Random Trivia Questions

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If you change the question slightly to who is the highest ranked player (sometime in the player's career) that has never won a title, I believe the answer would be Julian Benneteau. This man was ranked even #25 at one time. He has a very respectable game and has even given extended Fed on couple of occasions. But he has never won a title, not even an ATP 250.

p.s. I don't know for sure that he is the answer to the modified question.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Name an ATP player after whom an asteroid is named

Name a WTA player after whom a flower is named

p.s. Needless to say, this is a "closed Google quiz".

I did scan through the rankings and came up with Alize Cornet. "Cornet" is a flower, right?

Don't know about the first - is there a "Shoemaker-Levy?" A "Halley"? Haha.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
If you change the question slightly to who is the highest ranked player (sometime in the player's career) that has never won a title, I believe the answer would be Julian Benneteau. This man was ranked even #25 at one time. He has a very respectable game and has even given extended Fed on couple of occasions. But he has never won a title, not even an ATP 250.

p.s. I don't know for sure that he is the answer to the modified question.

Yeah, I don't know. It would also be interesting to figure who is the highest ranked player EVER who never won a title.

By the way, Vasek Pospisil hasn't won a title and he was also ranked #25 at one point.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
On a similar note, the dynamic French duo of Richard Gasquet and Gael Monfils must be the players with the highest career ranking, both #7, and no title above an ATP 250. Monfils has five ATP 250s but he's 0-3 in Masters finals and 0-5 in ATP 500s. Gasquet has a whopping thirteen ATP 250s, but is 0-3 in Masters and 0-2 in ATP 500s.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Name an ATP player after whom an asteroid is named

Name a WTA player after whom a flower is named

p.s. Needless to say, this is a "closed Google quiz".

I did scan through the rankings and came up with Alize Cornet. "Cornet" is a flower, right?

Don't know about the first - is there a "Shoemaker-Levy?" A "Halley"? Haha.

It looks like you misunderstood the question. The asteroid and the flower are named after the player and not the other way.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah, then that's well beyond my knowledge. I'd guess they'd have to be pretty well know for an asteroid and flower to be named after them. I seem to vaguely remember something about an asteroid, but can't place it.

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
The asteroid is named after Nadal. The flower I really don't know...I'll go ahead and guess Sharapova.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Garro said:
The asteroid is named after Nadal. The flower I really don't know...I'll go ahead and guess Sharapova.

Yep! In 2008 after his Wimbledon victory over Federer, an asteroid that is located between Mars and Jupiter and that moves at a speed of20 km per second is named after Rafael Nadal by the International Astronomical Union at the request of Spanish Observatory.

But, your other answer is wrong. Only PEDs and may be Candies will be named after Pova.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I finally know the answer to a question. There is a flower named after Azarenka.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
10isfan said:
I finally know the answer to a question. There is a flower named after Azarenka.

Yep, you got it. It is "Va Va Victoria" Rose that is allegedly strong, beautiful and resilient, just like Vika. :)

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
So Garro and 10isfan should both ask trivia questions now.

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Okay here's mine. Which two players have lost the most matches after being ahead by two sets?

Hint: both players are active, or at least have not retired.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Name the Swiss player who won Olympic gold in singles. No googling the answer, please.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Borg lost two times at the FO in his career. Who beat him?

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I know Adriano Panatta beat him, but not sure about the other.

EDIT: I looked up the other and was surprised. I won't give it away and let someone else answer.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
My questions are too easy it seems. I was glad to have stumped El Dude though. I will post something harder. My hubby is still wondering who lost 444 times in singles. He thinks that is such a great question.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Which male player won singles and doubles Olympic gold in the same year? No internet searches, please.