Rafael Nadal has announced his retirement from tennis

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard the news this morning on BBC radio. Not unexpected, but still really sad. Have been reading some of the posts, but haven't had time to sit down. So many people have already said it so well. Great to see some of the old-timers back to pay tribute, esp. some of the Fed fans. Theirs was an era-defining rivalry...one of the greatest ever. It was the contrasts in them that made it so compelling, and that the great Roger Federer finally got a proper rival. No disrespect to Novak, but he was never as much of a contrast between either, and he was also late to the party. "Fedal" was the storied rivalry. I even heard Rafa use the term recently, and it was sort of hilarious to hear it come out of his mouth.

I agree with everything everyone has said. And while I don't want it to be his only legacy, or even his greatest one, but his fierce competitiveness, his steely will, is one of the things that we loved most about him. And that he could combine that with a gentlemanliness, as well. I think it was @El Dude said something like he refused to let others beat him. I will mention here, in the great 2008 Wimbledon final, during the last rain delay, (2-2 in the 5th?), Uncle Tony visited Rafa in the locker room, and was concerned about how his nephew might have been feeling, given that the 2007 Wimbledon final loss had been so crushing to Rafa, having been close that year. Tony found Rafa calm, and he told him, "Don't worry, I won't lose. He may beat me, but I won't lose." Meaning he was not going to blow it on his own. He would not buckle. And that was all that was between them, in that match. Something finally had to give, and Rafa was committed that it wouldn't be him. I believe he won it in the gloaming by dint of will.

He also changed tennis. When he came on the scene, his style of tennis seemed a bit "raised by wolves." (That's for you, @tented.) Very "don't try this at home." Now it is a bit more commonplace, if not always as effective. While his monster forehand is the great shot, the lefty backhand, finessed by his dominant, dextrous right hand, IMO, is almost the hardest to replicate.

It was Mark Petchey the BBC was talking to this morning when they announced Rafa's retirement. He said that the clay, because it's so strategic a surface, is generally the great leveler in tennis. Meaning that more have a chance. That's why Petchey thought that Rafa's utter dominance on the surface was unique and amazing. There have been complaints over the years about Nadal's clay-heavy resume, as if that could somehow be a negative. So, there's an argument that clay is hard to dominate on, and there surely will never be anyone to dominate it like Rafa, at least in a few generations, if ever. If you ask me.

¡Vamos, Rafa! :clap::broken-heart:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I feel we have to do the list of his greatest matches. The first few are in order, then the rest were as I thought of them:

1) 2008 Wimbledon final
2) 2022 Australian Open final
3) 2006 Rome final
4) 2009 Australian Open SF & final (in my mind, I think of the final two rounds that year as a heroic couplet)
5) 2013 USO final
6) 2019 USO final
7) 2005 MC & Rome finals against Coria (another couplet)

And …?
I think you nailed most of the best ones, with AP's addition of the Madrid SF in 2009. I think when you say that the 2009 AO SF and F are a "heroic couplet," you have that right, and it's hard to separate them. Given that Rafa had the more grueling SF, by far, and with one fewer days of rest, it was quite the feat to win that final in 5. Likewise beating Coria, then the Man on clay in 2005 in 2 tough finals was a big calling card.

Two lesser ones I like, for the comeback aspect:

Nadal d. Nalbandian, Indian Wells, 2009. Nadal had never beaten Nalbandian in 2 previous meetings. He was down a set and a break, saved 5 MPs across 2 games, finally broke David (for the first time ever?), got it to a TB, then skunked him in the 3rd, 6-0. They played 2 more times and Nalbandian never beat him again.

Nadal d. Medvedev, YEC, 2019. Totally weird match, but Medvedev served for the match at 5-1, up 2 breaks. Medvedev totally blew that first game when he served for it. A little more help from Rafa when he served at 5-3 for the match, and for sure it was a huge collapse, but Rafa didn't give up on that match, basically out of respect, and ended up winning it:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
His most astonishing record is having the most obnoxious fan base of all times... which oddly enough has a small bunch of nice people lurking inside it!
Funny, I thought that was the Federer fan base, given the entitlement, but we see things through our own lens. We do, however agree that a lot of people we like turn up amongst them, so it's a conundrum. ;)

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, on a serious note, it might be interesting to do a list of his most heart-breaking matches. I don't think the 2017 AO would be #1, but certainly in the top 5. I'm guessing most Rafa fans would say the 2012 Australian Open. 2010 or 2013 World Tour Finals is probably up there somewhere
I don't know if any of those would make my top list. As to AO 2017 and 2012, yes, he had the advantage in the 5th in each, so each was within his grasp, but he wasn't the better player in either of those matches. Of the two, I'd wish he'd won the 2012 over Novak more. The WTF's barely raise my blood pressure, so hard to care that much.

I will say the 2009 loss at RG to Soderling was so shocking that it felt like someone had died. I know that sounds drastic, but that's how it felt. And, as you know, I've fought with some fans who insisted over the years that it couldn't possibly have had anything to do with his knees, which is blatantly ignoring the obvious. And it's not an excuse, it's merely true. But there was spite and malice in that match, too, which contributed. In the end, it was the first big coming back to Earth for Rafa, in what was an amazing run. Not just on clay. So that was a shock.

I have said before I regret to 2014 AO final, because Rafa hurt his back and couldn't compete.

Rafa himself I think would say the 2007 Wimbledon final. Less so for me.

The 2018 Wimbledon SF which took place over 2 days, and the roof stayed closed.

I don't so much mind when Rafa lost, but when I felt like he couldn't compete at his best.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, and I'm saying it is a meaningless statistic - not "astonishing." Sort of fun as a quirk, but not as impressive as it sounds.

It is a classic way of framing something to make it sound more impressive than it is - an arbitrary range of time, sort of like saying "I ran for two days straight" if you run from 11:59pm to 12:01am, which is two minutes. Is not running for 10 minutes from 11:45 to 11:55 on one day more "astonishing?"

That said, being #1 over a 13-year span IS pretty astonishing. But Novak and Roger edge out Rafa on this one.
Ya tugging the wrong thread, brud. Remember, neither of them players you mentioned had a significant amount of injury that decapitated seasons on them, and both of them had many seasons where they woke up and smiled, hey, I’m in this place all alone, with kids and Roddicks and Gonzos and old faded film stars, I’ll just dial in another few majors and try look humble.

Nobody thought Rafa would play beyond his mid-20’s, he had seasons where he fell off the face of the earth to repair, some like 2014, off the top of my head, when he was number one when he fell, and nobody would have thought he’d still be a world number one 3 decades running.

3 consecutive decades is meaningful, the way Pete’s six in a row is meaningful. For Rafa - of all the Big 3 - to achieve it is worth celebrating…

Reactions: Moxie and shawnbm

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW it’s an understatement to say you were a “fan” of Rafa, if you were on board every important big match of his was an emotional experience, one lived and died with him.
And wanted to kill too, don’t forget that. I’m sure we could have justified committing murder… :lol6:

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The passing of possibly the greatest era in tennis is almost complete. Nadal made a gigantic contribution, defied his critics many times over and brought a lot of entertainment to the masses featuring in some of the greatest matches ever. The banter on the boards going back many years was fun too. Father Time dialling this one in - I hope he has a nice swansong at the Davis Cup.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The passing of possibly the greatest era in tennis is almost complete. Nadal made a gigantic contribution, defied his critics many times over and brought a lot of entertainment to the masses featuring in some of the greatest matches ever. The banter on the boards going back many years was fun too. Father Time dialling this one in - I hope he has a nice swansong at the Davis Cup.
We had brawls after some matches that lasted a whole season. The players have it easy - the match itself only lasted a few hours… :lulz1:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Interestingly, 2 days ago the great Spanish footballer Andres Iniesta also retired. Two greats of similar low-key qualities, gone in a few days. Something about great Spaniards of that era. Xavi was the same. The ultimate greats, and no fuss, no scandal, no cheating, just incredible levels of commitment, excellence and achievement..

Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Likewise beating Coria, then the Man on clay in 2005 in 2 tough finals was a big calling card.
To me, the matches against Coria were overrated. The matches against Federer in the French Open semifinal and against Agassi in the Toronto final were more meaningful, as they were the ones that truly announced that Rafa had arrived. The win in the Toronto final shattered the myth that Rafa was just a great clay-courter, even at 19 years old.

Beating Coria is one thing. Beating all-time greats like Federer and Agassi showed that Rafa was for real and built to stay.

Reactions: Kieran

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
One of my favorite articles of Nadal was written by Chris Odd on Tennisnow. https://www.tennisnow.com/News/2019/June/Next-Level-Nadal-has-Gone-Beyond-Greatness-in-Pari.aspx

This was at the eve of Nadal's 12th French Open title. But the words ring true even more now. An excerpt:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
It may seem routine to all who saw it coming and who knew better than to expect any other outcome. But when Rafael Nadal stops winning Roland Garros titles one day in the not too distant future we will all look back in awe, the realization that his simple and sublime quest has yielded the greatest achievement of the greatest era of men’s tennis.

Those beads of sweat that colored the fabled clay of Court Philippe Chatrier, they’ll forever be a part of the fabric of Nadal’s magic in Paris. An improbable feat managed with the most humble of origins.

When he’s gone, replaced no doubt by a statue, we’ll know where to find the true essence of Nadal: in the terre battue, trampled beneath the feet of future generations, who will endeavor but never match what he’s accomplished
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

French Open will never be the same without Rafa. Tennis in a way - will never be the same as well. Younger players such as Alcaraz/Sinner would do well to emulate Nadal's humility and demeanor.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I never saw the match. Rafa's first match vs Roger was on the hardcourts at the Miami Open. He defeated Roger 6-3 6-3 when he was 17 and Roger was just becoming Fed. There next match was again in Miami. Rafa was up two sets to love and up a a break in the third. Rafa lost that set in a tbr and ran out of gas the last two sets. Rafa was definitely was on Roger's radar and they later battle at RG. We know what the results were. Its a shame Rafa just was snakebitten at that tournament.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I never saw the match. Rafa's first match vs Roger was on the hardcourts at the Miami Open. He defeated Roger 6-3 6-3 when he was 17 and Roger was just becoming Fed. There next match was again in Miami. Rafa was up two sets to love and up a a break in the third. Rafa lost that set in a tbr and ran out of gas the last two sets. Rafa was definitely was on Roger's radar and they later battle at RG. We know what the results were. Its a shame Rafa just was snakebitten at that tournament.
Journalists have often said when Rafa defeated Roger in Miami when he was 17, that was the beginning of Fedal?

Last edited: