Rafael Nadal has announced his retirement from tennis

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
This shouldn't come as a surprise, as I think most of us knew deep down inside that Rafa was at peace with his career after the Olympics. At least his last official match was against Djokovic, and not to a random player like Lloyd Harris. Also, he will be entering the Tennis HOF with Andy Murray in 2029.

We also don't have to worry about "will he or won't he return" like we did with Sampras and Federer, who each waited a year after their last official match to announce their retirements.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
"I know how you feel, amigo."

1728570098147.png

tented

Administrator
Reactions
It's been a while since you posted here, hope all's well.

Yes, thanks. Just needed some time off. We‘re fortunate to have @kskate2 who has been around the whole time.

Very emotional video from Rafa to announce an end to what has been hell of a career. He looks like he shed a few tears behind the camera.

It’s a strange coincidence that just last night I watched the documentary “Federer: Twelve Final Days” which includes some behind-the-scenes shots of Rafa and Roger crying like children in the locker room after their doubles match at Laver Cup. They clearly like and respect each other tremendously.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, thanks. Just needed some time off. We‘re fortunate to have @kskate2 who has been around the whole time.

It’s a strange coincidence that just last night I watched the documentary “Federer: Twelve Final Days” which includes some behind-the-scenes shots of Rafa and Roger crying like children in the locker room after their doubles match at Laver Cup. They clearly like and respect each other tremendously.
Glad all is well with you. Really two sides of the coin feelings about Rafael retirement. Most definitely would have been great if he gave all his fans a farewell tour but I am happy to see him be able to walk away from the game on his terms. God Bless

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Good reason to come back, brother. Brought me back, too. Hard to quantify a true great. So many flashbacks, memories, even nightmares. Flash-floods of panic, blood pressure exhilaration. That gigantic effort-filled forehand, look how animated Rafa is when he hits it, every smidgen of his body contorted, leaning awkwardly into the shot, his eyes grim and hungry, his muscles giving Federer fans fits. Rafa, one foot in the air, hungry like a butcher’s dog, choking life out of opponents, and their families in the players box.

Rafa was the best, that’ll be known. I know people who can do basic math will beg to differ, they’ll say, em, Novak won, eh, 1…2…3…um…4…eh…what’s after 4?..ah yeah, 5…6…etc.

Sure. Now let’s see him do that with his left hand.

There’s times Rafa’s kept me awake all night, manning the phone, following the scoreboard. I remember enjoying the build up to the Wimbledon final in 2008, that god amongst tennis matches. Soon as it started, I plugged in the hoover, sang loudly and couldn’t watch it. The year before, his Achilles knees fatally wounded him when he was marching toward victory, with Roger screeching so high pitched, the nearby Battersea dogs home reported countless complaints of deafness among its residents.

Who can forget Rafa’s face, at times twisted in comprehension, like Indiana Jones, an embattled sweat stained frown when he faced oblivion so many times and realised things were getting tight, and somehow he found a line, found an extra yard of spin, found a racket-tip passing shot, a gutsy volley, a suicide mission off a weak second serve where Rafa’s heels are dug into the ground, grunting backhands crosscourt, trying to fight his way off the ropes.

There’s never been a player like Rafa. He redefined the sport. Jimmy Connors likes to think he’s cut from the same cloth. Sure he is, but Rafa has the much bigger portion of that cloth. And Rafa never cheats, cusses, breaks a racket, or threatens an opponent. Unless we count his pre-match jumping and racing around the dressing room as a threat, which I suppose it is.

In Yellowstone Kevin Costner gets to say many great lines, and early on he corrects somebody who mentions something else as being “the definition of resistance.” John Dutton demurs: “resistance is the kind of thing that defines itself.”

Rafa is that thing. And he defined himself, and tennis followed. A great hero on the court, a champion with humility, took defeats with grace. Vamos, King! Let’s hope he’s badly missed, causing other great players who follow to try to imitate the way he played, the way he won, the way he left the sport, classy until the end!

:clap:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
This makes me feel kind of sad, both because it means no more Rafa, but also it feels like another major marker n the end of an era, with only Novak left of the great Big Four (I'm including Andy here).

I'm going to miss Rafa tremendously. As a Federer fan, I always dreaded seeing another match-up looming on the draw horizon, but I've always liked his persona and greatly admired him as a player. What I'll remember most--aside from his scorching forehands and improbable cross-court two-handers and getting to literally everything--is his unequalled spirit. Rafa is the greatest competitor that I've ever seen, of any sport. His fierce determination to never give in and to hold the line and not let his opponent win is unsurpassed.

For me, Rafa and Roger will always be yin and yang - different enough that you can't really line them up perfectly, and what one lacked, the other had. Any edge one had over the other could be matched by some other aspect of greatness. They were two complete great wholes that made an even greater whole.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This makes me feel kind of sad, both because it means no more Rafa, but also it feels like another major marker n the end of an era, with only Novak left of the great Big Four (I'm including Andy here).

I'm going to miss Rafa tremendously. As a Federer fan, I always dreaded seeing another match-up looming on the draw horizon, but I've always liked his persona and greatly admired him as a player. What I'll remember most--aside from his scorching forehands and improbable cross-court two-handers and getting to literally everything--is his unequalled spirit. Rafa is the greatest competitor that I've ever seen, of any sport. His fierce determination to never give in and to hold the line and not let his opponent win is unsurpassed.

For me, Rafa and Roger will always be yin and yang - different enough that you can't really line them up perfectly, and what one lacked, the other had. Any edge one had over the other could be matched by some other aspect of greatness. They were two complete great wholes that made an even greater whole.
That’s true, brother. Great contrasts really makes for hectic afternoons watching the tennis. Borg-Mac, or Connors, Sampras-Agassi, we even see it in early form with Alcaraz-Sinner. There’s always a steady one, always a one that takes great risks. Pete was both of them, in their rivalry, he was steady while expertly playing high risk tennis.

Rafa-Roger was the high point of any tennis rivalry, because although they played fewer times than either of them played Novak, they had the added intoxication of giving us the great hunger of Rafa, versus the imperious levels of Roger, the changing of the guard, all the generational angle that brought the best out of them both..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Even though I knew in my heart Rafa would call it a day this year, it still makes me sad
There will Never Be Another Rafa Nadal and I am soo lucky to have witness him live in his back yard Roland Garros many times over the years
Thank you Rafa!

Also great to see Kieran and Trent post, Hi guys hope you are doing well and dont be strangers I have missed you!

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s true, brother. Great contrasts really makes for hectic afternoons watching the tennis. Borg-Mac, or Connors, Sampras-Agassi, we even see it in early form with Alcaraz-Sinner. There’s always a steady one, always a one that takes great risks. Pete was both of them, in their rivalry, he was steady while expertly playing high risk tennis.

Rafa-Roger was the high point of any tennis rivalry, because although they played fewer times than either of them played Novak, they had the added intoxication of giving us the great hunger of Rafa, versus the imperious levels of Roger, the changing of the guard, all the generational angle that brought the best out of them both..

Yeah, a narrative that comes to mind is that Roger was the culmination of 30+ years of Open Era tennis: who finally gave us a sense of what a "perfect" tennis player would look like. His four-year 2004-07 showed a level of dominance previously not seen, at least for so long and during the Open Era (Laver in the late 60s was similarly dominant on the pro tour, but it was such a different era).

But then a young boy from the fishing boats of Mallorca showed up and became the Perfect One's kryptonite. The 2008 Wimbledon final was perhaps the greatest single "changing of the guard" moment in tennis history. The boy became a man, and dethroned the king. Roger would rise again and stick around for years to come, but his singular reign was over - and the king looked more like an arch-duke, relegated to 2nd or 3rd best for the rest of his career, for the most part.

But then there's Novak, who almost seems like the product of some kind of Serbian dark magic. For several years he was a lap behind Fedal; at the beginning of 2011, at age 23, it seemed he was what he was: a greatish player, but not in the same class. But then he began to claim the tour as his own, and from that point on--with the exceptions of a couple surges by Rafa and Roger--he was the player to beat for the next dozen years.

Don't get me wrong, I am in awe of Novak. But he just doesn't have the kind of glamour of Roger and Rafa, even if he is ultimately deemed the overall greater (and greatest) player. There is a kind of purity and almost untainted quality to Fedal, but Novak carries the hint of some kind of fell magic.

To put that another way, Roger was the Great King who showed us a new era, a Golden Age; Rafa was the boy-that-became-king and equalled Roger, if in different ways. Novak was the outsider warrior who formed a pact with dark sorceries to vanquish them both (though is finding now that even his wizardry cannot maintain itself forever!).

(And to be clear, I'm not saying that I think that Novak is literally the result of some sort of Balkan sorcery, just speaking more of the vibe - the mythic qualities)

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Started watching Rafa in 2004, just when I was in college. So many things have changed in the 2 decades since: Education, jobs, relationships (created and broken) and life (with its challenges) in 4 countries and 3 continents. With all these ups and dows, the only constant has been Nadal. No matter what happened, there was alwas Nadal playing his heart out and (often) winning.

So, I just can't believe that it it is all ending and that we won't see him any more. I was sad when Pete Sampras retired and this one seems even worse.

Anyway, in all my years of watching Tennis, the most inspirational player. The Greatest warrior to ever grace a tennis court.
Nadal made you believe that anything was possible. His dedication, his work ethic - coupled together with his intense ferociousness - contrasted sharply with his humility and gentle demeanor. He is truly a role model, not only as an athlete, but also as a person.

Nadal has produced countless iconic moments that will never be surpassed, not least his achievements on the clay in Paris. Players will try, but IMO they will fail to come close to Nadal's achievements. It's impossible to overstate Nadal's impact to Tennis and the enduring legacy of his rivalries. To me it seems that almost every epic match of the past twenty years involved Nadal.

It feels bittersweet and the end of an era. Tennis will never be the same without him.
Thank you for everything Rafa! It's been a privilege to be a fan.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Started watching Rafa in 2004, just when I was in college. So many things have changed in the 2 decades since: Education, jobs, relationships (created and broken) and life (with its challenges) in 4 countries and 3 continents. With all these ups and dows, the only constant has been Nadal. No matter what happened, there was alwas Nadal playing his heart out and (often) winning.

So, I just can't believe that it it is all ending and that we won't see him any more. I was sad when Pete Sampras retired and this one seems even worse.

Anyway, in all my years of watching Tennis, the most inspirational player. The Greatest warrior to ever grace a tennis court.
Nadal made you believe that anything was possible. His dedication, his work ethic - coupled together with his intense ferociousness - contrasted sharply with his humility and gentle demeanor. He is truly a role model, not only as an athlete, but also as a person.

Nadal has produced countless iconic moments that will never be surpassed, not least his achievements on the clay in Paris. Players will try, but IMO they will fail to come close to Nadal's achievements. It's impossible to overstate Nadal's impact to Tennis and the enduring legacy of his rivalries. To me it seems that almost every epic match of the past twenty years involved Nadal.

It feels bittersweet and the end of an era. Tennis will never be the same without him.
Thank you for everything Rafa! It's been a privilege to be a fan.
Great to see you posting Imjimmy and just a wonderful post regarding Rafa!

Reactions: imjimmy

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran and the Sicilian , I spoke with our ole good friend Sandy today, a very passionate Rafa fan who really didnt post on these boards but lived vicariously through Us (especially me, Man did she beat me up and I had to shoulder all the blame when Rafa lost, jajaja). Look at the relationship that has been forged on this board and probably outside of these forums because of Rafa. I have had more battles on this board than with my wife, parents, siblings, friends and my crimies on the tennis courts combined . Whenever Rafa wins, crickets is the sound but whenever he loses, I almost have to go into WiPro (witness protection) just to escape the phone calls and texts messages. Rafa has been the ultimate competitor, the Ultimate warrior and as Kieran said the ultimate professional for not only tennis but any sporting venue. I think Johnny Mac once said that Rafa plays the game like someone is trying to steal food from the family dining table. If you had to pick one athlete to play one event with your family well being at state, for me it was always Nadal. Thart's the Ultimate compliment in my opinion. There's has been so many great matches by Rafa and to pick one is like picking the favorite of your own children. I have met a few professional athletes in person but Never Rafa. If I did, I think I would give the guy a hug and let him know from the heart, he brought me more joy as a competitor than anyone else. Job Well Done. Bravo and Vamos Rafa Nadal.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran and the Sicilian , I spoke with our ole good friend Sandy today, a very passionate Rafa fan who really didnt post on these boards but lived vicariously through Us (especially me, Man did she beat me up and I had to shoulder all the blame when Rafa lost, jajaja). Look at the relationship that has been forged on this board and probably outside of these forums because of Rafa. I have had more battles on this board than with my wife, parents, siblings, friends and my crimies on the tennis courts combined . Whenever Rafa wins, crickets is the sound but whenever he loses, I almost have to go into WiPro (witness protection) just to escape the phone calls and texts messages. Rafa has been the ultimate competitor, the Ultimate warrior and as Kieran said the ultimate professional for not only tennis but any sporting venue. I think Johnny Mac once said that Rafa plays the game like someone is trying to steal food from the family dining table. If you had to pick one athlete to play one event with your family well being at state, for me it was always Nadal. Thart's the Ultimate compliment in my opinion. There's has been so many great matches by Rafa and to pick one is like picking the favorite of your own children. I have met a few professional athletes in person but Never Rafa. If I did, I think I would give the guy a hug and let him know from the heart, he brought me more joy as a competitor than anyone else. Job Well Done. Bravo and Vamos Rafa Nadal.
So Sandy is to blame for your outbursts at times LOL!
Even when I read the news earlier on Twitter regarding Rafa, I am still in my heart coming to terms that he will be hanging up his racket after DC, though how fitting for Rafa, to go out, he loved DC and loved representing Spain.

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, a narrative that comes to mind is that Roger was the culmination of 30+ years of Open Era tennis: who finally gave us a sense of what a "perfect" tennis player would look like. His four-year 2004-07 showed a level of dominance previously not seen, at least for so long and during the Open Era (Laver in the late 60s was similarly dominant on the pro tour, but it was such a different era).

But then a young boy from the fishing boats of Mallorca showed up and became the Perfect One's kryptonite. The 2008 Wimbledon final was perhaps the greatest single "changing of the guard" moment in tennis history. The boy became a man, and dethroned the king. Roger would rise again and stick around for years to come, but his singular reign was over - and the king looked more like an arch-duke, relegated to 2nd or 3rd best for the rest of his career, for the most part.

But then there's Novak, who almost seems like the product of some kind of Serbian dark magic. For several years he was a lap behind Fedal; at the beginning of 2011, at age 23, it seemed he was what he was: a greatish player, but not in the same class. But then he began to claim the tour as his own, and from that point on--with the exceptions of a couple surges by Rafa and Roger--he was the player to beat for the next dozen years.

Don't get me wrong, I am in awe of Novak. But he just doesn't have the kind of glamour of Roger and Rafa, even if he is ultimately deemed the overall greater (and greatest) player. There is a kind of purity and almost untainted quality to Fedal, but Novak carries the hint of some kind of fell magic.

To put that another way, Roger was the Great King who showed us a new era, a Golden Age; Rafa was the boy-that-became-king and equalled Roger, if in different ways. Novak was the outsider warrior who formed a pact with dark sorceries to vanquish them both (though is finding now that even his wizardry cannot maintain itself forever!).

(And to be clear, I'm not saying that I think that Novak is literally the result of some sort of Balkan sorcery, just speaking more of the vibe - the mythic qualities)
Novak kind of came along when The 2 had spent 6 years in murderous dogfights. He benefited. And he was good enough to take advantage. It’s still hard to swallow that he got a whole career slam after Rafa was fatally wounded at Wimbledon, in 2022. Imagine that. A career slam, cheaply plundered. He’s definitely a great player, a fool would say otherwise, and he created his own myth in an era saturated by them, the opportunist supreme.

What I find really touching is the way Fedal respect each other. They never cheated, pulled shady moves, caused scandal. They followed in the footsteps of Bjorn and Pete, in that respect..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
So Sandy is to blame for your outbursts at times LOL!
Even when I read the news earlier on Twitter regarding Rafa, I am still in my heart coming to terms that he will be hanging up his racket after DC, though how fitting for Rafa, to go out, he loved DC and loved representing Spain.
Hi @MargaretMcAleer trust me MM, Sandy is ten times a lethal as you are opinionated but combined with the cunning of Moxie and Keli.. Sandy likes Rafa and Serena but respected Roger.. that's It. . Once I really like Novak's game but Sandy quickly made me take a longer look at his character which she was correct.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hi @MargaretMcAleer trust me MM, Sandy is ten times a lethal as you are opinionated but combined with the cunning of Moxie and Keli.. Sandy likes Rafa and Serena but respected Roger.. that's It. . Once I really like Novak's game but Sandy quickly made me take a longer look at his character which she was correct.
I feel Sandy and I could become best friends and beat you up when needed :)

• Love
Reactions: the AntiPusher