2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
"It's been a very good week of training, lots of situations on the court where the knee is tested to the maximum and the knee responded very well to all of that.That's why I decided to be in the draw. I'm confident in the health of my knee" Novak says he didnt have a single setback so he didnt question his decision to play here" ( source Carole Bouchard, tennis journalist, also wrote a book on Novak a few years back)
Lets remember the ball is low bouncing on the grass, so anyone with a knee injury, or complaint would feel it straight away/ or the next day

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude if you are around I suggest you listen to Gill Gross latest podcast regarding Wimbledon and his predications
What I like about Gill he can change his initial predications in his further podcasts at Wimbledon.
Gill has Novak d Sinner in the final, in 5 sets, though he did say it all depends on how Sinner responds after his SF win against Alcaraz, if he is able to play at a higher level he could see Sinner winning
I have to agree with Gill regarding Sinner, he has a better chance of winning on faster surfaces.
Anyway a long way from the final., there are many variables to take place before the final.
Gill also agrees what he has seen from Novak in his practice sessions at Wimbledon, he feels he is fine and does have a favorable draw.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course Steve Tignor put the 'Death Wish" on Sinner and predicted he would win:)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude if you are around I suggest you listen to Gill Gross latest podcast regarding Wimbledon and his predications
What I like about Gill he can change his initial predications in his further podcasts at Wimbledon.
Gill has Novak d Sinner in the final, in 5 sets, though he did say it all depends on how Sinner responds after his SF win against Alcaraz, if he is able to play at a higher level he could see Sinner winning
I have to agree with Gill regarding Sinner, he has a better chance of winning on faster surfaces.
Anyway a long way from the final., there are many variables to take place before the final.
Gill also agrees what he has seen from Novak in his practice sessions at Wimbledon, he feels he is fine and does have a favorable draw.
I skimmed a bit of it.

Novak's (presumed) health makes things interesting, with three co-favorites. I wouldn't be surprised if any of them win it, quite surprised if someone else does. Meaning, you have three grouped closely together and then a HUGE gap before everyone else. Something like:

Novak/Sinner/Alcaraz: 90% (25-35% each)
Everyone else: 10%

That said, not sure I favor Sinner over Alcaraz, although we haven't yet seen the "new" Sinner face Alcaraz on grass. Looking forward to it.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will also add that, draw aside, Novak probably has the biggest chance of being upset early on. If he plays into form and reaches the later rounds without exhausting himself, he probably becomes the favorite.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I skimmed a bit of it.

Novak's (presumed) health makes things interesting, with three co-favorites. I wouldn't be surprised if any of them win it, quite surprised if someone else does. Meaning, you have three grouped closely together and then a HUGE gap before everyone else. Something like:

Novak/Sinner/Alcaraz: 90% (25-35% each)
Everyone else: 10%

That said, not sure I favor Sinner over Alcaraz, although we haven't yet seen the "new" Sinner face Alcaraz on grass. Looking forward to it.
Agree, a match I am looking forward to "new Sinner to face Alcaraz on grass, hopefully they both make the SF :). I was impressed with Sinner's first grass title at Halle his focus and he did face some big hitters en route to the final

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Agree, a match I am looking forward to "new Sinner to face Alcaraz on grass, hopefully they both make the SF :). I was impressed with Sinner's first grass title at Halle his focus and he did face some big hitters en route to the final
Yup. It is also worth noting that while Alcaraz is 2-1 vs. Jannik at Slams, Jannik won their only Wimbledon match back in 2022.

Another fun fact: after Alcaraz's win in their first match (Paris 2021), they've alternated two wins in a row since for the last 8 matches, the last two being Carlos. So Jannik is due, if the pattern holds.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think we are taking this 'knee surgery' way out of context to begin with?
Having Arthoscopic surgery via key hole is a simple procedure and takes usually no longer than 1 hour? and it is day surgery
My husband had it a few years ago and he was back at work in 5 days, granted he isnt a athlete?
It is not like he had a knee replacement for goodness sakes?
Novak would not be playing if he and his medical team didnt think he could?
Lets put everything in perspective
I said earlier I dont think it was a good idea for Novak to play, that is just my opinion, playing on grass which at present is slippery then going back to clay isnt ideal.I think we will have to trust Novak and his team, and no I dont think it is cliche saying he can play himself into some form, remember he is the 7 time champion at Wimbledon? I have seen players doing this,.eg Rafa going into RG ? I dont know he he won his last RG title he was on crutches the next day and had to find another treatment for his foot.
It seems we basically agree, in that neither of us thinks it is especially wise for him to play Wimbledon, with the slippery grass, and given that he has to go back to clay in a rather short turnaround. I take your point that he has a whole team to advise him, and they'll know better. However, it's fairly well-known that he doesn't necessarily take "no" for an answer. :)
The player that got the harder draw out of the top seeds is my Italian Sinner, though last year his draw was easier, in saying that, he won Halle first grass tournament just like Alcaraz did last year? and remember Alcaraz went onto win Wimbledon? how ironic if Sinner also wins his first Wimbledon title this year, think about that!
Alcaraz coming into Wimbledon this year has not been that impressive, though with his favorable draw will be able to find his level, he has the weapons to do so.
I definitely believe Sinner has a solid chance to win Wimbledon this year, even with a tough draw. Remember Alcaraz had the tougher draw last year, and it honed him perfectly to win the final.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will also add that, draw aside, Novak probably has the biggest chance of being upset early on. If he plays into form and reaches the later rounds without exhausting himself, he probably becomes the favorite.
As I posted earlier on this post, we cant get a proper look at Novaks form, I mean playing tennis sets on grass, dosent give you a true indication of his play and level.
I also think we can access his form after a few matches, agree with your thoughts his biggest challenge is not being upset early on

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Of the 3 top options, yes, Novak is the most likely to be upset early. But here is the question that I asked @MargaretMcAleer: playing himself into what form? He hasn't been his old self since 2023. What are the chances that he finds his 2022-23 form? After knee issues? I disagree that he becomes the favorite if he reaches the later rounds. I still think Sinner and Alcaraz are favored. Even if one of them meets him in the final.

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Of the 3 top options, yes, Novak is the most likely to be upset early. But here is the question that I asked @MargaretMcAleer: playing himself into what form? He hasn't been his old self since 2023. What are the chances that he finds his 2022-23 form? After knee issues? I disagree that he becomes the favorite if he reaches the later rounds. I still think Sinner and Alcaraz are favored. Even if one of them meets him in the final.
Father Time is his biggest opponent IMO in the early rounds.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems we basically agree, in that neither of us thinks it is especially wise for him to play Wimbledon, with the slippery grass, and given that he has to go back to clay in a rather short turnaround. I take your point that he has a whole team to advise him, and they'll know better. However, it's fairly well-known that he doesn't necessarily take "no" for an answer. :)

I definitely believe Sinner has a solid chance to win Wimbledon this year, even with a tough draw. Remember Alcaraz had the tougher draw last year, and it honed him perfectly to win the final.
Two things that made me confident that Sinner will win Wimbledon:

He reached the RG SF w/out an ideal Clay preparation and he lost to the eventual champion (Alcaraz) in five sets on his “worst” surface.

Finally, he won Halle against “good” grass players Griekspoor (he is dangerous anywhere when he is ON), Struff (he serves BIG) and against Hurkacz (the 4th best grass player currently). And it was tight matches too, so Sinner knows what to expect coming into Wimbledon. He is both prepared physically and mentally for the fortnight.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope Novak will come looking sharp from R1 and put aside any form or knee concerns. He does have a good draw until possible Rune in R4. Despite that overall he has a good draw. No Sinner and no Alcaraz until the final, plus Zverev is not really a grass expert. What more can he ask for? He likes the conditions on grass where it's not much of a physical battle for an aging man.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope Novak will come looking sharp from R1 and put aside any form or knee concerns. He does have a good draw until possible Rune in R4. Despite that overall he has a good draw. No Sinner and no Alcaraz until the final, plus Zverev is not really a grass expert. What more can he ask for? He likes the conditions on grass where it's not much of a physical battle for an aging man.
Novak received a favorable draw, cant really access his form in match conditions until he plays a couple of matches, though he has looked okay to me in the grass practice sessions he has had before Wimbledon starts.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Two things that made me confident that Sinner will win Wimbledon:

He reached the RG SF w/out an ideal Clay preparation and he lost to the eventual champion (Alcaraz) in five sets on his “worst” surface.

Finally, he won Halle against “good” grass players Griekspoor (he is dangerous anywhere when he is ON), Struff (he serves BIG) and against Hurkacz (the 4th best grass player currently). And it was tight matches too, so Sinner knows what to expect coming into Wimbledon. He is both prepared physically and mentally for the fortnight.
Well Jannik and Tallon are practically best friends as they are projected to play one another at Wimbledon, if the draw goes to plan,
I was impressed with Sinner's focus at Halle, yes he had to win some matches in 3 sets, he also faced some big hitters eg Struff
I am delighted with his preparation for Wimbledon this year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Note @rafanoy1992's comment above about Hurkacz. Hubie took a set off of him last year, and is in better grass form this year. I think that could be the round Novak goes out, though I haven't finished my draw challenge yet.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Note @rafanoy1992's comment above about Hurkacz. Hubie took a set off of him last year, and is in better grass form this year. I think that could be the round Novak goes out, though I haven't finished my draw challenge yet.
I remember that match. It was very tough for Novak and they played over 2 days with curfew on the first night. Novak's return in that match was non existent, which helped Hubbie who was actually very close to win in first 2 sets and could have lead 2:0. Hope Novak plays better this time around, even if it doesn't look promising looking at his whole season plus the knee.

But, for some reason I'd be more afraid for Novak if he got a landmine early on in the draw like Berettini or Struff. I do think Rune in R4 is a big danger for Djokovic, but Hurkacz is no easy opponent too, I agree.

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember that match. It was very tough for Novak and they played over 2 days with curfew on the first night. Novak's return in that match was non existent, which helped Hubbie who was actually very close to win in first 2 sets and could have lead 2:0. Hope Novak plays better this time around, even if it doesn't look promising looking at his whole season plus the knee.

But, for some reason I'd be more afraid for Novak if he got a landmine early on in the draw like Berettini or Struff. I do think Rune in R4 is a big danger for Djokovic, but Hurkacz is no easy opponent too, I agree.
I think it'll be Khachanov and not Rune in R4 personally.

Reactions: don_fabio

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Gurl, don't make me cringe. This is the same guy who couldn't buy a return last year. Unless every set goes to a TB, what is his plan for knocking off the top 3 seeds (and a host of others)?