Rafael Nadal has announced his retirement from tennis

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I should revisit that match v. Felix.

Also, I know you meant the 2008 final match v. Roger at RG. That one has always been so one-sided that it seemed impolite ever to mention it, but now that Rafa is retiring, it IS well-worth noting. He was playing clay tennis from another stratosphere in 2008. Folks in general don't seem to mention 2008 as one of Rafa's best years, preferring 2010, but he was playing at a level for a good portion of that year that looked like he'd invented a new game, and failed to tell anyone else the rules.

I'm not sure those would be my 3, if I were picking, but they'll do.
I thought Rafa was playing clay tennis from another stratosphere as early as 2005. 2008 is one of his best years overall. On clay, I have it ranked 3rd, behind 2010 and 2005. The only reason why I don't have 2008 as the top year is because of the Rome loss. Rafa swept the major tournaments on clay in 2005 and 2010.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought Rafa was playing clay tennis from another stratosphere as early as 2005. 2008 is one of his best years overall. On clay, I have it ranked 3rd, behind 2010 and 2005. The only reason why I don't have 2008 as the top year is because of the Rome loss. Rafa swept the major tournaments on clay in 2005 and 2010.
I think your missing the point, with Rafa's clay tennis, regardless of Rafa loss in 2008 in Rome, where he has won 10 titles,,he took his clay tennis to another level, in 2008 overall, the quality was just outstanding, ,I suggest you find a video of the final in 2008, Rafa was 'unplayable" all tournament. I was there to witness it, among many other RG titles he won, including his first title at RG!

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I have no comment on Rafa's highest level of clay tennis and will defer to those who watched him more closely back in the day. But I think what Margaret is getting at is that in 2005 he won almost everything because he was an enormous leap ahead, but in 2008 he showed an even higher level - at least at times. But the results are similar each year in 2005-14 (minus 2009) because even his B game was almost always better than everyone else's A game. I think Margaret is essentially saying that Rafa revealed his clay A game in 2005 which was A+ compared to the rest of the tour, but in 2008 it went to A++. Or something like that.

As far as his best "clay season" goes, I think it is either 2005 or 2010, but so many seasons aren't far behind. I mean, he won RG and two or more clay Masters 9 times; in 7 of those, he also won at least an ATP 250. Anyhow, it is tempting to go with 2010 as it is the only year he won all four clay big titles, plus he went undefeated (26-0). But he played more than twice as many matches in 2005 (50-2) and won 8 clay titles overall. But again, a bunch of other years aren't far behind.

Fun fact: Only three players have gone undefeated on clay in a given year: Rafa in 2006 and 2010, Borg in 1978, and Laver in 1974 - but Laver only played 10 matches at minor tournaments, so it is really just Rafa and Bjorn.

Another fun fact: Guillermo Vilas is the only player to win two clay Grand Slams in a year, in 1977 when the US Open went through its three-year clay era (Orantes and Connors won the other two in 75 and 76). Vilas played 100 matches (!) on clay that year, going 95-5 overall, including 14 clay titles. It is hard to compare it to Rafa's clay era when he played 25-50% as many matches, but certainly it is a top 10 clay season of the Open Era. I think the top 10 clay seasons would all be Rafa seasons, except for two: Vilas in 1977 and Thomas Muster in 1995. Muster won RG, two Masters, and 11 clay titles overall, going 65-3 on clay.

Id' be tempted to sneak a Borg year into the mix, but I think four or five of them are more in the 11-20 range. Nastase in 1973, Connors in 1976, and Kuerten in 2001 would also be in the running for top 20 -- along with the rest of Nadal's RG years.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have no comment on Rafa's highest level of clay tennis and will defer to those who watched him more closely back in the day. But I think what Margaret is getting at is that in 2005 he won almost everything because he was an enormous leap ahead, but in 2008 he showed an even higher level - at least at times. But the results are similar each year in 2005-14 (minus 2009) because even his B game was almost always better than everyone else's A game. I think Margaret is essentially saying that Rafa revealed his clay A game in 2005 which was A+ compared to the rest of the tour, but in 2008 it went to A++. Or something like that.

As far as his best "clay season" goes, I think it is either 2005 or 2010, but so many seasons aren't far behind. I mean, he won RG and two or more clay Masters 9 times; in 7 of those, he also won at least an ATP 250. Anyhow, it is tempting to go with 2010 as it is the only year he won all four clay big titles, plus he went undefeated (26-0). But he played more than twice as many matches in 2005 (50-2) and won 8 clay titles overall. But again, a bunch of other years aren't far behind.

Fun fact: Only three players have gone undefeated on clay in a given year: Rafa in 2006 and 2010, Borg in 1978, and Laver in 1974 - but Laver only played 10 matches at minor tournaments, so it is really just Rafa and Bjorn.

Another fun fact: Guillermo Vilas is the only player to win two clay Grand Slams in a year, in 1977 when the US Open went through its three-year clay era (Orantes and Connors won the other two in 75 and 76). Vilas played 100 matches (!) on clay that year, going 95-5 overall, including 14 clay titles. It is hard to compare it to Rafa's clay era when he played 25-50% as many matches, but certainly it is a top 10 clay season of the Open Era. I think the top 10 clay seasons would all be Rafa seasons, except for two: Vilas in 1977 and Thomas Muster in 1995. Muster won RG, two Masters, and 11 clay titles overall, going 65-3 on clay.

Id' be tempted to sneak a Borg year into the mix, but I think four or five of them are more in the 11-20 range. Nastase in 1973, Connors in 1976, and Kuerten in 2001 would also be in the running for top 20 -- along with the rest of Nadal's RG years.
I was there in 2005, of course it was great tennis from Rafa and also 2010
To me he raised his overall clay tennis in 2008, regardless if if he lost Rome, the final at RG was just Masterclass, sorry to Roger finals, he was just "unplayable" the first RG GS he didnt lose a set. and he played like that all tournament
For me personally I rate 2008 as Rafa's best, followed by 2005 and 2010.I dont look at a players stats if he didnt lose, say a match and goes underfeated, I look at the actual tennis that was played in the whole tournament, thats why Rafa in 2008 on clay upped his level, it was just amazing clay tennis from Rafa
BTW Be my guest you can sneak in Borg if you wish:)

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I should revisit that match v. Felix.

Also, I know you meant the 2008 final match v. Roger at RG. That one has always been so one-sided that it seemed impolite ever to mention it, but now that Rafa is retiring, it IS well-worth noting. He was playing clay tennis from another stratosphere in 2008. Folks in general don't seem to mention 2008 as one of Rafa's best years, preferring 2010, but he was playing at a level for a good portion of that year that looked like he'd invented a new game, and failed to tell anyone else the rules.

I'm not sure those would be my 3, if I were picking, but they'll do.
Nadal’s level at 2008 RG was just “godly.” From the 4th Round all the way to the final, he lost 22 games overall. 12 of those games was in one match (SF against Djokovic). So, if you take out the SF match, he lost 10 games total! That’s basically a breadstick every single set (9 sets total). Crazy to think about

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal’s level at 2008 RG was just “godly.” From the 4th Round all the way to the final, he lost 22 games overall. 12 of those games was in one match (SF against Djokovic). So, if you take out the SF match, he lost 10 games total! That’s basically a breadstick every single set (9 sets total). Crazy to think about
Thanks Rafanoy, Rafa's level was "godly' from the 4th rd, in 2008 and I was just soo lucky to witness it 'live' at RG

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is a great stat, and telling. I do specifically remember that RG, and he was playing outrageously great tennis from the start. @MargaretMcAleer was there live, and saw the same as we did. I appreciate @El Dude saying he'll leave it to us who were watching closely, at the time. Of course, his clay stats are gaudy, with many good years. Even with RG wins in lesser years. I take @PhiEaglesfan712's point that he was already clearly great on clay in 2005, but to just rank years by wins/losses misses the point of the level we could see at the time, and I think many Rafa fans here agree that, for all he has won on clay, and for as consistently great as he was, there was a pinnacle to his clay tennis, and we think it was at RG in 2008. (I actually think you could see it coming before, which is why I rate 2008 so highly.)

2008 was great for Rafa for many reasons, with the Wimbledon, the Olympic Gold, and finally getting to #1. In the emotional ranking, it was huge, even if so many put 2010 higher.

Roger fans have their pinnacle of Roger's tennis...which may be 2004? Not sure what Novak's fans would call his pinnacle?

As to your stat, @rafanoy1992, and El Dude looking for a reason to include Borg in his historic assessment: I could be wrong, but I think Borg still holds the record for winning the French with fewest games lost? With Rafa not far behind in 2008? Have to look that up...unless someone lazier than I finds it first. :)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I hate to undermine Vilas, but 1977 was a weird season! The AO was to be moved to Dec. so there were 2 of them that year; 1st one in Jan. won by Roscoe Tanner over Vilas! Borg owned Vilas at the time so all of his wins were against lower ranked/skilled players as he played the "B circuit" where his top competition was Brian Gottfried wk. in & wk. out! Vilas played & won well over 100 matches, but none meaningful until he defeated Connors at the USO in the final year of the event at Forest Hills! :astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::yawningface::anxious-face-with-sweat:

Last edited: