Qatar Exxon Mobil Open - Doha - ATP 250

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Happy New Year @Denis -ovich ! Long time no see.

Speaking about the final, I read there are two schools of thought on it. First ones say Murray is only pushing the ball around and No1e will destroy him. The other ones say Murray is hitting the ball much harder than No1e, so he will win. What do you thing about it? @Mary others?.

Reactions: Denis

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Speaking about the final, I read there are two schools of thought on it. First ones say Murray is only pushing the ball around and No1e will destroy him. The other ones say Murray is hitting the ball much harder than No1e, so he will win. What do you thing about it? @Mary others?.

I loathe Murray and haven't watched him this week but I would say he is the harder hitter but less accurate. The wind will be a factor, it was grim there yesterday. I am impressed with Nole's attitude this week, has handled tough conditions well. But he is I would say about 15% below his best and 15% better than in Autumn. His 1st serve is improved, his second not there yet, net play better, forehand better. Moving well too. Murray is already moaning about being everyone's target. Funny I never heard anyone moan about being no 1 before!

Reactions: Mastoor

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I'll be holding out some hope for that. And Verdasco has been looking good this week. But there's really no telling when he's going to find his best game.
We're you able to see it? He played so well then crumbled in the tie break and totally lost concentration in the third.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This has a really tight match written all over it.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good match so far.

Doha is an interesting tournament. Only a 250 event, yet they always manage to get 2 of the big 4 to the event. Must be quite some starting money involved for Murray and Djokovic.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes! The break. 5-3.

Murray 40 - 15 up, yet Djokovic takes the break on his first break point of the match. Murray went a bit AWOL.

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
And Nole breaks at 5/3!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
First set to Djokovic. Apparently, in all 19 times Novak took the first set against Andy, he won the match. Murray's level dropped a bit at the end of the first, Novak played better.

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
And takes set at 6/3 on first break point. Even Frew Mac. who is no Nole fan has to admit he is . playing well.

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
First set to Djokovic. Apparently, in all 19 times Novak took the first set against Andy, he won the match. Murray's level dropped a bit at the end of the first, Novak played better.
You type faster than me!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Also: important to break the Murray winning streak too. Novak looks good so far.

Reactions: Mary

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Hardly dare say it but Nole is making Murray look silly right now! Hope he can keep it up

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hardly dare say it but Nole is making Murray look silly right now! Hope he can keep it up

I agree Novak looks better, but I find the match quite tight to be honest. There have only been two breakpoints I think. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Mary

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Very tight, glad Nole held that serve. The game I liked was Nole serving to level at 2/2. Murray looked lost. But this set is close.
I agree Novak looks better, but I find the match quite tight to be honest. There have only been two breakpoints I think. Fingers crossed.

Nole breaks again. ES just shown his service%, higher than its been for months.

Reactions: Denis

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray breaks, taking advantage of some passivity of Djokovic. Tense stuff!

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Murray breaks, taking advantage of some passivity of Djokovic. Tense stuff!

Ouch! Two breaks & Murray takes the second. Too tense to watch, have to hit the brandy I think. But whatever the result Nole is playing so much better, Murray will have to fight hard to keep no 1 all year.

Last edited:

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ouch! Two breaks & Murray takes the second. Too tense to watch, have to hit the brandy I think. But whatever the result Nole is playing so much better, Murray will have to fight hard to keep no 1 all year.

Hehe good idea. Novak takes the break and will have the opportunity to finish it off now. This is turning out to be a pretty important match I'd say. Don't think Novak is going to get the No 1 spot back anytime soon though. Novak won almost everything in the first half year, too much points to defend.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Great win by Novak. First steps to restore order in the kingdom.