2024 French Open Final: Swiatek vs. Paolini

Who wins the slam?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
After winning that WTA1000 title this year, Jazz has improved out of sight, she has the variety in her game,being small in stature in ways does not go against her, yes if she was taller her serve would be better, she likes to play aggressive and takes the ball on early
Jazz is also in the doubles QF as well, she is having a wonderful tournament
I really dont know what her game plan against Iga will be. She doesnt have the weapons to put stress on Iga's game. IMO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I really dont know what her game plan against Iga will be. She doesnt have the weapons to put stress on Iga's game. IMO
Well the thing with Iga is you have to try to break her rhythm, Jazz will have to use her variety giving Iga different balls, pace and slices, I know that will be an uphill battle
Iga is soo hard to beat and she is clutch on BPs on clay
Anyway it should be a fun final, Jazz has nothing to lose, while Iga has a lot to lose in ways
I am still picking Iga to win, I said that from the start of the tournament, she has won Madrid Rome and now is into her 3rd RG final
The last player to win the big 3 in the same year was Serena Williams, so Iga has the chance to tie with that record

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well the thing with Iga is you have to try to break her rhythm, Jazz will have to use her variety giving Iga different balls, pace and slices, I know that will be an uphill battle
Iga is soo hard to beat and she is clutch on BPs on clay
Anyway it should be a fun final, Jazz has nothing to lose, while Iga has a lot to lose in ways
I am still picking Iga to win, I said that from the start of the tournament, she has won Madrid Rome and now is into her 3rd RG final
The last player to win the big 3 in the same year was Serena Williams, so Iga has the chance to tie with that record
I like Baby face's game. I hope she doesn't get bageled or breadstick on Saturday.

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I would not dismiss Jasmine, remember who ever plays Iga in the final, it will be a battle to start with, Iga is soo tough on this surface clay
Iga has won Madrid Rome and is going for her 3rd title at RG, I think that says a lot about how well Iga plays on this surface dosent it?
BTW the last player to win Madrid, Rome and RG in the same year was Serena Williams
BTW Iga is a 'baby Rafaesque' 34-2 at Roland Garros, :)
I wouldn't dismiss her either. Out of the 8 QFinalists, she and Iga were the only natural clay courters. She slides and moves very well on the dirt. I'll tell you one other thing, her coach will have her ready w/ a gameplan to attack Iga. Will it work, who knows, but she will be prepared as she has been for her previous 6 matches.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wouldn't dismiss her either. Out of the 8 QFinalists, she and Iga were the only natural clay courters. She slides and moves very well on the dirt. I'll tell you one other thing, her coach will have her ready w/ a gameplan to attack Iga. Will it work, who knows, but she will be prepared as she has been for her previous 6 matches.
I have a feeling that Jasmine is going to stun Iga..[wishful thinking]

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well at least Coco doesnt have to deal with seeing Iga before the finals of a tournament anytime soon. I'm surprised that she didnt come out with a game plan similar to Oska's play last week.
Game plan? What game plan? All these people do is whack away hoping the other player misses eventually! It's monotonously unentertaining! :yawningface:

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Game plan? What game plan? All these people do is whack away hoping the other player misses eventually! It's monotonously unentertaining! :yawningface:
Do your self a favor and us by not commenting on the currents womens game, as you dont watch the current womens game!
"Monotonusly unenteraining" dont make me laugh? this is based on what present players may I ask? Ignorance is Bliss!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I must admit I never watched Paolini much before checking out highlights of her last match and she was never as good till recently (lost me some tiny bets too lol) but, wow, she's got seriously good power in her forehand for a tiny 5' 4" woman. Very impressive. One comment on YouTube correctly said her forehand power is almost like the men's. Relatively speaking of course 'cos there really aren't so many female players who genuinely hit that hard.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Swiatek hates being rushed and aggressive players who boss her around are the ones who beat her. The game plan is easy to visualize but difficult to maintain for the necessary amount of time to win 2 sets against her. Best of luck to her. A new slam champion would be great to see. An Italian hard hitting (way smaller than even Barty) munchkin. Hard to believe Paolini is 28. She looks about 15.

• Love

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ladies Singles Final
Saturday 8th June,

Iga Swiatek (1) vs Jasmine Paolini (12) H2H Swiatek 2-0

Iga Swiatek is pkaying to win her 5th Grand Slam title and her fourth RG title and her 3rd consecutive in Paris.
Iga is the 3rd player since 2000 to make 3 consecutive RG singles finals joining Henin (2005-2007) and Sharapova (2012-2014)
Iga this year has won Madrid and Rome and Iga could become the first player since Serena Williams (2013) to win the biggest clay court titles in a single season.
Since facing down a MP against Osaka in round 2, Iga has not come close to losing a set.
Iga goes into Saturday with a 21-4 career records in finals. Iga hasnt lost one in over a year, she has won her last 8, impressive the last 5 were against Top 10 opponents.
Iga has a 34-2 at RG, matching Chris Evert's mark through their first 36 matches here.

Jasmine Paolini,
Jasmine is playing the best tennis of her career in 2024.
Jasmine won a single title, Portoroz in 2021, but broke through big time with a win in Dubai WTA1000 title and now is in the final at RG
Jasmine and her doubles partner Sara Errani have also reached the final of the Ladies Doubles final, what a tournament Jasmine is having!
On Monday when the new WTA rankings coome out, Jasmine will be No 7, a win will push her to No 5.
Jasmine has quietlu gone about her business defeating Andresscu, Avanesyan and the No 4 seed Elena Rybakina in 3 sets.
On her SF match against Andreeva she played a flawless match, winning in straight sets., in Madrid Jasmine lost to Andreeva on straight sets
When winning the first set this year Jasmine has yet to lose.
If Paolini wins the title on Saturday she will be Italy's champion since Pennetta in 2015 who won the USO and at RG when Francesca Schiavone in 2010
Paolini Forza!

Good luck to both players and hoping for a competitive final!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a feeling that Jasmine is going to stun Iga..[wishful thinking]
It would be great for the game if she could pull off the upset
I must admit I never watched Paolini much before checking out highlights of her last match and she was never as good till recently (lost me some tiny bets too lol) but, wow, she's got seriously good power in her forehand for a tiny 5' 4" woman. Very impressive. One comment on YouTube correctly said her forehand power is almost like the men's. Relatively speaking of course 'cos there really aren't so many female players who genuinely hit that hard.
Paolini has a very beautiful game at times to watch. Yes, she has nice power for being a small player but she is very fundamental sound. Just watch her service toss and trophy hand up high with a still head. Coco and team needs to take note. I'm concerned because we have seen so many ladies finals that aren't very good or competitive matches. Let's pull for the underdog to play above her head so she can have a chance on Saturday to be a French Open ladies champion.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I first saw Jaz at the Prague Open in 2018. I remember asking Baron if he had ever seen her play. I've been following her career ever since and I'm extremely happy that she's finally coming into her own, mentally, physically and most importantly in belief.

If you haven't seen her, try to watch a few minutes of Jasmine Paolini's match tomorrow. She is a combo of Kasatkina/Bertens/Siegemund on clay. She is very good from the ground and appears quite feisty.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll be rooting for the underdog too. I want to see a match, not another final to forget. I literally have no idea how Paolini plays, just seen her on some highlights when she won a Masters this spring and that's about it.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
According to Navratilova Jas will not win a game..we know these oldies have a little bit of bigotry that manifests in these situations.That little evil goblin hiding in their body.

• Wow

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Watching this match on mute because the putdowns are ridiculous.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Pova 2.0 won a total of 10 points in her doub bakery loss. Jaz already surpassed that in the first 3 games

Reactions: tossip