Rafael Nadal has announced his retirement from tennis

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have said this before but my favorite Rafael Nadal stat ever, in my opinion:

14-0 in Roland Garros finals and not a single one of them went to a 5th set!

7 straight set matches
7 four set matches
Perfectly balance

In fact, since 2017 RG (31 years old), he was 15-1 in set wins and losses in RG Finals. That's actually pretty remarkable to think about

Another amazing RG stat: He won 90.7% of the sets he played at RG! (116 matches total).
Thanks Rafanoy,
Just an Incredible stat for Rafa, and I dont think we will 'ever see' another player with those kind of stats, let alone winning 14 RG finals, well not in my life time :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why should they play the French Open in autumn? It’s summer in Paris when it’s played, better chance of better weather…
Well, technically it's still Spring until mid-June, but, not only is the weather better, there are 4+ more hours of available daylight available in Paris at that time of year, even compared to the end of Sept.

Going back to the point of this thread, and reminded of the 2020 autumn French Open, I wanted to cite that final as another favorite of mine. Not just because he beat Novak, or the bagel he served him, but because of all the seeming obstacles Rafa had to negotiate to win that title: colder, heavier weather, which has never been best for him at RG, and add to the fun, the tournament changed to an even heavier Wilson ball that year. He had barely played any tennis in 6 months, due to the pandemic, and he was 35 years old. Add to that his greatest nemesis, particularly at the French, in the final. AND, on that particular day, they had closed the roof due to rain for the women's doubles final, and decided not to reopen it, despite better weather and forecast. So, with the odds stacked against him, at least to the extent that they could be at Roland Garros, Nadal still won, and in straights. I thought that was a great job of battling a lot of obstacles.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, technically it's still Spring until mid-June, but, not only is the weather better, there are 4+ more hours of available daylight available in Paris at that time of year, even compared to the end of Sept.

Going back to the point of this thread, and reminded of the 2020 autumn French Open, I wanted to cite that final as another favorite of mine. Not just because he beat Novak, or the bagel he served him, but because of all the seeming obstacles Rafa had to negotiate to win that title: colder, heavier weather, which has never been best for him at RG, and add to the fun, the tournament changed to an even heavier Wilson ball that year. He had barely played any tennis in 6 months, due to the pandemic, and he was 35 years old. Add to that his greatest nemesis, particularly at the French, in the final. AND, on that particular day, they had closed the roof due to rain for the women's doubles final, and decided not to reopen it, despite better weather and forecast. So, with the odds stacked against him, at least to the extent that they could be at Roland Garros, Nadal still won, and in straights. I thought that was a great job of battling a lot of obstacles.
Moxie,
I was live at the RG final in 2012 which was the coldest rainy weather I have suffered in the many times I have been at RG, the match between Rafa and Djokovic had to finish on the Monday, due to the rain. It was the most miserable time, expect I loved the final outcome
Pairs is Spring can be a mixture, of sun, wind and rain.I always take my wet weather gear, and heavy jacket just in case, as I have been caught out in the past, also in Rome as well.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie,
I was live at the RG final in 2012 which was the coldest rainy weather I have suffered in the many times I have been at RG, the match between Rafa and Djokovic had to finish on the Monday, due to the rain. It was the most miserable time, expect I loved the final outcome
Pairs is Spring can be a mixture, of sun, wind and rain.I always take my wet weather gear, and heavy jacket just in case, as I have been caught out in the past, also in Rome as well.
Yes, and some years are hot and dry. Or a mixed bag, but I stand by the point that you have 4 hours more daylight in Paris at that time of year, than in the fall. And a better chance of better weather.

Here are average temps for Paris in May/June, vs. Oct., and days of rain. RG is 25 May thru 8 June next year, so take into account June on this chart. Also, a LOT more daylight hours is a significant benefit, IMO.

Screen Shot 2024-10-15 at 7.04.54 PM.png

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have said this before but my favorite Rafael Nadal stat ever, in my opinion:

14-0 in Roland Garros finals and not a single one of them went to a 5th set!

7 straight set matches
7 four set matches
Perfectly balance

In fact, since 2017 RG (31 years old), he was 15-1 in set wins and losses in RG Finals. That's actually pretty remarkable to think about

Another amazing RG stat: He won 90.7% of the sets he played at RG! (116 matches total).
I think it is stunning that he only ever went 5 sets at RG 2 times. Once was v. Isner in 2011, which was first round, and Nadal's confidence was low. Isner only got him to 5 based on serve. (I'm sure Isner is relishing his footnote in history.) The other was v. Novak in 2013, which was an epic SF. That one Nadal should have closed out in 4, too, but credit to Novak for making a barn-burner out of it. However, in finals, and even though Rafa faced Roger and Novak in a total of 7 finals, they never took him to more than 4 sets. And neither one of them ever beat him in a final. Roger, of course, never beat Rafa at Roland Garros.

And this: Nadal is 137–4 in best of five matches on clay (a win percentage of 97.2%). This includes Davis Cup, and MS 1000s, when the finals were played best 3 of 5.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it is stunning that he only ever went 5 sets at RG 2 times. Once was v. Isner in 2011, which was first round, and Nadal's confidence was low. Isner only got him to 5 based on serve. (I'm sure Isner is relishing his footnote in history.) The other was v. Novak in 2013, which was an epic SF. That one Nadal should have closed out in 4, too, but credit to Novak for making a barn-burner out of it. However, in finals, and even though Rafa faced Roger and Novak in a total of 7 finals, they never took him to more than 4 sets. And neither one of them ever beat him in a final. Roger, of course, never beat Rafa at Roland Garros.

And this: Nadal is 137–4 in best of five matches on clay (a win percentage of 97.2%). This includes Davis Cup, and MS 1000s, when the finals were played best 3 of 5.
Moxie, quick correction: Nadal has played three 5-setters at RG, the last one was against FAA in 2022.

In fact, both Federer and Djokovic never had a set point against Nadal in the 4th set in any of those finals.

Puerta was the closest one with three set points on his own serve and Nadal won five straight points to break back and the rest was history!

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie, quick correction: Nadal has played three 5-setters at RG, the last one was against FAA in 2022.

In fact, both Federer and Djokovic never had a set point against Nadal in the 4th set in any of those finals.

Puerta was the closest one with three set points on his own serve and Nadal won five straight points to break back and the rest was history!
Good point! I forgot the FAA one.