Fedalovic Wars

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Interestingly, it was Roger who retired first, although five years and six years old and the other two, due to knee problems and surgery. I would have thought that with his first strike tennis and fluid movement with seemingly less physical exertion and the other two, he would outlasted them even though he was older! LOL
I'd like to believe that Federer was a victim of unlucky timing at the end. He was going strong as late as the 2020 Australian Open, until he suffered the injury in the QF. He barely won that match, but the injury made him uncompetitive against Novak in the SF. Then, the pandemic hits (the lockdowns and everything), which most likely messed up Roger's recovery schedule. Roger came back in 2021 and wasn't the same player. He played his last match at Wimbledon just weeks before his 40th birthday, and was bageled in the final set.

To be honest, I thought Rafa was going to retire in 2021, after he missed Wimbledon and the Olympics due to injury, as well as his subsequent lost to Lloyd Harris at the Citi Open that August. That Rafa looked like a shell of the player that bageled Sinner and was competitive against Djokovic at the French Open just two months earlier. I would have never thought he would come back from that, much less win the next 2 slams.

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You're kind to ask. Personally, I've been very "in my feelings" about Rafa in the last many months, and watching him play. You have a favorite player over such a long time, as you know, and it's hard when you can see that the end is coming.

With Rafa, we're lived through the struggles with injury, and even confidence, and we've seen him come back. But it's getting harder to believe in. I'd love it if he can pull it together for one more resurgence, and yes, another win at RG would be a dream. (I will remind you and others of when we Rafa fans just hoped he'd come back, after a fallow period, and finally get #15 to pass Pete. So dreams do come true.)

That said, to the other part of your question, and citing Fiero, by which you mean, how much do we fear he'll limp towards the end? I read Wertheim's recent Mailbag to this effect: he says that every player has a right to play as long as they like, and it in no way affects their legacy. Fans love the romance of seeing someone go out on a high note, or hoping they will. But that's hard to time perfectly. I'll support Rafa as long as he plays. The decision of when to quit is up to him.
I fully concur with lil sis Moxie!

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Safedalovic wars should be the title of this thread. We should include Sampras!! No??

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Safedalovic wars should be the title of this thread. We should include Sampras!! No??
Pistol Pete is always in the conversation especially if talking fast grass and hard courts. He had an iron will and feared no one.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
P QF!istol Pete is always in the conversation, esp. if talking fast grass and hard courts. He had an iron will and feared no one.

True enuf! Thru his tenure at the top, Pete was 2nd to none, even w/o playing in a FO final! At his best, he could only make 2 good runs in Paris before the eventual champ. took him out in the QF & SF resp.! Even Agassi embarrassed him in an early round on the Terre Battue of RG! It was a different story on faster courts where he excelled; esp. indoors & on grass! He still had some "Kryptonite" players that beat him on his fave surfaces; 1 being Richard Krajicek who stopped his Wimbledon runs right down the middle by upsetting Pete in the '96 QF! Krajicek caught him on HC's as well, but overall, Pete was the man w/ nerves of steel! Fed doesn't come close IMO! :astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::yawningface::anxious-face-with-sweat:

Last edited:

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero talking bs again, Federer is better than Sampras....put simply.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
True enuf! Thru his tenure at the top, Pete was 2nd to none, even w/o playing in a FO final! At his best, he could only make 2 good runs in Paris before the eventual champ. took him out in the QF & SF resp.! Even Agassi embarrassed him in an early round on the Terre Battue of RG! It was a different story on faster courts where he excelled; esp. indoors & on grass! He still had some "Kryptonite" players that beat him on his fave surfaces; 1 being Richard Krajicek who stopped his Wimbledon runs right down the middle by upsetting Pete in the '96 QF! Krajicek caught him on HC's as well, but overall, Pete was the man w/ nerves of steel! Fed doesn't come close IMO! :astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::yawningface::anxious-face-with-sweat:
I'm pretty sure you're talking about nerves, which I think you're right about: Pete was better than Roger in high pressure moments. But overall, at best (for Pete) they were roughly equal on grass, Roger was a bit better on hards, and much better on clay. Therefore, Roger > Pete -- and it isn't particularly close.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm pretty sure you're talking about nerves, which I think you're right about: Pete was better than Roger in high pressure moments. But overall, at best (for Pete) they were roughly equal on grass, Roger was a bit better on hards, and much better on clay. Therefore, Roger > Pete -- and it isn't particularly close.
Yeah if Roger only had Pete's clutch serve he'd have ended up with many more slams. Obviously Roger's serve was one of the best but it broke down at times when he needed it most. All those 40-15 blown match points must still haunt him. Doubt very much that Pete would have lost that many with 2 match points and 40-15 on his own serve. The serve on the first MP at Wimbledon 2019 was absolute dog shit. Weak asf and right into the hitting zone for Djokovic.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In terms of peak level and true greatness:

Nadal > Federer > Sampras > Djokovic

In terms peak luck with draws, timing and injuries:

Djokovic > Federer > Sampras > Nadal

• Sad

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What are we gong to call this Alcaraz Sinner rivalry? Someone has to come with a good name and start a new thread on it. Suggestions suggestions!!

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah if Roger only had Pete's clutch serve he'd have ended up with many more slams. Obviously Roger's serve was one of the best but it broke down at times when he needed it most. All those 40-15 blown match points must still haunt him. Doubt very much that Pete would have lost that many with 2 match points and 40-15 on his own serve. The serve on the first MP at Wimbledon 2019 was absolute dog shit. Weak asf and right into the hitting zone for Djokovic.
The 2009 US Open final was another good example. I couldn't believe that a prime Federer blew 2 tiebreakers and wilted in the 5th set. With a reliable serve, he wins at least one of those tiebreakers, and a 6th straight US Open title.

• Angry
Reactions: Front242
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murat Baslamisli Pro Tennis (Mens) 1923