Administrator
Reactions
Iconic singer Frankie Beverly passed away yesterday at age 77
Some of my friends went to his farewell tour this spring in St. Louis

1726165768653.png

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Oh man--loved Maze featuring Mr. Beverly, and LOOOOOOVE "The Golden Time of Day". Then there is "Happy Feelings" and , of course, "Before I Let Go"!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kskate2

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Frankie had one of the smoothest and most captivating of voices. Marvin Gaye was a huge fan and gave Maze a boost in the early 1970s!

Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Oh man--loved Maze featuring Mr. Beverly, and LOOOOOOVE "The Golden Time of Day". Then there is "Happy Feelings" and , of course, "Before I Let Go"!!!
Did you ever get to see him live.. He was before my generation. Most of my older cousins saw him and MAZE at the Summer Super Concerts but I was way too young. I thought I would have caught him in the Bay Area or something but never got around to it, I guess in Life if you have seen Michael Jackson, Prince, George Michael, Blondie and the Police, well the music Gods probably feels that is sufficient. :good:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Sadly, no--but would have loved it. He was more than a singer--he could write and played guitar back in the Seventies before he became almost exclusively the vocalist MAN he was! Sounded like he was one cool and dignified cat.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Alas one of the truly greats is now gone, nobody had better comic timing than Maggie Smith.

Never seemed pretentious or arrogant, and I
still remember some hilarious skits on the Carole Brunett show

“The prime of Miss Jean Brodie” to paraphrase my favorite line of that film, Maggie truly was “la creme de la creme”.

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions

Alas one of the truly greats is now gone, nobody had better comic timing than Maggie Smith.

Never seemed pretentious or arrogant, and I
still remember some hilarious skits on the Carole Brunett show

“The prime of Miss Jean Brodie” to paraphrase my favorite line of that film, Maggie truly was “la creme de la creme”.
I'm very sorry to hear that. She was very good. I especially liked her in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" & the "Sister Act" films. May she R.I.P.

Reactions: Jelenafan and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kris Kristofferson wrote some of the most memorable songs of our time. “ Help me make it through the night” still moves me.

• Love
Reactions: Moxie and shawnbm

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like Jimmy Buffet when he died last year, this one really cuts to the core. In my humble opinion, not enough can be said as to how influential, impactful and beautiful this great songwriter was. He really is probably along with Hank Williams and Willie Nelson the finest songwriter that we have had in the 20th century in the country realm. Willie would probably concede he was the finer writer. Kris was a true renaissance man. He was not only a tremendous songwriter, but an actor, a poet, an Army Ranger who flew helicopters in the military and rose to the level of Captain during the Vietnam War era, then utilized his helicopter skills to fly back and forth to oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico off of Texas, in addition to being a Rhodes Scholar who studied at Oxford before that (Masters in English Literature).

"For The Good Times", "Casey's Last Stand", "Help Me Make It Through The Night,", "Me and and Bobby McGee", "Pilgrim 33", "The Silver Tongued Devil", "Lovin' Her Was Easier" are all well known and covered by dozens of others over the years--as well they should. But then he penned a gospel song so moving Elvis would not sing it but backed up to let another from his choir do so and he would sing with the choir the chorus "Lord help me, Jesus, I've wasted it sooo help me, Jesus. I know what I am. Now that I know that I needed you sooo help me, Jesus. My soul's in your hand." That song, of course, is "Why Me (Lord)?" I can't think of many others who wrote like him--sensual, earthy, penetrating to the soul. RIP Kris.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like Jimmy Buffet when he died last year, this one really cuts to the core. In my humble opinion, not enough can be said as to how influential, impactful and beautiful this great songwriter was. He really is probably along with Hank Williams and Willie Nelson the finest songwriter that we have had in the 20th century in the country realm. Willie would probably concede he was the finer writer. Kris was a true renaissance man. He was not only a tremendous songwriter, but an actor, a poet, an Army Ranger who flew helicopters in the military and rose to the level of Captain during the Vietnam War era, then utilized his helicopter skills to fly back and forth to oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico off of Texas, in addition to being a Rhodes Scholar who studied at Oxford before that (Masters in English Literature).

"For The Good Times", "Casey's Last Stand", "Help Me Make It Through The Night,", "Me and and Bobby McGee", "Pilgrim 33", "The Silver Tongued Devil", "Lovin' Her Was Easier" are all well known and covered by dozens of others over the years--as well they should. But then he penned a gospel song so moving Elvis would not sing it but backed up to let another from his choir do so and he would sing with the choir the chorus "Lord help me, Jesus, I've wasted it sooo help me, Jesus. I know what I am. Now that I know that I needed you sooo help me, Jesus. My soul's in your hand." That song, of course, is "Why Me (Lord)?" I can't think of many others who wrote like him--sensual, earthy, penetrating to the soul. RIP Kris.
That was a really lovely recap, Shawn. This was a sad loss. He was such a lovely songwriter. As one friend of mine said yesterday, "Brains AND beauty." He was a fine-looking man, it must be said.

• Love
Reactions: kskate2 and shawnbm

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks, Moxie. If you have never listened to it, try For the Good Times and Please Don't Tell Me How the Story Ends, the latter of which he sings with his then-wife, Rita Coolidge.

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Lost a few more celebs over the last 2 weeks:

Chad McQueen on Sep 11 who starred in the Karate Kid and was son to Steve McQueen was 63.
1727918440087.png

Tito Jackson, brother to Michael and Janet. A founder of the Jackson 5 died on Sep 15 and was 70.
1727918756734.png

Kathryn Crosby, actress and widow of Bing Crosby on Sep 22 was 90.
1727920123714.png

Jazz saxophonist and composer Benny Golson on Sept 23 was 95. In the 60's he began writing music for movies and for television shows such as "Mannix," "M-A-S-H" and "Mission: Impossible." He also arranged music for performers including Peggy Lee, Lou Rawls and Dusty Springfield.
1727920555830.png

Freddie Salem, Outlaws guitarist on Sep 24 was 70.
1727921143013.png

John Ashton on Sep 29 of Beverly Hills Cop fame was 76.
1727919716902.png

7'2" powerhouse NBA humanitarian Dikembe Mutumbo on Sep 30. Famous for his finger wag when blocking a shot was 58. He spoke 9 languages and served on many boards including the Special Olympics.

1727947158878.png

Broadway and Tony award winner Gavin Creel on Sep 30. Won his Tony for Hello Dolly was 48.
1727947769813.png

Pete Rose on Sep 30 who was the all time hit leader and has now completed his lifetime ban will likely get inducted posthumously to the Baseball HOF was 83.
1727919131853.png

Frank Fritz star of American Pickers on Sep 30 was 60.

1727949114944.png

Broadway star Ken Page on Oct 1 famous for his role in Nightmare Before Christmas was 70.
1727950115538.png

Days of Our Lives star Drake Hogestyn on Oct 2 who appeared in 4200+ episodes was 70.
1727948455040.png

Reactions: Jelenafan and Moxie