Rafael Nadal has announced his retirement from tennis

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I don't know if any of those would make my top list. As to AO 2017 and 2012, yes, he had the advantage in the 5th in each, so each was within his grasp, but he wasn't the better player in either of those matches. Of the two, I'd wish he'd won the 2012 over Novak more. The WTF's barely raise my blood pressure, so hard to care that much.

I will say the 2009 loss at RG to Soderling was so shocking that it felt like someone had died. I know that sounds drastic, but that's how it felt. And, as you know, I've fought with some fans who insisted over the years that it couldn't possibly have had anything to do with his knees, which is blatantly ignoring the obvious. And it's not an excuse, it's merely true. But there was spite and malice in that match, too, which contributed. In the end, it was the first big coming back to Earth for Rafa, in what was an amazing run. Not just on clay. So that was a shock.

I have said before I regret to 2014 AO final, because Rafa hurt his back and couldn't compete.

Rafa himself I think would say the 2007 Wimbledon final. Less so for me.

The 2018 Wimbledon SF which took place over 2 days, and the roof stayed closed.

I don't so much mind when Rafa lost, but when I felt like he couldn't compete at his best.

I guess you'd say that since Nadal never won a YEC! The same went on w/ Novak fans when he didn't have that OGM! Now it's his crowning achievement! Amazing how that works! It's always something w/ Nadal & his fans! "He's hurt, he's had little practice, & his family drama w/ divorce of his parents was on his mind, blah, blah, blah!" I wish all players got so much in the way of consideration! :face-with-tears-of-joy::zippermouthface::yawningface::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To me, the matches against Coria were overrated. The matches against Federer in the French Open semifinal and against Agassi in the Toronto final were more meaningful, as they were the ones that truly announced that Rafa had arrived. The win in the Toronto final shattered the myth that Rafa was just a great clay-courter, even at 19 years old.

Beating Coria is one thing. Beating all-time greats like Federer and Agassi showed that Rafa was for real and built to stay.
With all respect, I think you're considering those matches in retrospect, and not in terms of what they meant at the time. However much Coria seems like a footnote now, he was considered the King of clay from 2003-05. Their Rome final was particularly good, as it went 5 sets, and Nadal won in a TB in the 5th. That brought his ranking to #5, and made him one of the favorites to win the French that year, even though he'd never played it before.

This is why I thought they deserved a place on the list, and I'm guessing that's why @tented included them on his. Also, the Rome final is worth a revisit, in particular, for 2 classic clay courters in a pitched battle.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess you'd say that since Nadal never won a YEC! The same went on w/ Novak fans when he didn't have that OGM! Now it's his crowning achievement! Amazing how that works! It's always something w/ Nadal & his fans! "He's hurt, he's had little practice, & his family drama w/ divorce of his parents was on his mind, blah, blah, blah!" I wish all players got so much in the way of consideration!
No, I honestly meant that those matches didn't break my heart. As I have said over the years, for whatever reason I never watched the YEC or had it on my radar until the Fedal years and these forums. And I am CERTAINLY not one who thinks that Novak finally eking out a gold medal at the Olympics is his "crowning achievement." So take your cranky, crabby, Hatah-arse and move along, if that's all you've got at a moment like this. So much for you as a person who cares about tennis. #OVERYOU :lol3::yawningface::pile-of-poo::smiling-face-with-horns:

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never saw the match. Rafa's first match vs Roger was on the hardcourts at the Miami Open. He defeated Roger 6-3 6-3 when he was 17 and Roger was just becoming Fed. There next match was again in Miami. Rafa was up two sets to love and up a a break in the third. Rafa lost that set in a tbr and ran out of gas the last two sets. Rafa was definitely was on Roger's radar and they later battle at RG. We know what the results were. Its a shame Rafa just was snakebitten at that tournament.
You can find that full match on youtube, or used to be you could. It's not great quality video, but it's interesting listening to the contemporaneous commentary. At one point, one of the commies says, "If you'd just tuned in, you might be hard-pressed to tell which of these players is the #1 in the world."
Journalists have often said when Rafa defeated Roger in Miami when he was 17, that was the beginning of Fedal?
I think this is also a retrospective comment. Obviously, in a sense it was. But my memory of it, at the time, was that rivalry really started to take shape in 2006, when they met again at RG, but this time in the final, and then again in the Wimbledon final a month later. IMO, that's when it really solidified.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ya tugging the wrong thread, brud. Remember, neither of them players you mentioned had a significant amount of injury that decapitated seasons on them, and both of them had many seasons where they woke up and smiled, hey, I’m in this place all alone, with kids and Roddicks and Gonzos and old faded film stars, I’ll just dial in another few majors and try look humble.

Nobody thought Rafa would play beyond his mid-20’s, he had seasons where he fell off the face of the earth to repair, some like 2014, off the top of my head, when he was number one when he fell, and nobody would have thought he’d still be a world number one 3 decades running.

3 consecutive decades is meaningful, the way Pete’s six in a row is meaningful. For Rafa - of all the Big 3 - to achieve it is worth celebrating…
I heard Andy Roddick's people mention that stat, and at least one other source. The stats people like it, and @El Dude being a stats guy, should appreciate that. :D

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I heard Andy Roddick's people mention that stat, and at least one other source. The stats people like it, and @El Dude being a stats guy, should appreciate that. :D
See my explanation to Kieran, who seems incapable (or willing) to grasp the basic logical argument I presented, for why I see it as a meaningless (if a bit fun) statistic. But hey, it is your moment and I don't want to rain on the parade more than I already have.

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
See my explanation to Kieran, who seems incapable (or willing) to grasp the basic logical argument I presented, for why I see it as a meaningless (if a bit fun) statistic. But hey, it is your moment and I don't want to rain on the parade more than I already have.
I saw it...happenstance of timing. "Happenstance of timing" also stuck Rafa in between Roger and Novak, which even you have admitted was probably infelicitous for Nadal. So just give him the one, eh? And you're not raining on the parade...you've been generous and appreciative. Unlike some people I won't mention. @Fiero425 :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reactions: El Dude and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You can find that full match on youtube, or used to be you could. It's not great quality video, but it's interesting listening to the contemporaneous commentary. At one point, one of the commies says, "If you'd just tuned in, you might be hard-pressed to tell which of these players is the #1 in the world."

I think this is also a retrospective comment. Obviously, in a sense it was. But my memory of it, at the time, was that rivalry really started to take shape in 2006, when they met again at RG, but this time in the final, and then again in the Wimbledon final a month later. IMO, that's when it really solidified.
I have to agree with you I also thought their rivalry began around in 2006, if my memory is correct I think journalists at the time, were quite surprised that Rafa defeated Roger in Miami, when he was 17., maybe their comments at the time were a tad 'premature'.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW with the news that Rafa would be playing for Spain at the DC finals in November, the event sold out weeks ago, and now resale prices are soaring, with some tickets reaching up to 34,540 Euros, on platform like Viagogo.With the official allocation sold out, the only option left is the steeply priced resale market

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to agree with you I also thought their rivalry began around in 2006, if my memory is correct I think journalists at the time, were quite surprised that Rafa defeated Roger in Miami, when he was 17., maybe their comments at the time were a tad 'premature'.
I'm just saying...that isn't what they said at the time. They had no way of knowing that. I doubt the phrase was coined before 2007, though you and I agree the rivalry started to solidify in 2006. What they DID say at the time, if you watch the video of that match and listen to the commies, besides what I told AP about not being able to distinguish which of the 2 was the #1...they also mentioned that Carlos Moyà, then just 27 and an active player, was telling "anyone who would listen" that this kid Nadal was going to be #1 someday. Roger also said it after that match. He predicted 3 years, and he was off by 1+ years. The talent was obvious, but you never know how it's going to pan out. In Rafa's case, it did.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BTW with the news that Rafa would be playing for Spain at the DC finals in November, the event sold out weeks ago, and now resale prices are soaring, with some tickets reaching up to 34,540 Euros, on platform like Viagogo.With the official allocation sold out, the only option left is the steeply priced resale market
Lucky the actual fans who got tickets. They'll be in Málaga. I'm predicting a star-studded event. I wonder if Rafa will pay singles, and how much he'll play.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lucky the actual fans who got tickets. They'll be in Málaga. I'm predicting a star-studded event. I wonder if Rafa will pay singles, and how much he'll play.
Latest news I read, David Ferrer got in touch with Rafa, Rafa said I am ready to play, that was before Rafa announced his retirement after the DC finals, no further news regarding if Rafa will play singles or doubles
I have seen him practicing on hard courts via a video, though I presumed that was for the up coming exho event in Saudi Arabia.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's been an honor watching Rafa play. He brought so much excitement to the sport and some of the greatest moments in history. The highest level ever seen in tennis by anyone and anywhere will always be Rafa on clay and at RG. But most importantly, he always behaved like a class act on the court, no cursing or breaking rackets or ridiculous behaviour. A true role model and the ultimate champion.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is an fun fact,
In 25 years of Rafael Nadal x Babolat collab, the French company says he's carried 125 different bags ( always on his right shoulder) never broke 1,250 of his Pure Aero Rafa rackets.Applied over 54k feet of Vs Originals overgrip himself and used 186 miles of RPM Blast Strings.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
No, I honestly meant that those matches didn't break my heart. As I have said over the years, for whatever reason I never watched the YEC or had it on my radar until the Fedal years and these forums. And I am CERTAINLY not one who thinks that Novak finally eking out a gold medal at the Olympics is his "crowning achievement." So take your cranky, crabby, Hatah-arse and move along, if that's all you've got at a moment like this. So much for you as a person who cares about tennis. #OVERYOU :lol3::yawningface::pile-of-poo::smiling-face-with-horns:

I certainly don't think that OGM is a crowning achievement, but in Djokovic's mind it is; esp. coming so late in his career when near retirement! :fearful-face:

• Haha
Reactions: PhiEaglesfan712

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I certainly don't think that OGM is a crowning achievement, but in Djokovic's mind it is; esp. coming so late in his career when near retirement! :fearful-face:
This is a post about Rafa's retirement? what has Novak got to do with it winning a gold medal, you have never liked Rafa. and you have 'belittled Rafa' in your posts?
I second what Moxie said 'take your cranky, crabby hatah arse and move along!

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s a great stat, and since stats themselves need context to prop them up, I provided the irrefutable reason why it’s a great stat, and a perfect one for those of us celebrating the great Rafa Nadal. It’s important to contextualise stats - it helps us understand exactly what’s been achieved. Novak’s shocking whole career slam cheaply gained across only 6 slams since Rafa went lame is not the same as any of the CGS’s we seen before it. Context proves why. This isn’t to denigrate Novaks good fortune, it’s simply to show why naked stats are mute witnesses to historical happenings..

Reactions: tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I guess you'd say that since Nadal never won a YEC! The same went on w/ Novak fans when he didn't have that OGM! Now it's his crowning achievement! Amazing how that works! It's always something w/ Nadal & his fans! "He's hurt, he's had little practice, & his family drama w/ divorce of his parents was on his mind, blah, blah, blah!" I wish all players got so much in the way of consideration! :face-with-tears-of-joy::zippermouthface::yawningface::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Brother, I think the OGM any of them won is a cheap trinket that boosted their ego - and cost them a shot at the USO title. Rafa in 2008, where he had a great chance, and Novak this year. And Carlos this year too..

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Brother, I think the OGM any of them won is a cheap trinket that boosted their ego - and cost them a shot at the USO title. Rafa in 2008, where he had a great chance, and Novak this year. And Carlos this year too..

Tell me about it! I think even his old man tried to talk Djokovic out of going to Japan in 2021! He was going for a CYGS & wouldn't pass up the chance to elevate himself just a touch more over Fedal! It was a wonder he made the USO Final, but I said before the event started, "someone needed to upset Medvedev" & I was right! It wasn't even a contest w/ Nole going down in straight sets! He'll probably keep telling himself it was worth the try! Even coming from Paris, all 3 medalists lost early in NY! That should tell future generations something! I'd just assume tennis was eliminated from the GAMES! :astonished-face::angry-face::yawningface::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: Kieran