2020 French Open Final: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Haha. I'm not falling for that okidoke. You didn't come back for me. You came back today because Nads laid a smackdown on Djoke. But regardless of the reason, I'm glad to see ya. :yesyes:

You're very kind. It was a smackdown, but it was a dogfight too. Leaving aside their usual tardiness in beginning a rally, it was still a long enough match, considering the score. 2'41", with some stellar arguments made in the rally. Some of the beautiful rallies in today's match involved very angular crosscourt exchanges. There was one early on where Novak's forehand created the angle, and Rafa's backhand sharpened it. They really tore into each other, but Rafa was on his patch and playing his best, and seemed very grimly determined, even when he dropped serve in the third, he didn't really blink..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ralph should play Bercy and WTF.

In a normal year, by this time Ralph would be tired and will lose to even third rate players. But, this year is an exception. He has barely played five tourneys in the whole year and so should be fresh still.

I understand that his chances of winning either one may not be high. But, if you are not in it, you cannot win it. These are tourneys which he has never won and if he happened to win either of them, it would be nice addition.

I agree, brother, I think he's fresh and his only reason for skipping them might be his concern he mentioned about quarantines, Covid etc. But let's face it, they have all the privilege in the world, they can easily isolate themselves. I think his chances in London would be greater than Paris Bercy, but I think he should play them...

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Do you see mention of serve in Jimmy's post? Do you see him say what you claim he said?

I saw imjimmy say this about Tsitsipas: "His breakpoint conversion was 0 of 11." Those were his words, not mine. And that serves to reinforce my point that Djokovic's issues on serve have been occurring against more players than just Nadal.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
You're very kind. It was a smackdown, but it was a dogfight too. Leaving aside their usual tardiness in beginning a rally, it was still a long enough match, considering the score. 2'41", with some stellar arguments made in the rally. Some of the beautiful rallies in today's match involved very angular crosscourt exchanges. There was one early on where Novak's forehand created the angle, and Rafa's backhand sharpened it. They really tore into each other, but Rafa was on his patch and playing his best, and seemed very grimly determined, even when he dropped serve in the third, he didn't really blink..
Thanks. I haven't seen either final this weekend. Will catch the replay on TTC while I have access to it.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks. I haven't seen either final this weekend. Will catch the replay on TTC while I have access to it.
I missed the ladies - I was hoping Kenin would win it from the off, after her lousy experience in Rome, but I was glad for either of them to win. I like seeing fresh faces on the podium - and yes, would welcome that in the men's too, at the expense of the Big 3...

Reactions: Moxie

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Instead of squabbling let's give credit to Nadal where it's due. How many of us would have though Nadal would get to 20 slams (and counting) and still be playing at 34 years. I recall brokenshoelace once saying that he would never win a UsOpen - he's won 4 since then.

One of my favorite article of Nadal on clay was written last year. But it is equally valid today in saying that Nadal has gone beyond greatness in Paris.

""It may seem routine to all who saw it coming and who knew better than to expect any other outcome. But when Rafael Nadal stops winning Roland Garros titles one day in the not too distant future we will all look back in awe, the realization that his simple and sublime quest has yielded the greatest achievement of the greatest era of men’s tennis.

Those beads of sweat that colored the fabled clay of Court Philippe Chatrier, they’ll forever be a part of the fabric of Nadal’s magic in Paris. An improbable feat managed with the most humble of origins. When he’s gone, replaced no doubt by a statue, we’ll know where to find the true essence of Nadal: in he terre battue, trampled beneath the feet of future generations, who will endeavor but never match what he’s accomplished.""

It might not last long, and we don't know if he will win any more, but let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Instead of squabbling let's give credit to Nadal where it's due. How many of us would have though Nadal would get to 20 slams (and counting) and still be playing at 34 years. I recall brokenshoelace once saying that he would never win a UsOpen - he's won 4 since then.

One of my favorite article of Nadal on clay was written last year. But it is equally valid today in saying that Nadal has gone beyond greatness in Paris.

""It may seem routine to all who saw it coming and who knew better than to expect any other outcome. But when Rafael Nadal stops winning Roland Garros titles one day in the not too distant future we will all look back in awe, the realization that his simple and sublime quest has yielded the greatest achievement of the greatest era of men’s tennis.

Those beads of sweat that colored the fabled clay of Court Philippe Chatrier, they’ll forever be a part of the fabric of Nadal’s magic in Paris. An improbable feat managed with the most humble of origins. When he’s gone, replaced no doubt by a statue, we’ll know where to find the true essence of Nadal: in he terre battue, trampled beneath the feet of future generations, who will endeavor but never match what he’s accomplished.""

It might not last long, and we don't know if he will win any more, but let's enjoy it while it lasts.

It's a great article, thanks! I love this bit, too:

This victory in Paris—every victory in Paris—is not about being the best or the best ever. It’s not about chasing history or keeping up with his fellow greats. For Nadal it’s about being the best that he can be. It’s about honoring his potential and building the biggest, baddest, most impervious and highly focused Rafa, one that can rise from the ashes of a worrying April against what he perceives to be insurmountable odds to shine in June.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
It's a great article, thanks! I love this bit, too:

This victory in Paris—every victory in Paris—is not about being the best or the best ever. It’s not about chasing history or keeping up with his fellow greats. For Nadal it’s about being the best that he can be. It’s about honoring his potential and building the biggest, baddest, most impervious and highly focused Rafa, one that can rise from the ashes of a worrying April against what he perceives to be insurmountable odds to shine in June.

Absolutely. He just keeps fighting and working hard. Would you have ever thought in 2009 (injury time) or 2015/2016 (slump) that Nadal would ever get to 20 slams. It's unbelievable.

It's crazy to think that Iga, the women's champion, was 4 years old when Nadal won his first trophy in Paris. Now, 15 years later, he is still the champion.

Also It's great to see you back Kieran after a long time. And we hope that once you go away again, the hiatus won't be as long as it was this time.
Hopefully the other Nadal fans ( Brokenshoelace, huntingyou.....) all enjoyed this win.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All I know I will savor every single moment of this until he potentially wins number 21 in 2021! I vividly remembered when he lost that 2007 Wimbledon, he was visibly distraught and he wanted to cry during the trophy presentation. The following year he won Wimbledon in which at that point his biggest accomplishment. Then those 3 brutal losses at AO Final (2012, 2014 and 2017) really could have altered his confidence and chances of catching Federer's count, but he preserved and work his way back to the top! Now, he has finally caught up to Federer in the slam count and successfully fended off Djokovic on getting close to his own slam count.

2021 will be the first year in Nadal's legendary career that he does not have to "chase" Federer anymore. He literally will have the freedom of knowing that if he wins another 7 slam matches, he will hold the most slam titles in Men's tennis history. And I still can't believe I am typing this right now....

tented

Administrator
Reactions
His serving in set 1 was poor admittedly but tbh with how far back Nadal stands he's returning most serves either way. I'm mostly of the opinion that Djokovic's game plan was just flat out crap. Way too many drop shots when they clearly weren't working most of the time for him and he kept on doing them and losing key points. Would he have fared better if his serving wasn't so bad? Definitely, but he was still going to lose. He tried absolutely no wide serve, approach the net to cut off the cross court return and putaway volley combos that I recall.

Well put.

And for those who think this was all about Novak’s serve, keep in mind that in the 2009 AO final, Federer won the second set 6-3, serving at 37%. It’s not all about serve.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Instead of squabbling let's give credit to Nadal where it's due. How many of us would have though Nadal would get to 20 slams (and counting) and still be playing at 34 years.

You can speak for yourself and others, but I never thought there was any merit to the Nadal durability concerns and I said so repeatedly. I often said he would be able to win French Opens and remain highly ranked into his 30’s.

People used to say that he played too physical a style to last, but I didn’t see how that was the case given that everyone has to cover the court and stomp around.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Crushing win for Nadal. I didn't think he had that much left in the tank and expected Djokovic to step up and take him.
I went to bed after the first set, predictions clearly put in their place.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well put.

And for those who think this was all about Novak’s serve, keep in mind that in the 2009 AO final, Federer won the second set 6-3, serving at 37%. It’s not all about serve.

Never said the serve was everything. I said it was important to serve a high percentage in the first set in order to set the tone and allow the other aspects of Djokovic’s game to get going.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bonaca said:
He will skip ATP Finals like he skipped US Open, knowing he most likely will not win.
He should also think about skipping AO 21 and use these 7 month to prepare for French Open 21 like he did this year.
Hope for upsets and disqualifications.
Would be damn smart.

Following this line of reasoning, it would be damn smart for Novak to skip the 2021 French Open.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominic Thiem pushed Djokovic to five sets at the AO. Tsitsipas pushed Djokovic to five sets at RG. It will not be easy for him, the younger players are making their move. Today’s match was huge in the slam race, next year it will be even more difficult.

Frankly Federer cannot be considered the goat with 4-10 and 6-11 slam record vs Djokodal. However Nadal is now 10-4 and 10-6 against Fedovic, he is truly the goat. And I think he has a couple more slams in him.:clap:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, it was @mrzz...he'll fess up. He wasn't completely alone. I think also @GameSetAndMath was in there. But Mrzz has had that on his "what's up for next year?" calendar for the last 3, I think.
Congrats to you and all Nadal fans MOX. Huge effort that he has won RG 13 times. If i had to pick a "fave" out of the two , then Nadal would be the one, as far as i'm concerned. Can't believe the scoreline and also the length it took to play three sets of uncompetitive tennis, though.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has there been another tournament since open tennis (1968) where the Mens and womens champions won the same GS without conceding a set of tennis?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
All I know I will savor every single moment of this until he potentially wins number 21 in 2021! I vividly remembered when he lost that 2007 Wimbledon, he was visibly distraught and he wanted to cry during the trophy presentation. The following year he won Wimbledon in which at that point his biggest accomplishment. Then those 3 brutal losses at AO Final (2012, 2014 and 2017) really could have altered his confidence and chances of catching Federer's count, but he preserved and work his way back to the top! Now, he has finally caught up to Federer in the slam count and successfully fended off Djokovic on getting close to his own slam count.

2021 will be the first year in Nadal's legendary career that he does not have to "chase" Federer anymore. He literally will have the freedom of knowing that if he wins another 7 slam matches, he will hold the most slam titles in Men's tennis history. And I still can't believe I am typing this right now....
Hunting You ..yes it would be nice to hear from that brother.. who knows maybe KS will send out a SOS or take the I-94 west to go find DarthFed.. Although we are polar opposites. I do miss engaging in competitive banter with him. Lord Kieran maybe we can get Elon Musk to lend us a spacecraft like the USS Enterprise team did for the search for Spock to find the ole Sith Lord.

Last edited:
  • Haha