ATP Cup, Australia

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
3rd Jan 2020 - 12th Jan 2020
Venue:
Brisbane/Perth/Sydney, Australia

brisbane-pat-rafter-arena.jpg

Pat Rafter Arena, Brisbane. Credit: Seamonkey210 (Wiki / Creative Commons)

Tournament Background:

The ATP Cup is an international outdoor hard court men's tennis tournament between competing nations, which will premiere in January 2020. The tournament will be played across three Australian cities over ten days in the lead up to the Australian Open and will feature teams from 24 countries.

The inaugural tournament is scheduled to take place between 3 and 12 January 2020, being played in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. Sydney will host the finals of the competition for the first three events between 2020 and 2022.

TV Coverage:

Australia: Nine Network
Canada: TSN
Germany: Sky Deutschland
New Zealand: Sky Sports
UK: Amazon Prime Video
USA: Tennis TV

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad to see the WTA Premier event for women ended last year because of this new concept,ATP Cup.It was one of the oldest tennis tournaments in the world,dating to 1885.,another reason it was 20 minutes from where I live in Sydney.:)

• Sad
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not too sold on this tournament either.
At least this year, aren't people going to feel like they just watched this tournament, (i.e., Davis Cup)? Since DC just changed to a similar format, I don't see how ATP Cup survives, and, of the two, I'd keep the one with the long tradition.

Here's a question: I thought I read that teams qualified based on the highest ranking of their best player. So then, why isn't Switzerland playing?

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
At least this year, aren't people going to feel like they just watched this tournament, (i.e., Davis Cup)? Since DC just changed to a similar format, I don't see how ATP Cup survives, and, of the two, I'd keep the one with the long tradition.

Fun fact: on Jeopardy! the other day, the first (i.e., easiest) question/answer in a sports category was Davis Cup/tennis -- no one even rang in. :facepalm:

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Australian officials will be monitoring air quality as the season begins amid heat and smoke from bushfires.Sydney,one of the three sites,is among the most affected by smoke from the bushfires.
Tom Larner ATP Cup Sydney tournament director said,
"We have got medical experts on site during the tournament who will be advising in relation to conditions and ensuring that it is safe for players to play and also for fans,ball boys and staff".
Sydney action begins this Friday.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Australian officials will be monitoring air quality as the season begins amid heat and smoke from bushfires.Sydney,one of the three sites,is among the most affected by smoke from the bushfires.
Tom Larner ATP Cup Sydney tournament director said,
"We have got medical experts on site during the tournament who will be advising in relation to conditions and ensuring that it is safe for players to play and also for fans,ball boys and staff".
Sydney action begins this Friday.
Of course, we've heard about this. Hadn't thought about the health hazard to the tournament. Be well, Margaret. Are you going to see any of the ATP Cup live?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can answer my own question about Switzerland: Roger withdrew for personal reasons, so Switzerland went out. Here is the wiki entry, which shows who is playing for which country, at least 3 top players. Looks like Berretini is not playing for Italy. As has been mentioned, Kei is out for Japan, (and also the AO.) Roanic not listed for Canada.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course, we've heard about this. Hadn't thought about the health hazard to the tournament. Be well, Margaret. Are you going to see any of the ATP Cup live?

I might go if Spain make the final,though if the smoke is bad,no thanks,it is had to breathe in these conditions,I am healthy,authorities warn people with any lung conditions etc,elderly not to go outside.It is New Years Eve here in Sydney the temp where I live is well over 100 F already and the smoke is bad,not good for the bushfires which are circling the city of Sydney.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I might go if Spain make the final,though if the smoke is bad,no thanks,it is had to breathe in these conditions,I am healthy,authorities warn people with any lung conditions etc,elderly not to go outside.It is New Years Eve here in Sydney the temp where I live is well over 100 F already and the smoke is bad,not good for the bushfires which are circling the city of Sydney.
It sounds terrible! Happy New Year, anyway. I hope the disaster is over soon.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
How bad is the smoke where they play the ATPCUP?, is it In Sydney?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
How bad is the smoke where they play the ATPCUP?, is it In Sydney?

Bad I am afraid to say,though it will be monitored by medical people at the venue.Play begins in Sydney this coming Friday.Rafa is lucky he is playing in Perth to begin.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bad I am afraid to say,though it will be monitored by medical people at the venue.Play begins in Sydney this coming Friday.Rafa is lucky he is playing in Perth to begin.
Good, anyway I hope that smoke will be better and better, on the contrary it will be awful for the people and of course for the players
Oh Happy New Year!!!!!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looks like Berretini is not playing for Italy.
I've read he is carrying some injury. I guess he wants to rest and be ready for AO.

Happy new year everyone!

It's very busy where I am in Singapore while the ship is in repair dock, so no party for me tonight. We are preparing to leave the dock day after tomorrow, but I am just waiting to finally fly home in about a week from now.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Fun fact: on Jeopardy! the other day, the first (i.e., easiest) question/answer in a sports category was Davis Cup/tennis -- no one even rang in. :facepalm:
Is it true that the ATP winner of this tournament gains 750 pts

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is it true that the ATP winner of this tournament gains 750 pts
Maximum 750 for singles and 250 for doubles. It all depends on the opponent's ranking, if it's higher that win is worth more points. This rule does not apply to doubles if I uderstood correct. It's a bit complicated scoring system IMO.