Rogers Cup 2022, Montreal, Canada - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW for the first time in a Masters 1000 since IW in 1999, the Top 3 seeds are all defeated in their opening matches

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
LOL! still Rublev has a habit when he gets angry banging himself with a racket,
We have seen it before, I forgotten the older Russian guy who smashed it into his skull and was left blooded. Heck, Serena once had an issue with her calf muscle and bangs it several times trying to stop it from spasms. In the heat of battle, vanity or self preservation takes a backseat for the rewards of victory.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That's two consecutive weeks Big Foe has given 2 winnable matches away. Not to mention that epic collapse he had against Korda earlier on the clay. Like Iga, he needs to start working w/ a traveling shrink.
I NEVER been a big believer of Frances because he is technically flawed player. I have always felt that fundamentals will give you an edge over a player who plays a swashbuckler's brand of tennis. E.g. Roger, Novak and even Rafa extremely semi western grips but is fundamental sound player. When a player is stressed on the court, the fundamental strokes will bail you out IMO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We have seen it before, I forgotten the older Russian guy who smashed it into his skull and was left blooded. Heck, Serena once had an issue with her calf muscle and bangs it several times trying to stop it from spasms. In the heat of battle, vanity or self preservation takes a backseat for the rewards of victory.
The old Russian guy was also nick named the Colonel aka Michail Youzhny who hit his head with his racquet and made it bleed
Though Rublev has a habit now of self inflicting himself in anger when things dont go in his way on court.He lost to Evans in straight sets.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tented

Administrator
Reactions
F0E95838-A3A3-483B-910E-AA4E0E5800AD.jpeg

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Well done to the young Englishman Draper a Qualifer, his first win against a Top 10 player defeats The Young Greek No 3, 75 76(4)
Another Top seed No 3, falls by the wayside in Montreal!

Draper will be top 10 imo. He is a good player but still developing his game. He seems very motivated & hungry for success. He took a set from Djokovic at Wimbledon last year in his 1st slam match, he said after the match he was disappointed he only took 1 set. Most kids would be thrilled with a set against the #1 player in their first slam match but not Draper lol he wanted the win!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios is pretty much rolling De Minaur.

Reactions: Fiero425

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the idiots who have no knowledge of tennis said Nick is overrated talent, should just disappear and be embarrassed. Time and again, the elite players can't compliment his talent enough, and the way Nick can serve and volley a whole set against Medvedev and some against De Minaur who are both nightmares for that style to work.....nobody can do it against Meddy, and Nick just decided to do it, without being known for playing that style or even practice it......thats just incredible talent. Just incredible hands, power, hand-eye coordination and timing. He is bashed for losing to lower ranked players too often, but that's his attitude and focus issue, but when he keeps making it tough for the elites, there is no excuse but absolute evidence of his super talent. Now he seems to focus, he pretty much steam rolls through very good players day in and day out....he would've done this long time ago, had he intended to from young age.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Fritz's luck finally ran out! After get'n down 0-4 in set 3 to Tiafoe & came back, he allowed Evans to sneak back into match today & lost 3rd set 5-7!

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Monfils had to give it up in the 2nd set with some kind of foot injury! I'll be so glad when he retires so we can be done with his act! He actually goes on winning streaks hobbling around! I started thinking it was his MO! "Go away you old, broken down man!" :angry-face: :shushing-face::yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the idiots who have no knowledge of tennis said Nick is overrated talent, should just disappear and be embarrassed. Time and again, the elite players can't compliment his talent enough, and the way Nick can serve and volley a whole set against Medvedev and some against De Minaur who are both nightmares for that style to work.....nobody can do it against Meddy, and Nick just decided to do it, without being known for playing that style or even practice it......thats just incredible talent. Just incredible hands, power, hand-eye coordination and timing. He is bashed for losing to lower ranked players too often, but that's his attitude and focus issue, but when he keeps making it tough for the elites, there is no excuse but absolute evidence of his super talent. Now he seems to focus, he pretty much steam rolls through very good players day in and day out....he would've done this long time ago, had he intended to from young age.
I appreciate your frustration. There have been folks around here that down-grade Nick, but most aren't posting these days. He has a lot of fans around here, I think. I'm one, anyway. His renewed focus and commitment is a pleasure to see. I think you can trace it from winning the AO in doubles, having a GF that travels with him, so he's not so lonely, and making that final at W. Winning breeds winning, and he is on a roll. I think everyone in tennis will be worried, esp. the top guys. Ask Medvedev.

Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I don't think it was ever an issue of talent with Nicky. Most of us saw what he could do early on when he beat Fedal while he was still green. It's usually his head that gets in the way. Some of his on court antics have turned a fair bit away. I for one hope he actually applies himself and keeps it together this time. The Big 3 will depart the sport likely sooner than fans are willing to admit. A resurgent, focused Nicky could make things very interesting for NG and the young guns.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Now there really is only one M1000 winner left in the draw. Hubie is the last man standing. Everyone else lost today (Fritz, Cilic, Norrie)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Why has Jannik Sinner ever done to Spanish players:) goes out meekly to PCB
As I was called into work I will watch the replay.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick has always had a problem with his concentration levels even as a junior, I have watched him since his junior days.In saying that he is proving when he buckles down he has the game to defeat all the top players, he now has a very good chance to win his first Masters 1000 in Montreal

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs in Montreal,

Kyrgios vs Hurkacz
Ruud vs Auger-Aliassime
Carreno Busta vs Draper
Evans vs Paul

Reactions: kskate2