Rogers Cup 2022, Montreal, Canada - ATP Masters 1000

tented

Administrator
Reactions
0CC9F4DA-3F84-4A12-8B90-FDFECCE412AA.jpeg

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nick has always had a problem with his concentration levels even as a junior, I have watched him since his junior days.In saying that he is proving when he buckles down he has the game to defeat all the top players, he now has a very good chance to win his first Masters 1000 in Montreal
He is a good example of a troubled genius, failed to apply himself for a long time and only came to play when he felt excited against top opponents. though he is probably still 'uncoachable', as he has always been a bit of a wild one, he probably has reached a maturity level........he has improved his patience and mental endurance significantly, which is required to grind out the 'ordinary' matches. This is new territory for him, and I am glad it eventually arrives so he doesn't spend a lifetime wasting his talent. Instead of being the odd one no top player wants to face, he is suddenly almost a contender in big tournaments.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I appreciate your frustration. There have been folks around here that down-grade Nick, but most aren't posting these days. He has a lot of fans around here, I think. I'm one, anyway. His renewed focus and commitment is a pleasure to see. I think you can trace it from winning the AO in doubles, having a GF that travels with him, so he's not so lonely, and making that final at W. Winning breeds winning, and he is on a roll. I think everyone in tennis will be worried, esp. the top guys. Ask Medvedev.
I remember the days when I had to debate with those who trash talked his ability. As if his wins against the Big 3 were somehow lucky, or the big 3 just weren't careful or whatnot. Truth is he was always the special one, since when he was young. Especially if you considered the fact that Nick doesn't listen to advise, and a lot of his techniques were sort of his own (thus look a bit funny, that backhand, even the forehand may be too wristy), he is more than just 'talented' to be able to reach this level, in a sport where there is a 160 million population of participation. Rafa put it well, he mentioned about his talent saying Nick made doing difficult things look easy, which I think is a great explanation. Got so many weirdos in this forum, that almost all the greats of the game have said it one way or another, they argued the opposite based on his 'results'.....laughable really.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick appears to have a problem with his knee, his movement in the 3rd set is compromised sad to say, both 1st and 2nd sets went to t/breakers....Hubi leads 3-0 in the 3rd set
Seeing Nick is already seeded for USO, I feel he needs a break, regarding his knee, and withdraw from Cinncy. Just my thoughts

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ruud taking the 1st set off FAA, 6-1, nothing going right for FAA so far in this match, credit to Casper, lets see if FAA improves in the 2nd set
Ruud leads 4-0 2nd set, I have never seen such a poor performance from FAA especially at his home town, all the stats of the match so far for FAA have been poor, he cannot find the court at times, good defence from Casper

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Casper Rudd to serve for the match 5-2, another great offensive lob from Casper

Ruud d FAA 61 62 great performance from Casper who deserves his place in the s/final

Worst match I have seen from FAA, such a lopsided loss,things can only improve in Cinncy,hopefully.

Casper Ruud will play Hurkacz in the s/final

• Wow
Reactions: TheSicilian

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BCP d Q Jack Draper 76(4) 61, still a good effort from the youngster to make a q/final at Master 1000 level

BCP will play Dan Evans in the other s/final.

Reactions: TheSicilian

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
never thought FAA was going to be much, despite the obvious physical abilities. Champions don't need to always look good, but they carry certain qualities....which I am yet to see from FAA, so many talked him up here before I remember.

Reactions: tented

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Disappointed to see Tommy Paul lose his QF match. I don't dislike Evans, I try to be impartial. However, I just thought this tournament could the one that Tommy Paul makes a name for himself. Tough loss.