2024 French Open Final: Swiatek vs. Paolini

Who wins the slam?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Coco won the doubles . I always felt that she needed to get someone different from Jess . No offense to JP
No offense taken. I'll be honest and say Coco would have won a doubs slam if she had stayed w/ McNally or asked Townsend. Maybe she chose Jess because she wanted a partner who would be competing at all the WTA events as McNally would only play singles if she qualified.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No offense taken. I'll be honest and say Coco would have won a doubs slam if she had stayed w/ McNally or asked Townsend. Maybe she chose Jess because she wanted a partner who would be competing at all the WTA events as McNally would only play singles if she qualified.
I felt she could have won with Taylor Townsend.. seem like it was a decent final and congratulations to the Italians, that team had a good run especially Miss baby face Jasmine. She.made a great name for herself..

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
According to Navratilova Jas will not win a game..we know these oldies have a little bit of bigotry that manifests in these situations.That little evil goblin hiding in their body.
What bigotry? Where does this belief come from as to these "oldies"?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Happy for Iga (can she win another few of these?) as well as for Jasmine--she played beautifully all fortnight.

Reactions: kskate2

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Martina Navratilova is the greatest player in the history of women's tennis. I'll trust her word over any of you all in here.

(It's not like she was totally wrong. Paolini won like one game after that, and that was a hold at 0-5 in the 2nd set.)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
John Wertheim had a chance to ask Amelie Mauresmo, Tournament Director about the absence of women's matches at the night session's
Her response,
" It is not (about ) quality.It is all about length".
Translation,
We cannot charge for a separate session and have Iga win 61 61 in under an hour
And although I do not want to open a can of worms unnecessarily, it is for this reason that I have never believed that equal prize money is appropriate in tennis as to the four majors. This is not to say that ladies on the court are not as exciting as the man. Sometimes there are even more exciting, depending on the match up. But the men have to play longer than the women do in terms of match length potentiality. I can understand that women receiving something on the order of say 60% or 75% what the men receive merely because they have historically chosen to play best of three sets in major events just like they play in every other event during the year, whereas the men have historically played best of five sets when it comes to the majors. To me, there should be a difference in pay and there should be a difference in how they schedule, as I completely agree with what you say above, Margaret. Now, in all of the other events in the year? Absolutely – – they should be the same because the men are playing the same amounts of sets (best of three) as the women are playing. No problem there. If the women on the tour wish to adopt the same best of five as the men, then everything will be equal all way through, all year-long.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
And although I do not want to open a can of worms unnecessarily, it is for this reason that I have never believed that equal prize money is appropriate in tennis as to the four majors. This is not to say that ladies on the court are not as exciting as the man. Sometimes there are even more exciting, depending on the match up. But the men have to play longer than the women do in terms of match length potentiality. I can understand that women receiving something on the order of say 60% or 75% what the men receive merely because they have historically chosen to play best of three sets in major events just like they play in every other event during the year, whereas the men have historically played best of five sets when it comes to the majors. To me, there should be a difference in pay and there should be a difference in how they schedule, as I completely agree with what you say above, Margaret. Now, in all of the other events in the year? Absolutely – – they should be the same because the men are playing the same amounts of sets (best of three) as the women are playing. No problem there. If the women on the tour wish to adopt the same best of five as the men, then everything will be equal all way through, all year-long.
I think the best way to solve the problem is to adopt a standardized alternate days schedule for Week 2 of all slams:

Sunday - Women's R16 (4 day, 4 night)
Monday - Men's R16 (4 day, 4 night)
Tuesday - Women's QF (2 day, 2 night)
Wednesday - Men's QF (2 day, 2 night)
Thursday - Women's SF (1 day, 1 night)
Friday - Men's SF (1 day, 1 night)
Saturday - Women's Final
Sunday - Men's Final

In this scenario, you're guaranteed 7 women's night matches, and each player gets a day rest in between matches.

(Plus, I'd be able to post the polls for both SF's on Tuesday after the QF's are done. I really hate Women's QF matches on Wednesday.)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I felt she could have won with Taylor Townsend.. seem like it was a decent final and congratulations to the Italians, that team had a good run especially Miss baby face Jasmine. She.made a great name for herself..
Townsend was injured with an ankle problem she withdrew from RG, Coco was going to play with Jess, though Jess ongoing neck injury forced her to miss the whole clay season
From what I read Taylor was the one who suggested to Coco to get in contact with Siniakova as her partner also had an injury problem, Coco did and that is how Coco and Siniakova teamed up for doubles at RG,Siniakova is a proven GS doubles champion used to play with Barbora Krejikova

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we had once a post at TF about women equal prize money and playing 5 sets at GS tournaments,
It is all about bums on seats at tournaments and the amount of money any tournament can bring in, which I totally understand., also the tennis players men or women that are playing in the tournament that will attract fans to pay to see them.
I personally have no problem with woman playing best of 5 at GS level, and they are fit enough to play, there has been arguments that womens tennis is boring and mens tennis is more exciting, which causes me to raise my eyebrows.
In the current womens game, which has great depth may I say, we have had some wonderful matches and finals, eg Madrid Swiatek v Sabalenka which to date remains my favorite final so far this year.I also remember the days when the Williams sisters would pack out any stadium at a tournament, and may I add even today when Venus Williams plays, she still brings in fans. I also think the womens game is still in transition stage since Serena Williams retired.
Quite frankly a tournament director could put on a womens night match along with a mens match, eg put the ladies match on first, then a mens match, this does happen at other GS tournaments.
I agree with your thoughts about the womens tour adopting the idea playing the best of 5 at GS tournaments, at the end of the day it is up to the CEO of the WTA to put this notion to the players of playing best of 5 at GS level, presently I cannot see that happening, as there has been changes at the top of the WTA, though we do have a new CEO which happens to be a women,she is yet to take up the new position.

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnbm

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we had once a post at TF about women equal prize money and playing 5 sets at GS tournaments,
It is all about bums on seats at tournaments and the amount of money any tournament can bring in, which I totally understand., also the tennis players men or women that are playing in the tournament that will attract fans to pay to see them.
I personally have no problem with woman playing best of 5 at GS level, and they are fit enough to play, there has been arguments that womens tennis is boring and mens tennis is more exciting, which causes me to raise my eyebrows.
In the current womens game, which has great depth may I say, we have had some wonderful matches and finals, eg Madrid Swiatek v Sabalenka which to date remains my favorite final so far this year.I also remember the days when the Williams sisters would pack out any stadium at a tournament, and may I add even today when Venus Williams plays, she still brings in fans. I also think the womens game is still in transition stage since Serena Williams retired.
Quite frankly a tournament director could put on a womens night match along with a mens match, eg put the ladies match on first, then a mens match, this does happen at other GS tournaments.
I agree with your thoughts about the womens tour adopting the idea playing the best of 5 at GS tournaments, at the end of the day it is up to the CEO of the WTA to put this notion to the players of playing best of 5 at GS level, presently I cannot see that happening, as there has been changes at the top of the WTA, though we do have a new CEO which happens to be a women,she is yet to take up the new position.
Interesting you mentioned the new CEO. A very close good friend of mine recently stated that her friend was promoted to that CEO position with the WTA. Small world!

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The womens finals Swiatek v Paolini was the least watched French Open final in history in the US with 756,000 viewers.
Last years womens final had 1.04 million viewers