Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Thiem in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a bad feeling about this match. :negative: If Thiem manages to win then I hope he goes all the way and ends up with the trophy. But hopefully RAFA will win and my doubts will be silenced.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thiem is playing well but watching Monfills how awful played against him tham match didn't tell me too much, I think Rafa will beat him in 3 sets or 4 as most

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem is playing well but watching Monfills how awful played against him tham match didn't tell me too much, I think Rafa will beat him in 3 sets or 4 as most
I do get the concern of other Rafa fans around here that, even though Rafa probably wins it, it could be a slug-fest and work Rafa too hard. I'd love it to be over in 3 or 4, but chances of 5 are great.

Reactions: Jelenafan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I need Rafa to drop this match so Nole will reacquire the #1 ranking if he can complete the deal and win #17! Hopefully eliminating Fed should be only a formality if both continue playing like this! :whistle:

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
If Thiem manages to win then I hope he goes all the way and ends up with the trophy.

That is unlikely to happen even if Thiem beats Nadal and then Wawrinka/Zverev. He will not get past Djokovic on this court.

Of all the players left in the draw, the only one who could potentially trouble Djokovic in the final is Stan Wawrinka. And even that is a big IF and would need Stan to be in peak Stanimal mode for 5 hours. The draw has been kind to Novak. Both players who could potentially trouble him (Medvedev, Wawrinka) were not in his half.

I don't see anyone else having success vs Novak on this court. He's also never failed to win the tournament, after reaching the SF of the AO and the trend is likely to continue this year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The only time these two played on hard courts, viz., USO quarterfinal of 2018, went to five sets. However, Thiem has improved a lot on hardcourts after that. For example, he beat Roger in IW finals and also in WTF in 2019. Both players first preference is clay courts. But, I think the amount by which the quality of their game goes down is larger for Rafa than for Thiem.

I am calling for upset here. Thiem in 4.

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The only time these two played on hard courts, viz., USO quarterfinal of 2018, went to five sets. However, Thiem has improved a lot on hardcourts after that. For example, he beat Roger in IW finals and also in WTF in 2019. Both players first preference is clay courts. But, I think the amount by which the quality of their game goes down is larger for Rafa than for Thiem.

I am calling for upset here. Thiem in 4.

I would not be shocked if Theim pulled off the upset. The slower courts give him a fraction of a second more to windup his lethal groundies and he stole time from Monfils in impressive fashion.

Having said that, based on the last 24 months of HC history, Theim has lost in the Early rounds of more than a few HC tournaments, so I’d question that his dip in quality on HC is Potentially less than Nadal. Indeed just this year alone Theim lost to both Hurkacz and Coric on HC prior to the AO.

Last edited:

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah is an interesting point, I think 99% of the Novak fans see it like that.
We talked about this already moxie, I mean it really, the h2h and potential wins of Novak against Nadal counts the most for me. That for, they have to play each other, whenever possible.
Federberg is right, the outcome off clay is not that interesting anymore. But on-clay is!
H to h doesn’t do nearly as much as holding top spot on the resume. I know that you want it because Djoker is a terrible matchup for Nadal especially on hardcourt, while it could be tricky with Thiem. More important than anything else to increase your slam count.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's so clear that Thiem believes he can win this. I don't understand anyone who isn't buying Thiem as improved and a legit contender at all slams now. The thing with him is that his level (particularly against the top guys) is so high now. The only thing he needs to work hard for is making sure he's in the mix at the business end of slams

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not watching but Nadal failing to serve out sets is becoming routine. It makes sense. Players don't hold their nerves as easily as they get older. This became very obvious with Roger over the years and Nadal is in that mold too.

As far as Thiem goes, I've said it before, he's got a better game than some of other overhyped players (cough*Kyrgios*cough) because he actually knows how to construct points and set up his best shot, the inside out forehand. That can't be underestimated. He's got the movement to back it up and he defends very well. The only thing that was missing from his game in the past was that despite a big serve, he's not dominant enough with it.

Reactions: Federberg

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
This is becoming harder and harder for Nadal.
Hope he steps up.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
It seems possible he will lose in a Slam QF, when happened that the last time?