Indian Wells, BNP Paribas Open, CA, USA, ATP Masters 2017

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
Grigor Dimitrov for the title!

I am sorry El Dude that Grigor failed again to come up to your expectations. I was also hoping to see him in the later stages of the event. But I was not as optimistic as you, I don't think he is at that level yet.
On another note, Sock is also on an uptrend path and all in all this is not such a bad result.
The issue is that to get through the players ranked 11-20 is not an easy task at all.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Hard to tell really. I mean, he lost a set yesterday to a guy with 2 gammy wrists who can't hit backhands properly...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Even that I'm not Delpo's fan yesterday I felt sorry for him when he gave up in the third set, he did a good effort in the previous sets but he is not well fitted and I'm afraid he won't, his height doesn't help him too much and his diferent backhand either

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Of all the players on tour who could make some noise if not for injuries, Del Potro is top of the list. It's a tough situation and sucks not only for him, but for tennis in general.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
I am sorry El Dude that Grigor failed again to come up to your expectations. I was also hoping to see him in the later stages of the event. But I was not as optimistic as you, I don't think he is at that level yet.
On another note, Sock is also on an uptrend path and all in all this is not such a bad result.
The issue is that to get through the players ranked 11-20 is not an easy task at all.

Replace "expectations" with "hope," as at this point I don't expect anything more from Grigor than being another Monfils-type (tier 3 player with tier 1 talent), or maybe Gasquet-type (tier 3 player with tier 2 talent). But I still think that Grigor can win at least a Masters or two. Actually, it might be to the point that I'd be very surprised if he didn't win at least one Masters in his career. So something like this:

Expect: More ATP 250s/500s and maybe a Masters or two; a few years in the top 5-10 range
Hope: Several Masters and a Slam or two; a year or two in the top 5

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I think people are living in the past with Del Potro. Even when he came back in 2011-13, he didn't build upon the elite-level talent he displayed in 2009. I don't see why now, at age 28, he's going to somehow re-capture the flame from eight years ago and be a serious threat.

A moderate threat? Sure. But I think people hoping for him to dial back to 2009 and build from there is wishful thinking.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
I think people are living in the past with Del Potro. Even when he came back in 2011-13, he didn't build upon the elite-level talent he displayed in 2009. I don't see why now, at age 28, he's going to somehow re-capture the flame from eight years ago and be a serious threat.

A moderate threat? Sure. But I think people hoping for him to dial back to 2009 and build from there is wishful thinking.

It is not that his talent or execution has decreased. It is just that injuries are preventing him to play his best. His serve and forehand are still quite powerful.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, but I don't think he ever fully came back to his 2009 level, even when he was fully health in 2012-13.

That said, he seems like a good candidate to sneak in a Masters or two. But a Slam? I just can't see it.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
El Dude said:
Yeah, but I don't think he ever fully came back to his 2009 level, even when he was fully health in 2012-13.

That said, he seems like a good candidate to sneak in a Masters or two. But a Slam? I just can't see it.

For now? For sure, but I do believe we tend to analyze things taking too much stock on what happened just now. One guy loses one match and he is doomed for life. (I am answering your post but the comment is completely generic).

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think it's still a little too early to rate JMDP's level. He did just come back last month after being off for several months. He did win 5 set matches in DC so we know he can play them. Let's revisit this in the fall and see how his ranking goes.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DYjr got slain by the Samurai warrior.. Still a very good showing by the Donald.. he is getting better.. Sock is the lone American male left in the draw..

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
:laydownlaughing
herios said:
the AntiPusher said:
Well..let's put this way..if DYJr wins..you ain't gonna give me kudos for my prediction

Actually you are wrong. You got it right. To my surprise.

:laydownlaughing you are hilarious...

Are you on board and gonna show some :heart: for DYJr to defeat Kei Nishikori aka the Samurai warrior

This time around it was just wishful thinking from you. DY never beaten Kei and that remained the case after today as well.
6-2, 6-4

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
PCB makes his first career QF in master.
And he is knocking on the top 20 soon.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good win by Carreño :clap

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
the AntiPusher said:
:laydownlaughing
herios said:
Actually you are wrong. You got it right. To my surprise.

:laydownlaughing you are hilarious...

Are you on board and gonna show some :heart: for DYJr to defeat Kei Nishikori aka the Samurai warrior

This time around it was just wishful thinking from you. DY never beaten Kei and that remained the case after today as well.
6-2, 6-4

A couple of years ago Donald had never beaten a top player like Murray at IW but he did. I felt he had a chance against a Kei regardless of their h2h because the surface at IW really suits DYJr game. There will be more competitive banter that you and I will engage in..this ain't over

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Just when the draw opens up, folks that you think will move forward fail. After Grigor, now Goffin fails.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Goffin has a clear ceiling, in my opinion, and thus is quite a bit less talented than Grigor - despite being more consistent. He's the classic "third tier" player who might sneak into the top 10 on occasion, but really belongs in the 11-20 range - sort of like a Gilles Simon, Fernando Verdasco, Richard Gasquet, Janko Tipsarevic, etc. In a way he reminds me of David Ferrer, a guy who only won a Masters because the true elite either didn't play (Rafa), withdrew (Roger) or went out early (Andy, Novak).

But these types of players are still very good and serve a purpose for the young guys coming up: to get into the top 10, you have to push past Goffin.