Cordoba 250 Clay

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
A new event will take place in Argentina, Cordoba.
It replaces the event in Quito, Ecuador which used to be the first leg in the South American clay season.

Seeds:
1. F. Fognini
2. M. Cecchinato
3. D . Schwartzman
4. P. Carreno-Busta
5. N. Jarry
6. M. Jaziri
7. L. Mayer
8. G. Pella

Reactions: kskate2

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
It is a long shot, but a FogxChec final would be fun

Enviado de meu MotoE2(4G-LTE) usando o Tapatalk

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1st Round ..
Aljaz Bedene (SLO) beat Maximilian Marterer (GER) 6-3 6-4
8-Guido Pella (ARG) beat Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) 6-1 6-3
Lorenzo Sonego (ITA) beat Pablo Andujar (ESP) 6-3 6-2
Pedro Cachin (ARG) beat Cameron Norrie (GBR) 6-4 6-4

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jarry, who I am hoping to make some waves on clay, had a less than impressive debut.
Lost to an Argentine, I have never heard about, Londero.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Jarry, who I am hoping to make some waves on clay, had a less than impressive debut.
Lost to an Argentine, I have never heard about, Londero.

Juan Inacio Londero. Your typical clay courter, solid player. A Chilean, in Argentina, against a local... He probably had to hear them celebrating every single first serve he missed. Not impressive I agree but not as surprising as it might seem.

Reactions: herios

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Juan Inacio Londero. Your typical clay courter, solid player. A Chilean, in Argentina, against a local... He probably had to hear them celebrating every single first serve he missed. Not impressive I agree but not as surprising as it might seem.
This was only the first leg of this miniseason. I am hoping he will redeem himself.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
@mrzz , what do you think about Munar, as far as potential? Does he have at least a PBC type of potential, or better?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
He could be bigger, but seems to be loaded with talent. The two matches I saw on last year's next gen finals impressed me in some ways. Let us say that he seemed a very inventive counter-puncher, if that exists. So, potential wise, I think he could go further than PCB -- who by the way is continuously improving. But, as you remind everyone once in a while, potential is just... potential.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He could be bigger, but seems to be loaded with talent. The two matches I saw on last year's next gen finals impressed me in some ways. Let us say that he seemed a very inventive counter-puncher, if that exists. So, potential wise, I think he could go further than PCB -- who by the way is continuously improving. But, as you remind everyone once in a while, potential is just... potential.
I was asking because, currently he is the only hope of the armada, once the generation we have known for more than a decade leaves the scene.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
an 18yr old lost, but his name is full of win..,,,,,,thiago seyboth wild. :dance2:

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is this previously chili tourney or Ecuador tourney or both.
Both. It was initially in Vina del Mar in Chile, got moved to Quito in Ecuador for about 5 years or so, now is debuting in Cordoba .

Reactions: mrzz

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Thx, I'd never heard of him before.

1st Round

Pablo Cuevas (URU) beat Facundo Bagnis (ARG) 6-4 6-4
6-Malek Jaziri (TUN) beat Carlos Berlocq (ARG) 6-3 4-6 7-6(4)
Alessandro Giannessi (ITA) beat Thiago Seyboth Wild (BRA) 6-7(8) 7-5 7-6(4)
Juan Ignacio Londero (ARG) beat 5-Nicolas Jarry (CHI) 6-2 7-6(5)
Roberto Carballes Baena beat Andrej Martin (SVK) 6-3 6-2
Jaume Munar (ESP) beat Guido Andreozzi (ARG) 6-1 6-4

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I was asking because, currently he is the only hope of the armada, once the generation we have known for more than a decade leaves the scene.

They have Baena too, which has also a different kind of game. Actually if we look in detail, we find more Spaniards (active, either young or old) which defy the "grinder" cliche than the ones who apparently confirm it. I could go one by one but definitely not enough time to that. But I am still neutral or root against most of them, apart from Verdasco, as I always root for empty-headed bastards. One day we will take over the world.

an 18yr old lost, but his name is full of win..,,,,,,thiago seyboth wild

He is the Brazilian hope. He's got game. Ranked around ~500, lost his two atp matches to guys 400 places or more above him, but all went to the third, he won the first in both and was in position to close I guess in the second and third sets of both. Still some nerves to deal with but a nice prospect. And, yes, helluva name. @Moxie called attention to that a while ago, I guess in last Rio Open, when he got a wild card (his other ATP match). He's got wild cards for both Braz tournaments this year (Rio's ATP 500 and Brazil Open ATP 250, pretty close to my home here in SP, thus greatest tournament of all time).

Both. It was initially in Vina del Mar in Chile, got moved to Quito in Ecuador for about 5 years or so, now is debuting in Cordoba .

Vina del Mar is the place were Nadal lost one of his few clay finals, against Zeballos, who is a quite nice guy by the way. Then Quito was surely the highest altitude tournament I guess, around 2800 meters above sea level. Bellucci and loved that tournament, he is probable one of the GOATs in high altitude as he won there and made a lot of SF, and also won in Gstaad (more than 1000 meters high) and made semis in Madrid (~700 meters).

Thx, I'd never heard of him before.

My post you quoted could be misleading, as I was talking about Jarry actually (know that you got it but still). It should be read as:

"Juan Inacio Londero. Your typical clay courter, solid player. Jarry, which is Chilean, in Argentina, against a local (Londero)... He probably had to hear them celebrating every single first serve he missed. Not impressive I agree but not as surprising as it might seem."

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Top 2 seeds upset today . Fognini by Bedene and Cecchinato by Munar.

Reactions: Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Top 2 seeds upset today . Fognini by Bedene and Cecchinato by Munar.

So much for my "dream" final. Those two spaguetti eaters must have read my post in the beginning of the thread... anyway they lost to decent opponents, and there is Munar that you were talking about... Londero still alive by the way.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Pella beats Schwartzman, now he is the last seeded player standing.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There will be 3 Argentines in the SF:
Delbonis, Londero and Pella

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sadly, Tennis Channel is not showing Londero v. Delbonis, but the #119 in the world appears to be running roughshod over his (much taller) countryman.

Reactions: herios