Qatar Exxon Mobil Open - Doha - ATP 250

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Whatever happened with Becker, then? On Tennis Channel, during the match, Gimelstob said that Becker was tweeting about the match. He was speculating that Becker wasn't finished coaching him, and that things hadn't really ended happily, for Boris.

In Serbian media, they are under impression Becker would like to be Nole's coach again. I think he follows Nole's matches as a friend/fan. That's all I've read.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In Serbian media, they are under impression Becker would like to be Nole's coach again. I think he follows Nole's matches as a friend/fan. That's all I've read.
But why did he dump Becker? Too many cooks, and now he's got the Spanish guru, as you call him?

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
But why did he dump Becker? Too many cooks, and now he's got the Spanish guru, as you call him?
We'll never know. My guess is that Boris was too pushy at a time when Nole was feeling low. And maybe Boris was outspoken once too often, he's not exactly a sensitive soul. I have been surprised the relationship lasted as long as it did, they are so different. I trust Nole's intelligence, he will surround himself with good people

Reactions: Denis

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole's resurgence... congrats to him he played well even if I love Murray, I like Nole too !!! great for Billie !!!

Reactions: Billie

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
A few days before the split was announced Becker was in a German TV show and sounded like he wanted to continue and then one day later there was a rumour in a newspaper that he got an offer from Novak which he finally didn't take. So it seems both were somewhat interested in continuing the relationship on their terms but that they ultimately couldn't agree on a common ground to renew the contract on.

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A few days before the split was announced Becker was in a German TV show and sounded like he wanted to continue and then one day later there was a rumour in a newspaper that he got an offer from Novak which he finally didn't take. So it seems both were somewhat interested in continuing the relationship on their terms but that they ultimately couldn't agree on a common ground to renew the contract on.

Interesting. I always had the impression Becker was struggling for cash... so maybe we'll see them back together at some point if it's just about contracts.

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Interesting. I always had the impression Becker was struggling for cash... so maybe we'll see them back together at some point if it's just about contracts.
After they split Becker was quick to publicly state that Novak's recent subpar results were due to him not working hard enough after the French Open anymore and Novak during the fall often said, that results aren't his focus right now but getting to enjoy tennis again.

So I think it's likely that Becker wanted to continue under the premise that Novak makes winning tennis matches his priority again but Novak didn't want to commit to that when they discussed continuing their relationship which ultimately lead to the split.

If Boris doesn't end up coaching someone else in the mean time (he said he could imagine coaching another male or female player who aims for majors and No. 1) I could actually see them getting back together if Novak gets the feeling he's back in a state of mind where Becker can really help him.

Reactions: britbox

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

I think he had enough of Becker's stories after French open when he realised he made the history himself. He said in several interviews that he doesn't want to hear and answer about tennis history and you know how much Becker likes to talk about it.

There are no too many cooks any more, Vajda is the coach, Vemic will travel with Nole sometimes instead of Vajda and I don't know what is the role of the "guru" if he has any at all.