Cordoba 250 Clay

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sadly, Tennis Channel is not showing Londero v. Delbonis, but the #119 in the world appears to be running roughshod over his (much taller) countryman.
My Goodness, he took Delbonis to the cleaners.
6-1, 6-0.
Where was this guy before?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My Goodness, he took Delbonis to the cleaners.
6-1, 6-0.
Where was this guy before?
Only @mrzz seems to have pegged him at all, but of course he's our eyes-on-the-ground in So. America. That was surely a drubbing. From what I saw on live scores, he was smothering Delbonis' serve. On the live rankings, this win pushes Londerer up to NCH #88. Someone new for the clay court season?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Only @mrzz seems to have pegged him at all, but of course he's our eyes-on-the-ground in So. America. That was surely a drubbing. From what I saw on live scores, he was smothering Delbonis' serve. On the live rankings, this win pushes Londerer up to NCH #88. Someone new for the clay court season?

I don't think anyone saw that coming. Delbonis is a decent clay courter (has beaten Federer on clay, btw), there must be some explanation I would guess. Will try to watch some of the action tomorrow.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think anyone saw that coming. Delbonis is a decent clay courter (has beaten Federer on clay, btw), there must be some explanation I would guess. Will try to watch some of the action tomorrow.
It would be great if you can watch and report back. As you say, Delbonis is a creditable clay court guy. A hard-fought win would have been an upset, but this seems astonishing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

How about match fixing? :lol6:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Or doping? If we're going to put all of the ugly things on the table. I don't want to slag Londero, but if we're going to wonder.

No, I was just kidding. If it is match fixing, usually they would not want to make it very obvious with a one-sided score.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, I was just kidding. If it is match fixing, usually they would not want to make it very obvious with a one-sided score.
Good point. It does amuse me though, that folks like Darth and Front find so much to suspect on Rafa, but when other anomalies pop up, not a peep. Obviously, this will not be on their radar yet, but it's exactly the kind of thing that should be discussed, and yet, is not interesting to the fan boys.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pella v. Cuevas was hard-fought and the Argentine prevailed in the end. My feed cut off mid-3rd set. They seemed pretty well-matched, from what I saw.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good point. It does amuse me though, that folks like Darth and Front find so much to suspect on Rafa, but when other anomalies pop up, not a peep. Obviously, this will not be on their radar yet, but it's exactly the kind of thing that should be discussed, and yet, is not interesting to the fan boys.

Why would Delbonis give up a match to an unknown fellow Argentine, after he defeated back to back the two younger Spanish hopes, Baenas and Munar ? Makes no sense whatsoever. This event was up for grabs to anyone after all the top seeds got eliminated.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why would Delbonis give up a match to an unknown fellow Argentine, after he defeated back to back the two younger Spanish hopes, Baenas and Munar ? Makes no sense whatsoever. This event was up for grabs to anyone after all the top seeds got eliminated.
It's wasn't my idea. GSM did say he was kidding, and that the scoreline wouldn't imply fixing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pella v. Londerer in the final. All Argentine final, though surely not expected.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In any case, a new ATP title holder will get crowned tomorrow.
Pella lost all his matches in the 3 finals he was in before, needless to say that Londero has never been in a final before. Until this event he played only 6 matches in total on the ATP tour.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In any case, a new ATP title holder will get crowned tomorrow.
Pella lost all his matches in the 3 finals he was in before, needless to say that Londero has never been in a final before. Until this event he played only 6 matches in total on the ATP tour.
Pella has no ATP title? Sorry, I know that's what you just said, but that surprises me.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Pella has no ATP title? Sorry, I know that's what you just said, but that surprises me.
He was in 3 finals, all on clay. Lost one to Cuevas (500) in Brazil, one to Sasha and one to Cecchinato.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He was in 3 finals, all on clay. Lost one to Cuevas (500) in Brazil, one to Sasha and one to Cecchinato.
Good intel, thanks. Boy, he's going to be crushed if he loses another one to Londerer, who has come out of nowhere.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good intel, thanks. Boy, he's going to be crushed if he loses another one to Londerer, who has come out of nowhere.
Right on. I hope he wins. The next few events on clay will be more crowded.
I see Thiem already listed at Buenos Aires next week.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Right on. I hope he wins. The next few events on clay will be more crowded.
I see Thiem already listed at Buenos Aires next week.
I have Thiem winning that one in my draw.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Found some sort of explanation for the score: Londero is from Cordoba, so he is really a local. Went after tenis news sites from Argentina and from what I found looks like Delbonis was showing signs of being tired. As Herios put, he did pass through good players.

Could not find highlights of the match, but found from some early Londero matches in the same tournament. The backhand is clicking. It will be a hard fought final and there will be all the noise in the world in the stadium. I guess Pella is from Buenos Aires, and the rivalry between the capital and the rest of the country in Argentina is huge. They will eat him alive...

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Pella v. Londerer in the final. All Argentine final, though surely not expected.

Londero. You can't stop thinking about players with name ending with "derer", can you?:)

Reactions: britbox