2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not saying Alcaraz isn't going to win anything again (if you ask me right now, I would say he will win several more slams), but you just never know. Nothing is ever guaranteed in tennis, and things have a funny way of changing drastically in such short order. If you don't believe me, look at how the career trajectories of Hewitt and Federer changed between Wimbledon 2002 and the end of 2004. I'm not saying that will happen with Alcaraz and Rune, but it can certainly happen.
Listen, I mentioned Charley and Hewitt in the same sentence several months ago when he blew up at the USO. I said it’s possible that Alcaraz is like Hewitt as an interim champ of a few slams. But you’re talking up Tiafoe very confidently based upon little or nothing, so using that same criteria you ought to be very confident about Alcaraz, who actually is a champion, no?

Personally speaking, Alcaraz is clearly one of the greatest 20 year olds in the games history, but saying this was never a guarantee that he’ll also be the best 30 year old too. However, he still shows nothing but promise. Sure, he had that massive speed bump in Paris, and I think that’s given him a lot to think about, but wasn’t he hugely impressive in London? This shows a remarkable talent, both technical and mental, for competition. He showed he’s still on a positive trajectory. I don’t think anyone should be touting him as anything other than what he is, which is currently the only rival to Novak, which is a similar place Rafa was in 18 years ago..

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The one thing i hear often others say about 20/21 year olds is that they have plenty of time.
Yes and No. IMO it’s never too early.

You take your opportunity when it presents itself. That may be your best shot ever.

In hindsight, Ask Michael Chang, Andy Roddick, Carlos Moya, & Juan Martin Del Potro if they won too young.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The one thing i hear often others say about 20/21 year olds is that they have plenty of time.
Yes and No. IMO it’s never too early.

You take your opportunity when it presents itself. That may be your best shot ever.

In hindsight, Ask Michael Chang, Andy Roddick, Carlos Moya, & Juan Martin Del Potro if they won too young.

I guess we can put Sampras on the list since he still went thru growing pains after taking that 1990 USO! It took years to finally get to #1 & still only held that one major in April '93 when it finally occurred! The New Gen. from The US was making all kinds of noise about #1 ranking & DC Captaincy!

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
You just never know in tennis. I know this sounds crazy, but Mats Wilander had 7 slams at 23/24 after winning the AO, FO, and US Open in 1988, and he suddenly stopped winning after that. To put that into today's perspective, imagine if Rafa just suddenly stopped winning after the 2009 Australian Open.

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
GREAT series by Steve Tiger on Tennis.com called: GOAT Race is our 10-part look back at the times when the Grand Slam title chase might have gone a different way. It recalls how, but for one or two shots, a slam would have gone in the other direction. Some might label it "woulda coulda", but I think it underscores that the GOAT among the three recent greats is a bit arbitrary given how close many matches were. As I've said before, if Roger had made on of those match points in Wimbledon '19, would that really change his status as a great? I don't think so.......

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Watching Feli Lopez match at the Mallorca Tournament his last tournament before he finally retires
Rafa, his wife Mery and Toni Nadal, Carlos Moyer are there watching as well.
Feli playing Aussie Max Purcell, Feli won 1st set 64, 5 all 2nd set
Feli broke serve with a great lob and will serve for the match 6-5
Feli wins to play another day 64 75!

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GREAT series by Steve Tiger on Tennis.com called: GOAT Race is our 10-part look back at the times when the Grand Slam title chase might have gone a different way. It recalls how, but for one or two shots, a slam would have gone in the other direction. Some might label it "woulda coulda", but I think it underscores that the GOAT among the three recent greats is a bit arbitrary given how close many matches were. As I've said before, if Roger had made on of those match points in Wimbledon '19, would that really change his status as a great? I don't think so.......
It won't change his status as an all time great, but we can't really answer final career numbers. No one knows how winning that MP point would have changed the course of a player's schedule and thus their future results. It's all hypothetical

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Watching Feli Lopez match at the Mallorca Tournament his last tournament before he finally retires
Rafa, his wife Mery and Toni Nadal, Carlos Moyer are there watching as well.
Feli playing Aussie Max Purcell, Feli won 1st set 64, 5 all 2nd set
Feli broke serve with a great lob and will serve for the match 6-5
Feli wins to play another day 64 75!
Da GOAT Nadal is there..I hope he add Feli to his staffing

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
It won't change his status as an all time great, but we can't really answer final career numbers. No one knows how winning that MP point would have changed the course of a player's schedule and thus their future results. It's all hypothetical
Well in the case I've cited it was a final so it wouldn't have changed anyone's schedule. But the more important thing is---I don't think one or two shots changes anyone's status as a great. Of course it's all hypothetical---if you read the article--that's the entire point :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not bleak, but realistic.

When players retire it is the end of an era and they are no longer as relevant. It happened to Pancho Gonzalez, it happened to Laver, to Borg, it happened to Sampras and it just happened to Federer. And it will happen sooner than later to Nadal & Djokovic.
Well, their resumes become fixed, so not AS relevant, but hell, we still talk about all of those guys around here.
Of course the era of Alcaraz/Rune & company will be exciting in its own way. My response was a reaction to Fiero complaining that Fedalovic takes up all the air in tennis discussions. Its been an exceptionally long run but its simply the nature of sports talk that it *will* fade.
I get your point, but it's going to take a long time to fade, IMO. :lol6: :popcorn

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, their resumes become fixed, so not AS relevant, but hell, we still talk about all of those guys around here.

I get your point, but it's going to take a long time to fade, IMO. :lol6: :popcorn
Didn’t we say the same thing about Pistol Pete? ; )

All im saying is if ONE great champhion instead of three per the current era emerges, someone else getting 20+ slams is plausible.

And of course IIRC Federer was just 5 or 6 slams into his Slam career when the GOAT buzz started around him…

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didn’t we say the same thing about Pistol Pete? ; )
Yes, but we still talk about him.
All im saying is if ONE great champhion instead of three per the current era emerges, someone else getting 20+ slams is plausible.

And of course IIRC Federer was just 5 or 6 slams into his Slam career when the GOAT buzz started around him…
I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse about your point...it's not deliberate. Is it that GOAT debate for the next ones, is too soon? Or that they can get there, if there's just one? Or that we're going to stop talking about the Big 3 as soon as they retire? Again, I'm sorry that I'm missing the point.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not pushing him out the door, but with Feli officially retiring this week i just realized the next veteran Spaniard standing and oldest ranked player is Fernando Verdasco who turns 40 this fall, at the monent he’s ranked in the mid 300’s.

Just sayin’ ; )

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is how you play against Novak's game.. Attack, attack and make the point uncomfortable. Waiting for Novak's game to make an UFE is like waiting for Donald Trump to apologize.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I watch the new tennis episodes on Netflix featuring Tiafoe..I will give him credit he has put in yeoman work in the gym and on his fitness..Wayne Ferrera is doing a fantastic job with him.. someone told me years ago that I am going have to accept Tiafoe's style of play because it's who he is..One day I will..one day

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas slump continues. Lost just now to Hanfmann in Mallorca.

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.