Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here is Rafa’s paradox; he has stated he needs match play. So when is too much too much? He’s won the French underplaying (2020) and won overplaying ( take your pick of a dozen years)

In hindsight Rafa says the extra time off in 2020 from tournament play backfired, it actually resulted in more foot issues in 2021 and his body reacted badly to the lack of conditioning. So Rafa needs the rhythm of enough tournament play. Contrary to what many think the clay court season is no longer a slamdunk for him, ( he’s only won 2 clay Masters in a season twice in the last 8 years) but it does set him up for the French which HAS been a slamdunk for him.

This year seems different, he’s never started the year with 3 HC tourney wins so match wise after IW, it’s not like he’s going to need a lot of tournament play to get going.

I don’t expect him to skip Barcelona, it’s practically his home tourney ( the main stadium is named for him for Goodness sake) but I do think MC is the key, if he does well and wins Monte Carlo the pressure is slightly off . Then I think he may finally chuck Madrid. But I dunno, I get the feeling the Spanish Federation puts a lot of pressure on him. They don’t care about him winning, they just want an appearance.
That's why I pointed out that if he can somehow wins MC and/or Barcelona, then he probably can ease up on playing "hard' in Rome.

As for Madrid, I am just hoping he actually says no to the tournament, but he is too nice or respectful to deny their request.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's why I pointed out that if he can somehow wins MC and/or Barcelona, then he probably can ease up on playing "hard' in Rome.

As for Madrid, I am just hoping he actually says no to the tournament, but he is too nice or respectful to deny their request.
While I hate to suggest this because it fits his game and the surface of the French Open more closely, if
Rafa does play Madrid and does well, then the Italian Open could be skipped.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another great stat for Rafa Nadal,
Rafa has now won 11 finals in a row and a record breaking 30th title without dropping a set.
Nadal previously held the record of 29 titles with Connors.Lendl is third on the list with 28 titles under his name.
Nadal's biggest rivals,Federer and Djokovic, are considerably behind with 22 and 19 titles respectively without dropping a set.It is unlikey that either player will surpass Nadal,the 21-time Major champion in this regard,given Federer is very close to retiring,while Djokovic has a sizeable gap to cover.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I hate to suggest this because it fits his game and the surface of the French Open more closely, if
Rafa does play Madrid and does well, then the Italian Open could be skipped.
He likes to play in Rome way more than in Madrid, not even those bumpy lines are going to stop him.
He is in great form right now. I could see him winning 1 masters in US March swing and then also winning the MC and possibly Barcelona.
He then skips Madrid stating fatigue and comes back fresh in Rome.

Some times you just get a feeling and I feel this is a Nadal's season. If he wins RG I wouldn't count him out for Wimbledon too.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He likes to play in Rome way more than in Madrid, not even those bumpy lines are going to stop him.
He is in great form right now. I could see him winning 1 masters in US March swing and then also winning the MC and possibly Barcelona.
He then skips Madrid stating fatigue and comes back fresh in Rome.

Some times you just get a feeling and I feel this is a Nadal's season. If he wins RG I wouldn't count him out for Wimbledon too.
Don,
I hope the powers in Rome do something about the court's surface,last year it was disgraceful for all players,the worst I have seen it quite frankly,including those bumpy lines.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another great stat for Rafa Nadal,
Rafa has now won 11 finals in a row and a record breaking 30th title without dropping a set.
Nadal previously held the record of 29 titles with Connors.Lendl is third on the list with 28 titles under his name.
Nadal's biggest rivals,Federer and Djokovic, are considerably behind with 22 and 19 titles respectively without dropping a set.It is unlikey that either player will surpass Nadal,the 21-time Major champion in this regard,given Federer is very close to retiring,while Djokovic has a sizeable gap to cover.
He is three wins away from tying his personal record 14 finals win a row.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching Rafa in practice at IW,at least he practiced in the day,in sunshine,not like his first practice session in the night.,looking sharp in practice

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Regarding Rafa Nadal's winning streak shows that Nadal's serving has been fundamental to his recent success.
Rafa has won 89.7% of his service games this year,up on 85.8% career average.This solid base has made it difficult for opponents to make inroads against the 91-time tour-titlist.Rafa has not dropped a set outside of the AO and all but of his 15 wins have been in straight sets.Holding serve so reliably has also given Rafa more freedom to attack in his return games,a combination so effective that 23 of 37 sets he has won have been by a margin of 6-3 or greater.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reactions: tented and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just read Roig's feelings that Rafa could skip some clay court tournaments this year,he feels that Rafa being 35, fitness is the upmost important issue for Rafa at Roland Garos in 2022.So far Rafa has only confirmed for Barcelona.
Also another important issue is Novak Djokovic will be allowed to play at MC and Roland Garos this year.
I am also hearing the Rome could also relax its vaccination status as well,that is yet to be confirmed

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
As a Rafa fan, I'm now in that uncomfortable position of feeling slightly elated about his chances everywhere, and dreading the next match. But I think it's a good sign that he's thinking of playing fewer clay court events this year. Certainly, he's going to play MC and Barcelona. If Rome was scheduled for the dates Madrid has, it would be ideal to play there and issue the FU to the bigot Tiriac, who cares if he's gone.

Rome is situated a little tightly in the schedule beside Paris, but not impossibly, if he skips Madrid. I'd hope that Rafa is thinking of his schedule through Wimbledon now, and not just for the clay. In other words, no to Miami, and ideally he could skip MC and Madrid, just play Barcelona and Rome, then Paris, then Queens, then Wimbledon. He's that superior on clay that he doesn't need to prove it everywhere. He can practice and stay keen, instead of brawling with big rivals for a month before RG

And then one HC before the USO, Montreal being sufficient.

We've discussed here and elsewhere which slams we'd have Rafa win, if he's to win any more, and I've said I prefer the USO and Wimbledon for the value in setting records. But if he only won another FO and nothing else that would be great too.

Because 13 is an unlucky number! :skull-and-crossbones::smiling-face-with-horns:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As a Rafa fan, I'm now in that uncomfortable position of feeling slightly elated about his chances everywhere, and dreading the next match. But I think it's a good sign that he's thinking of playing fewer clay court events this year. Certainly, he's going to play MC and Barcelona. If Rome was scheduled for the dates Madrid has, it would be ideal to play there and issue the FU to the bigot Tiriac, who cares if he's gone.

Rome is situated a little tightly in the schedule beside Paris, but not impossibly, if he skips Madrid. I'd hope that Rafa is thinking of his schedule through Wimbledon now, and not just for the clay. In other words, no to Miami, and ideally he could skip MC and Madrid, just play Barcelona and Rome, then Paris, then Queens, then Wimbledon. He's that superior on clay that he doesn't need to prove it everywhere. He can practice and stay keen, instead of brawling with big rivals for a month before RG

We've discussed here and elsewhere which slams we'd have Rafa win, if he's to win any more, and I've said I prefer the USO and Wimbledon for the value in setting records. But if he only won another FO and nothing else that would be great too.

Because 13 is an unlucky number! :skull-and-crossbones::smiling-face-with-horns:
LOL we are on the same page with 13 titles at RG...I have never been a odd number lady :)
I hope Rafa skips Madrid,I say that every year....he does not listen....I would like Rafa to play Rome,if he skips MC that is okay for me as well.I will think about grass when we get over RG this year.,without too much suffering.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well said Kieran.

Of the clay, the one which I think is non negotiable is Barcelona. It’s his backyard tourney.

It’s crazy mixed in with some anxiety (but in a good way) that Nadal fans genuinely feel he has a shot at every tourney he enters this year. What I do like also is a Rafa interview after the AO, indicating that he’s done playing with the computer rankings in mind. He essentially said the #1 ranking is “gone” for him . I take it that he realizes his priority now is to protect his body for whatever competitive time he has left and enjoy the tournament play itself. Getting prepped for the Majors is the goal , weeks at #1 are not his concern anymore. Of course if he gets them he won’t complain. ; )

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
LOL we are on the same page with 13 titles at RG...I have never been a odd number lady :)
I hope Rafa skips Madrid,I say that every year....he does not listen....I would like Rafa to play Rome,if he skips MC that is okay for me as well.I will think about grass when we get over RG this year.,without too much suffering.
We’ll suffer anyway, even when he wins!
Well said Kieran.

Of the clay, the one which I think is non negotiable is Barcelona. It’s his backyard tourney.

It’s crazy mixed in with some anxiety (but in a good way) that Nadal fans genuinely feel he has a shot at every tourney he enters this year. What I do like also is a Rafa interview after the AO, indicating that he’s done playing with the computer rankings in mind. He essentially said the #1 ranking is “gone” for him . I take it that he realizes his priority now is to protect his body for whatever competitive time he has left and enjoy the tournament play itself. Getting prepped for the Majors is the goal , weeks at #1 are not his concern anymore. Of course if he gets them he won’t complain. ; )
That’s it. I think his “ambition” now is to enjoy playing tennis. And when he enjoys it, it means he competes even harder. But I definitely think he sees this time as a reprieve, after the foot injury scare last year, which in tennis terms was an existential threat to his doing what he loves. Maybe it even made him realise just how much he loves tennis, and he’s playing with a brand new perspective?

Reactions: Jelenafan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

If Rafa can win the channel slams, it would definitely put a lot of pressure on Novak for next year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Translation: Nadal trained with Tsitsipas today.

If you think about it, Rafa's journey was always with a lot of obstacles (Roger, injuries, the Novak factor, injuries, the Novak Factor, injuries, the Novak Factor, injuries, Next GEN/the Novak Factor/Injuries) since he was 17. That's the legacy of the GOAT. He looks very comfortable at the top and now its time to show just how talented he is. I keep referencing it, but look at how well he controls the racket from the baseline and at the net. He has mastered the slice, backhand volley and stabbed half volley (Roger and Johnny Mac are the only two I seen with hands like this). Rafa's overhead which is a huge weakness in Novak's arsenal is the best in the game. He had none of this in his repertoire in 2005. He is an complete tennis player, ask Daniil.

Reactions: tented