Fedal - XXXVII - Miami Finals

Who takes this one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure how an elbow injury would effect baseline rally speed, assuming you mean his foot speed.

I mean, I get how it would slow him down overall, but if we can differentiate and see that he's actually slowed in terms of getting to the ball, then his elbow would have nothing to do with it.

I can definitely see an elbow, wrist, or shoulder issue causing a loss of power on his shots. It's not just the physical pain but mentally it'd be tough to convince yourself to hit harder when you know it might make the injury worse.

I do think there has been a loss of movement too, that's always one of the last things to be noticed when a top player's level drops. The match with Istomin was about as bad as I've ever seen Novak move. Istomin was not redlining and he was still hitting tons of winners or near winners that Djoker usually would've gotten a solid racquet on in the past.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure how an elbow injury would effect baseline rally speed, assuming you mean his foot speed.

I mean, I get how it would slow him down overall, but if we can differentiate and see that he's actually slowed in terms of getting to the ball, then his elbow would have nothing to do with it.

As @Twisted has implied I was referring to his speed of shot, not movement

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can definitely see an elbow, wrist, or shoulder issue causing a loss of power on his shots. It's not just the physical pain but mentally it'd be tough to convince yourself to hit harder when you know it might make the injury worse.

I do think there has been a loss of movement too, that's always one of the last things to be noticed when a top player's level drops. The match with Istomin was about as bad as I've ever seen Novak move. Istomin was not redlining and he was still hitting tons of winners or near winners that Djoker usually would've gotten a solid racquet on in the past.
To your point, I think Del Potro lost a lot of power on his shots for quite some time by being gun-shy about his wrists. He seems to be getting more of the body-confidence back and hitting harder, even though he uses the one-handed slice much more than before on the BH side.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
To your point, I think Del Potro lost a lot of power on his shots for quite some time by being gun-shy about his wrists. He seems to be getting more of the body-confidence back and hitting harder, even though he uses the one-handed slice much more than before on the BH side.

Yes and I was happy to see DP hitting through more backhands against Roger instead of slicing everything back. I think he knew early on he couldn't get away with it and he showed that he can still hit through it so, like you said, it may be a mental thing for him at this point that he is starting to get over.