Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Ginny….is that you ??!!!! ; )

I borrowed some of Wade's technique on the serve and sliced BH approach shot! I picked up a lot of good tactical play by watching the women; Court, BJK, Wade, Goolagong, & of course Navratilova! Back then with the men, it was all about "serve/volley" aside from Borg! Even Connors played outside his comfort zone venturing into the net a lot more than usual! The other baseliners of the time were useless except on clay; The Bagel Twins (Solomon & Dibbs), Vilas, Higueras, Orantes, & others! The USO, Forest Hills going to Har-Tru in '75 gave the advantage to Euro's & So. Americans! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy::fearful-face:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Feliciano Lopez is the only person who ever lived to have an ugly one handed backhand. Not even Karlovic has one. A creature called "Mongo" from a 1937 horror movie played tennis and had a pretty one-handed BH.

Why? Not enough wind-up for you? You one-hand cultists are too much. One would think that a shot that's becoming rarer than hen's teeth being effective would be enough. But no...it also has to be "pretty," in your opinion. It's not a beauty pageant, as has been recently stated.

Reactions: Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I borrowed some of Wade's technique on the serve and sliced BH approach shot! I picked up a lot of good tactical play by watching the women; Court, BJK, Wade, Goolagong, & of course Navratilova! Back then with the men, it was all about "serve/volley" aside from Borg! Even Connors played outside his comfort zone venturing into the net a lot more than usual! The other baseliners of the time were useless except on clay; The Bagel Twins (Solomon & Dibbs), Vilas, Higueras, Orantes, & others! The USO, Forest Hills going to Har-Tru in '75 gave the advantage to Euro's & So. Americans! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy::fearful-face:
OMG the Bagel Twins, smallish ( did either ever reach 5’-7” in height ? ), scrappy Americans who did far better on clay, they were able to get to the qtrs & 1 SF between them on the USO hard tru days.

Tiny Harold Solomon with his crazy moonballs & weird FH ( extreme western) and “Fast Eddie” Dibbs scrambling around the court, they made counterpunchers look agressive in comparison. I swear Chris Evert hit harder than Harold Solomon.

Solomon was good enough to make it to the finals of the French Open one year and played Adriano Panetta. Oh my. The tennis press cruelly referred to it as the match between “the Antelope and the Armadillo”, that was cold !!

Ive heard one or the other actually coined the phrase “bagel” for a love set or is that just an urban legend?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran and Fiero425

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

Why? Not enough wind-up for you? You one-hand cultists are too much. One would think that a shot that's becoming rarer than hen's teeth being effective would be enough. But no...it also has to be "pretty," in your opinion. It's not a beauty pageant, as has been recently stated.

That shot was a winner, yes. But his movement is... well, the opposite of something that naturally flows. Thanks for the vivid example.

For sure it is not a beauty pageant. That's too tacky.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Connors SW19 victory over McEnroe I think was his best victory. McEnroe knows he let that one slip.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yep. And I reckon if you miss one, there’s a reason why you miss the second. Can’t imagine any clean athlete missing the first one and not being there an hour early for the second, even if they get only 3 minutes notice…
I actually thought that if you missed even one, it's considered the same as a failed one, and you could get suspended for it.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Chris Eubanks has been added to the main draw of the Alanta Open

Good to see Leo Borg get his first ATP win on clay, a moment he will never forget, I bet his proud dad Bjorn will be proud as punch as well.
Borg d Ymer 76(5) 63

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He was outlasting guys he had no business beating last year in deciding sets and basically came out of nowhere.
I know you like a bit of a doping scandal, but I don't know that it's fair to say that he "came out of nowhere." @El Dude has had him on the radar for years as a "promising youngster."

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I know you like a bit of a doping scandal, but I don't know that it's fair to say that he "came out of nowhere." @El Dude has had him on the radar for years as a "promising youngster."
He hadn't done anything of note till last year though and then promptly busted. His good results all happened last year.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He hadn't done anything of note till last year though and then promptly busted. His good results all happened last year.
He beat Alcaraz in 2021. Also, look at his rankings history. Nothing really jumps out.

I'm not saying that there's nothing concerning about missing 3 drug checks out of competition, but you love to jump to conclusions on the doping stuff, and, with doping, there is usually a spike. I don't think there is one. You're over-stating his results last year, and ignoring the year before. Also ignoring that he's 24 and due to come onto form, especially since he was pegged early as one with promise. You're welcome to be alarmist, but I don't see alarm bells in these results.

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.