New York Open: The Intrigue of Korda vs Tiafoe and Harrison vs Young

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

By Scoop Malinowski

The New York Open could not have scheduled a more dynamically interesting opening night card double bill which will feature Sebastian Korda vs Frances Tiafoe and Ryan Harrison vs Donald Young tonight.

For a tennis enthusiast these are two fascinating clashes. Tiafoe is or was one of the leaders of the American #NEXTGEN brigade but in the last six months his poor results have diminished expectations. After showing such bright promise earlier in 2017 with heroic losing efforts versus Federer, Del Potro and Isner, Tiafoe has failed to get over the hurdle and is suffering bad losses to the likes of Matt Ebden.

Now to add to Tiafoe’s pressures, he has to face a new American teenager, three years younger than himself – Sebi Korda who has earned a wildcard into his first ATP event as a reward for winning the Australian Open junior boys title three weeks ago.

One year ago, Korda and Tiafoe both played the Sarasota Open Challenger in April. Korda received a wildcard, as he lives literally just a short walking distance from the venue of the event at El Conquistador in Bradenton, FL. Korda played the first round night match against Blaz Rola and though he put up an impressive effort, the then 16 year old was outgunned and beaten in straight sets by the former top 100 player.

Tiafoe ended up winning the Sarasota Open, defeating Tennys Sandgren in the final in two very impressive sets by Tiafoe.

But a lot can change in a matter of ten months in tennis. Now Tiafoe must deal with the pressure of subduing an explosive, confident teenager who certainly has the capability of causing an upset tonight at Nassau Coliseum. Korda has all the weapons, the movement, the serve, and the confidence of winning big matches. He also has his father, Petr Korda, the former ATP world no. 2, in his corner. Petr Korda has a genius tennis mind and it’s not a stretch to wonder if he will be able to figure out the winning formula for his son to knock off Tiafoe, who has only won one match this year against Stefan Kozlov in Dallas.

Ryan Harrison vs Donald Young is also an intriguing clash. Both are young Americans from different generations, Young is 28 and ranked 65, Harrison is 25 and ranked 44. Young of course, like any player with pride, abhors losing to a younger compatriot. The two have had several thrilling clashes, including last year in the Memphis Open semifinal, won of course by Harrison 64 64. They also played against each other last year in the French Open doubles final, again that match was won by Harrison and Michael Venus over Young and Santiago Gonzalez.

Harrison leads the overall head to head 5-2, since their first match in 2010 at Winnetka Challenger won by Young 63 62.

Adding to the intrigue is Harrison’s coach Michael Russell, also played six ATP matches vs Young and won five of them (not including six other Challenger and qualifying matches which were split at 3-3).

So tonight will be a terrific night of tennis at the inaugural opening night of the New York Open ATP tennis event at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, NY and both matches will be televised by Tennis Channel.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

I'm sure Young would go back. He's not going to give up and retire. This is definitely a crucial stage in Young's career. We'll see how he responds. Once a player falls to the 70s and 80s, he's out of main draws and has to play qualies and Challengers. If Young doesn't get on a roll right now, he's going to drop to that ranking danger zone. Young did drop down to 190 in 2012 but has been locked into the top 100 since then.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Visually, the New York Open looks perfect. It has a special look with the original color combo of black and gray. The draw is excellent, tonight's doubleheader is just about a dream night of tennis, with two desperate, striving young Americans as the main event and two veterans in a rematch of last year's semi. To be honest, I would rather watch these two matches than Federer schooling another patsy first round. The NY Open has two tremendous matches tonight but it's difficult to convey that to most sports fans.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Nice routine win by Karlovic as usual, beating Donaldson. Want an Alexandra Stevenson update? She's 37 now and ranked 787 in the world. Has played one ITF event this year so far, in England, won one match, lost the second.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Harrison vs Young beef. Looked like Young yelled a come on when he got that break point, which he failed on. Then soon after Harrison yelled a come on and then another. And won that game. Looked like that was the only evident incident that could have triggered the angry words to each other. Harrison has DY's number, it's close but Harrison finds a way to get it done. Very similar to their SF match last year in Memphis which was equally tense. DY is not fan of any of the younger Americans. I never see him practicing with any, ever.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Petr Korda may be the best coach in the world. He took a doubles scrub and turned him into an ATP and Davis Cup legend - Radek Stepanek. Korda knows the game inside out, was just a win or two away from being world no. 1 in 98. Interviewed Petr Korda many times and he's as smart as anyone in the game. The fact he has his 17 yr old kid playing top 100 ATP tennis in his first ATP match is phenomenal.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Duke, the Harry DY grudge goes back before the FO Dubs final. I senses it in the Memphis SF last year. DY gets extra intense vs younger Americans. I noticed that when DY beat Kozlov in Newport two years ago and again in IW last year. And of course, Harrison will not tolerate any bulljive. Bottom line is DY is not a friend or fan of any younger Americans. I can't recall ever seeing DY train with another American at any ATP event I saw.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Duke, I like Bemelmans and he resurrected his career from the graveyard but he's going down fast to the meastro. Under an hour fast :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Very impressed by Korda again. He looked incredible in the Aus Open final, easy power, good movement, volleys, serve, poise. Johan Kriek said he sees Korda as a top ten player. He was unbelievable in the first set then just could not sustain that impossible level. To put this match in context, Pete Sampras lost his first ATP match in Philly in two tough sets to veteran Sammy Giammalva (read about that match in Facing Sampras), so it's no shame to lose this one. There will be many many more ATP matches for Korda, like in the hundreds.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

For saying a come on? If Young said "that's what all white people do" after Harrison yelled come on that is not offensive at all. If this is true this is absolutely zero nothing compared to Muhammad Ali calling Joe Fraizer a gorilla or Charles Barkley saying "I hate white people" on national TV. Hewitt did nothing or said nothing racial, he felt the black linesperson was calling fake footfaults on him to try to help Blake win the match. Hewitt was defending himself against perceived cheating against him. What Hewitt said was not racially offensive, it was self defense against perceived cheating. And nobody can prove the black linesperson was not cheating Hewitt to help Blake.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

No way you can say with any certainty that's what Harrison was yelling. No way bro! It looked like Harrison was saying "This is a set I regret losing, I should play better from now onward."

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

The linespeople hear a player say a curse word and they run over and tell the chair umpire who then issues the warning or penalty. I saw a lineswoman do that to Daniel Evans in Miami last year playing Escobedo and Evans got a point penalty on a key point in third set and freaked out. Obviously the umpire heard nothing and the match went on. Young could be Tawana Brawleying this up into a fake news racial incident. Just like Duke lacrosse also. There is clearly an agenda to replace whites in all white nations and this nonsense is just a symptom of the agenda. The agenda is to turn all non whites against whites and eventually genocide the white race. The extremists like George Soros want this and have made statement about replacing whites but of course the media hides it. It's a shame this is happening but it will eventually explode. It's no coindence that all the white nations in Europe are being forced to take in millions of third worlders.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Son of a Biscuit is definitely a whiner at times and it's clear he has a grudge with Harrison based on who knows what, I sensed it during their Memphis match last year. Harrison is very smart and he's not racist so he would never say something very stupid. He can spout off and swear and yell, even Federer has done that many times. I hope the media does not try to demonize Harrison here, what he said was harmless.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Harrison is a great guy, and a fair and cool person. Interviewed him several times, he's a level headed, very intelligent young man off the court and a ferocious competitor on court. Never saw him do anything dumb but he can vent his frustrations and anger which is normal and healthy. He's just a little better player than Young and Young can't accept that. The head to head record, the rankings comparison and the French Open doubles final prove Harry is the superior player. Young has to swallow it and shut up.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Son of a Biscuit is definitely a whiner at times and it's clear he has a grudge with Harrison based on who knows what, I sensed it during their Memphis match last year. Harrison is very smart and he's not racist so he would never say something very stupid. He can spout off and swear and yell, even Federer has done that many times. I hope the media does not try to demonize Harrison here, what he said was harmless.
well he said something that is borderline racist to Serena and went on to praise pova when she was caught doping that she didnt do it on purpose..he comes off as an entitled pos and ignorant...I am not surprised because he is from Louisiana..

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Young got those WCs because the USTA wanted him to become an elite ATP player and gave him shortcuts to the top that he did not take full advantage of. SOmeone figured it out, he made like six figures on just the WCs alone. Guys like Kozlov and Paul and Opelka barely got any WCs compared to DY. Which reveals a lot.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Johnson dropped in the rankings last year and this year he's falling even more. I know for a fact Johnson trained like a beast in the offseason before 2017 and it did not pay off, he dropped. A player loses confidence from that. Johnson was moving so well early last year. Strange how he has had poor results. Maybe the loss of his dad is still affecting him.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

No way Fed will fail to secure NO. 1 in Roggerdam.