2020 French Open SF: Novak Djokovic vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I am not a fan of the Greek.
But he played fantastic, and did not deserve to lose with injury.
He obviously is injured.

Novak-Nadal F in Paris, still great of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fiero425

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
This is really great from Novak, and I don’t mean the win.
He recognised his opponent is injured, no screaming, no fistpumping, no celebrating.
A classact.

What I like is how focused he was even after the desaster at the and of 3rd and 4th set, he accepted the need to dig deep because of the quality of his opponent.
Chapeau!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is crazy. I expected youngster to be physically fit in the 5th. But, he is physically going away in the 5th.
I don't know what's wrong with these youngsters physique. They all seem to be too tired way too soon. Even Thiem now in RG in his prime years should feel hungry and full of energy but nothing, ok he won USO but still lost because he was mentally and phisically tired here in RG, same Tsitsipas now.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is really great from Novak, and I don’t mean the win.
He recognised his opponent is injured, no screaming, no fistpumping, no celebrating.
A classact.

What I like is how focused he was even after the desaster at the and of 3rd and 4th set, he accepted the need to dig deep because of the quality of his opponent.
Chapeau!

Yap, very focused and this was visible also against Busta. No meltdowns, just kept pushing and playing. I am very pleased with his level and feel he has a real chance in the final. Maybe this RG is ment to be for him?

Reactions: Bonaca

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kudos to Tsitsipas for not going away in easy 3 sets and amazing fight in 4th set saving all those break points, he was in the zone there, Novak could do nothing.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know what's wrong with these youngsters physique. They all seem to be too tired way too soon. Even Thiem now in RG in his prime years should feel hungry and full of energy but nothing, ok he won USO but still lost because he was mentally and physically tired here in RG, same Tsitsipas now.

This is where Rafa and Novak are still heads and shoulders above the young'uns. I don't think it's because Nadal/Novak train that much more than the younger players, or even conditioning. it's simply their exceptional mindset doesn't allow for as many dips so many of the other players experience in tough tight matches in the big stages of a Major..

Tsitsipas is an incredibly gifted player, some of his shots just "sing". That is not enough to win at this level at a Major versus the very best.
That's why I get so tired hearing about innate "natural" talent (calling so many Federer fans), that doesn't compensate for not having mental toughness, that is the hardest skill to acquire and maintain.

If you're not fresh mentally you feel more physically, your breathing, movement shows your tightness and your body struggles more. When I play tight (and I'm choking!) my body feels so much slower to react. Mental fatigue begets physical fatigue.

Novak buckled down in the 5th set , whereas Tsitsipas mentally couldn't keep it focused . Doesn't mean Novak doesn't have dips mentally (he's human!) but to maintain this high level so long, that is the most important "natural talent" of all.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is where Rafa and Novak are still heads and shoulders above the young'uns. I don't think it's because Nadal/Novak train that much more than the younger players, or even conditioning. it's simply their exceptional mindset doesn't allow for as many dips so many of the other players experience in tough tight matches in the big stages of a Major..

Tsitsipas is an incredibly gifted player, some of his shots just "sing". That is not enough to win at this level at a Major versus the very best.
That's why I get so tired hearing about innate "natural" talent (calling so many Federer fans), that doesn't compensate for not having mental toughness, that is the hardest skill to acquire and maintain.

If you're not fresh mentally you feel more physically, your breathing, movement shows your tightness and your body struggles more. When I play tight (and I'm choking!) my body feels so much slower to react. Mental fatigue begets physical fatigue.

Novak buckled down in the 5th set , whereas Tsitsipas mentally couldn't keep it focused . Doesn't mean Novak doesn't have dips mentally (he's human!) but to maintain this high level so long, that is the most important "natural talent" of all.
I haven't seen any of these youngsters showing some remarkable mental toughness. Will they get there remains to be seen. USO 19, AO20, this match now, all good examples of what you said in your post.

It's amazing to watch how the big 3 manage their mental and physical level through the long matches. One of the examples also last year Wimbledon final, that match was great in so many ways and that was the first thing Ljubicic mentioned when he was interviewed after in Umag (he came there as a guest) how these 2 players managed their level throughout the whole match and that makes it so great apart from the score.

Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep they dont make themlike they used to :)
The only way they will learn is to be extended say in a 5 set match,keep fully focused,you can obtain mental toughness by winning a tight battle,even in a best of three sets.
My idol Borg was not called 'The Ice Man' for nothing.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yep they dont make themlike they used to :)
The only way they will learn is to be extended say in a 5 set match,keep fully focused,you can obtain mental toughness by winning a tight battle,even in a best of three sets.
My idol Borg was not called 'The Ice Man' for nothing.

Borg was virtually inhuman, unflappable. Still has the record for least amount of games lost at Roland Garos for a fortnight. Yet again, when he "retired" it wasn't physical fatigue but Borg admitted to being burnt out mentally, simply needed a break.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Borg was virtually inhuman, unflappable. Still has the record for least amount of games lost at Roland Garos for a fortnight. Yet again, when he "retired" it wasn't physical fatigue but Borg admitted to being burnt out mentally, simply needed a break.

I still cannot understand at age 25 he retired,indeed he said he was burnt out mentally,we will not talk about his comeback's okay:)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

He asked the tour for a couple month break and they 'gave him the finger!' Borg showed them and retired during the YEC Masters in '81! :face-with-head-bandage:

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who thought it would go 5 sets? Congrats! It shouldn't have happened though! :face-with-head-bandage:
Actually, I did...except I picked the wrong winner. Thanks all for the live commentary, as I was not able to watch today.