in a 5th set it means his endurance is just as good as when he was in his 20's?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

I won't even go into your comment about Tiafoe, surely you'll recant that. But why mention Andy Murray. Do you realise that Murray has struggled to even win a set against Roger in the last few years? I wish Federer played him every day. Please be realistic

Reactions: mrzz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Apparently, Rafa opined today that "peak Novak > peak Federer". :rolleyes:
I listened to the interview in Spanish that you provided. That isn't what he said. Naturally, the truth is longer and more diplomatic. Basically, he was asked, during a long, sit-down interview, if Federer was the best he'd ever faced, and Rafa said, well, that's complicated to say. He said he was the best in the history of the sport, but he said he'd also faced Djokovic at his best, and he was pretty intractable. Something like that.

I'd say that was understandable, given his H2Hs with each.

Reactions: Federberg

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I won't even go into your comment about Tiafoe, surely you'll recant that. But why mention Andy Murray. Do you realise that Murray has struggled to even win a set against Roger in the last few years? I wish Federer played him every day. Please be realistic
You are truly missing my point, Roger had the luxury of not battling the twins(Novak and Andy) as he cruise to all his tournaments titles in 2017.. Regardless of Andy’s recent struggles with Roger, their matches still takes a toll on Roger as he tries to claim a grand slam title. Look at Roger's record the past 5 years especially in the grand slam when he had to encounter the other big 3. If you think its folly, then the same came be said of Darth’s ascertain that Roger should have a better H2h vs Nadal.. As for Tiafoe.. he is a bigger threat to Roger on hardcourts than Rafa. It’s the truth

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You are truly missing my point, Roger had the luxury of not battling the twins(Novak and Andy) as he cruise to all his tournaments titles in 2017.. Regardless of Andy’s recent struggles with Roger, their matches still takes a toll on Roger as he tries to claim a grand slam title. Look at Roger's record the past 5 years especially in the grand slam when he had to encounter the other big 3. If you think its folly, then the same came be said of Darth’s ascertain that Roger should have a better H2h vs Nadal.. As for Tiafoe.. he is a bigger threat to Roger on hardcourts than Rafa. It’s the truth

Why do you keep bringing up Murray? Your point would make more sense if you just mentioned Novak. Federer goes thru Murray like a hot knife through butter. Please think about it a bit more. You are then comparing Roger of 2017 to the last 5 years when he has clearly played better tennis this year. This isn't a comparison that makes sense at all. Nor does your point make much sense when you consider that it's not like Rafa had to deal with that pair either (apart from when he played a Djokovic who was clearly out of sorts). It makes as much sense as saying. The top 4 have had it easy because they haven't had to face peak Sampras. It's a futile comparison. Please be rational

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Why do you keep bringing up Murray? Your point would make more sense if you just mentioned Novak. Federer goes thru Murray like a hot knife through butter. Please think about it a bit more. You are then comparing Roger of 2017 to the last 5 years when he has clearly played better tennis this year. This isn't a comparison that makes sense at all. Nor does your point make much sense when you consider that it's not like Rafa had to deal with that pair either (apart from when he played a Djokovic who was clearly out of sorts). It makes as much sense as saying. The top 4 have had it easy because they haven't had to face peak Sampras. It's a futile comparison. Please be rational
Murray matches takes precious hours out of Roger's endurance late in a grand slam 2nd week..Dont be so dismissive but just look at the facts, Murray, Rafa and Novak are not easy matches for anyone who wants to capture a title. Has anyone ever defeated all 3 in route of a title..i think No..ask El Dude..he is the historian

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray matches takes precious hours out of Roger's endurance late in a grand slam 2nd week..Dont be so dismissive but just look at the facts, Murray, Rafa and Novak are not easy matches for anyone who wants to capture a title. Has anyone ever defeated all 3 in route of a title..i think No..ask El Dude..he is the historian

I repeat... have you watched Murray - Federer matches in the last few years? They don't take long at all. They're blow outs. Please make sense. Just because Murray is a top player doesn't mean anything at all. Tennis is about match ups and in recent years it's an awful match up for Murray. You are not looking at the facts, you are asserting an opinion which is not based on evidence, just a conviction that Murray is a strong player.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's not many Rafa supporters who speak of him like some of the Fed fans who make excuses like Roger didn't practice, Roger had a sore back..yadayada..when a Rafa supporters bring up his injuries or anything that they consider something that prevented him from capturing a title..well we KNOW how they are attacked.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's not many Rafa supporters who speak of him like some of the Fed fans who make excuses like Roger didn't practice, Roger had a sore back..yadayada..when a Rafa supporters bring up his injuries or anything that they consider something that prevented him from capturing a title..well we KNOW how they are attacked.

Lol! This is truly the age of Trump. You're now trying to flip injury excuses back on to Federer fans? Puh-leeze. I refer you to the CNN adverts, just because you say it's a banana doesn't stop it from being an apple

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I repeat... have you watched Murray - Federer matches in the last few years? They don't take long at all. They're blow outs. Please make sense. Just because Murray is a top player doesn't mean anything at all. Tennis is about match ups and in recent years it's an awful match up for Murray. You are not looking at the facts, you are asserting an opinion which is not based on evidence, just a conviction that Murray is a strong player.
U are not listening..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
U are not listening..

I am listening just fine. I disagree with you. Utterly. You are not paying attention to what actually happens. I would have more concerns in a draw where Roger has to face someone like Nishikori than Andy Murray. If you're talking about a player that's going to drain Roger. I repeat base your arguments on facts, I don't think that's unreasonable to ask

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! This is truly the age of Trump. You're now trying to flip injury excuses back on to Federer fans? Puh-leeze. I refer you to the CNN adverts, just because you say it's a banana doesn't stop it from being an apple
See this is where I get off this topic.. When you throw in comparisons to Trump to get the likes from whomever.. the conversation is about trying to ridicule a poster or their post.. I dont subscribe to that philosophy

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
See this is where I get off this topic.. When you throw in comparisons to Trump to get the likes from whomever.. the conversation is about trying to ridicule a poster or their post.. I dont subscribe to that philosophy

I'm sorry but that happens when you start spouting untruths about injury excuses. Argue your case if you want, but please don't bring up something that has no basis in fact

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sorry but that happens when you start spouting untruths about injury excuses. Argue your case if you want, but please don't bring up something that has no basis in fact
REREAD the post.. I said some Fed Fans say Roger didnt practice or had back injuries not Roger.. So it is FACT and has Basis..