Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thiem in three sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's all about the big picture. Playing that much on clay was not good especially since he seems set on still playing Halle. You are making my point for me, Roger is being a bit too sentimental these days. I wouldn't complain at all if he sat out all clay season again. Rust wasn't what made him do poorly on grass last year. He was never going to do anything on clay at this point, everyone should have realized that.
It's all about the big picture FOR YOU. Or how you see it. If Roger is playing clay for sentimental reasons, I don't think even you get to say him nay. You're not Roger, and it's not your life.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's all about the big picture FOR YOU. Or how you see it. If Roger is playing clay for sentimental reasons, I don't think even you get to say him nay. You're not Roger, and it's not your life.

Thank you Miss Obvious. Yes I am not Roger unfortunately. This is a message board and IMO his playing a lot on clay is stupid for someone who should have ambitions for Wimbledon and even USO. If he is sentimental while he has 2 guys gunning for his record...that is stupidity. Appeasing some French people should rank less important on his list...in my humble opinion.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thank you Miss Obvious. Yes I am not Roger unfortunately. This is a message board and IMO his playing a lot on clay is stupid for someone who should have ambitions for Wimbledon and even USO. If he is sentimental while he has 2 guys gunning for his record...that is stupidity. Appeasing some French people should rank less important on his list...in my humble opinion.
(Christ, I hate it when my mother does that to me. But she only does it when she's mad because I'm right. Though she calls me "Captain Obvious.") Your problem is that, in your very b/w world, for Roger it's the Majors record or complete obscurity. That's ridiculous...I'm sorry.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, yesterday Novak left the grounds after the match was stopped and before the tournament officials actually announced it was postponed to tomorrow. With him leaving the grounds, the officials had no other option than to postpone it to next day even though it was sunny. I don't know whether it is true or not. Does anyone know.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Yesterday they could have played both finals perfectly well and anyway they played two sets and today another two sets and a half and I think would have been a lot worse if they would have played to five sets both days like it happened before in others GS. I never forget that tough and long match between Nadal and Verdasco in the AO 2009 and the next day Nadal had to play the final vs Federer and both matches to five sets, that was tough
Yeah but that is not the case here. Theim played 3 sets on Thursday, 2 sets on friday and 2.5 on saturday while Nadal in that same period played 3. You are ignoring the mental tiredness effect. The point is that the tournament should have scheduled both semis at the same time which they did not

And you mention that they could have played on friday, the fact that they did not was because of the tournament having an incorrect weather report which stated that it was going to rain until 8PM. Since they had no lights there was no guarantee that play could happen after it stopped raining since the light is very poor from 8:30 onwards.

So the tournament ended up messing these 2 players which is a fact. I am really disappointed that 'Rafa' fans cannot understand this at all considering Wimbledon 2007, maybe I should stop feeling sorry for Rafa in that tournament

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Apparently, yesterday Novak left the grounds after the match was stopped and before the tournament officials actually announced it was postponed to tomorrow. With him leaving the grounds, the officials had no other option than to postpone it to next day even though it was sunny. I don't know whether it is true or not. Does anyone know.
Its proven false, both players were told before cancelling the play for the day. T

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jim Courier definitely defended him, and said that it was clear to the players that play was suspended for the day. He did note that it looked bad. No idea if he was covering for Novak, but there is at least cover for the notion that Novak didn't force the issue.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
djoko lost the match in his head..what a mental mess.

old blamange brain was lost in bozohampton.

dom played as if there was no wind at all.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah but that is not the case here. Theim played 3 sets on Thursday, 2 sets on friday and 2.5 on saturday while Nadal in that same period played 3. You are ignoring the mental tiredness effect. The point is that the tournament should have scheduled both semis at the same time which they did not

And you mention that they could have played on friday, the fact that they did not was because of the tournament having an incorrect weather report which stated that it was going to rain until 8PM. Since they had no lights there was no guarantee that play could happen after it stopped raining since the light is very poor from 8:30 onwards.

So the tournament ended up messing these 2 players which is a fact. I am really disappointed that 'Rafa' fans cannot understand this at all considering Wimbledon 2007, maybe I should stop feeling sorry for Rafa in that tournament
I think we all agree that, given the forecast, the tournament could have scheduled the two men's SFs to be played simultaneously on different courts. There were already players disadvantaged by Wed. being a total washout. I still think they made a poor decision not to try to finish the 3rd set on Friday, but it seems that both players may have agreed to that. (Though, realistically, if Thiem did, he's an idiot.)

I think plenty of Rafa fans understand this reality on the ground. I'd prefer if you don't paint us all with the same brush. As to your point about Wimbledon 2007, though, I'm not clear. Do you think Rafa was disadvantaged?

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I think we all agree that, given the forecast, the tournament could have scheduled the two men's SFs to be played simultaneously on different courts. There were already players disadvantaged by Wed. being a total washout. I still think they made a poor decision not to try to finish the 3rd set on Friday, but it seems that both players may have agreed to that. (Though, realistically, if Thiem did, he's an idiot.)

I think plenty of Rafa fans understand this reality on the ground. I'd prefer if you don't paint us all with the same brush. As to your point about Wimbledon 2007, though, I'm not clear. Do you think Rafa was disadvantaged?

I apologize for classifying all Nadal fans, I was just reading the reactions and judging from twitter. Wimbledon 2007 was when it rained a lot and I think Rafa played 5 straight days while Federer was resting, of course Rafa had a day's break for the final unlike here but it was not on a leveled field in the final

Also Thiem agreed to the next day because of the facts that were presented to him. Guy Forget mentioned that he came to both the players and told them that it would be raining till 8PM, since their event does not have light there is very little chance to play tennis after that since on normal days it starts getting dark around 8:30 and they would have to come tomorrow anyway to complete the match. Given these points, both players agreed that the match will be postponed. It was only after that Djokovic left the arena. He apologized on Saturday morning because the weather person had got it wrong and they could have finished the match yesterday.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I apologize for classifying all Nadal fans, I was just reading the reactions and judging from twitter. Wimbledon 2007 was when it rained a lot and I think Rafa played 5 straight days while Federer was resting, of course Rafa had a day's break for the final unlike here but it was not on a leveled field in the final

Also Thiem agreed to the next day because of the facts that were presented to him. Guy Forget mentioned that he came to both the players and told them that it would be raining till 8PM, since their event does not have light there is very little chance to play tennis after that since on normal days it starts getting dark around 8:30 and they would have to come tomorrow anyway to complete the match. Given these points, both players agreed that the match will be postponed. It was only after that Djokovic left the arena. He apologized on Saturday morning because the weather person had got it wrong and they could have finished the match yesterday.
Funny, even as a Nadal fan, I don't feel he was robbed by rain in 2007 and don't remember that, at all. I remember the final, where I thought he had chances, but I don't remember holding any grudge about rain or the schedule. I'm willing to believe that both Djokovic and Thiem were apprised of their options and decided to go home that night and come back the next day. Even though it didn't keep raining, I don't think there was a chance they'd have finished that night. Best option was that they'd have finished the 3rd set. Given that Thiem eventually won, it may have helped him for the final, but really hard to say.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Come on, the sunset at RG is @9:50 p.m. They have decent day light to play till 9:30. In fact, they have indeed played till 9:30 on other days even this year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Come on, the sunset at RG is @9:50 p.m. They have decent day light to play till 9:30. In fact, they have indeed played till 9:30 on other days even this year.
Not if there's cloud cover. In that case, it gets darker earlier. I made this point above.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
(Christ, I hate it when my mother does that to me. But she only does it when she's mad because I'm right. Though she calls me "Captain Obvious.") Your problem is that, in your very b/w world, for Roger it's the Majors record or complete obscurity. That's ridiculous...I'm sorry.

This is a dumb argument considering you even posed the question about whether this deep run at RG and all the clay matches may affect Federer at Wimbledon. If the man is prioritizing sentimental crap, on a surface he had no chance of doing well on, instead of being in the best condition to win Wimbledon he is a fool. I'm guessing that major record is a pretty big deal to him and the other 2 assuming they have competitive bones in their bodies.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has Djokovic done absolutely anything to address his problems against power hitters with one-handed backhands (i.e. Wawrinka and Thiem)?

In particular, when he is serving against them at either 30-0 or 30-15, you would think that the hardest thing Djokovic has ever done in his life was try to play tennis. He barely gets a serve in and then resorts to muscling short balls in the middle of the court that sit up like lame ducks.

He lost a golden opportunity with another terrible loss.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Has Djokovic done absolutely anything to address his problems against power hitters with one-handed backhands (i.e. Wawrinka and Thiem)?

In particular, when he is serving against them at either 30-0 or 30-15, you would think that the hardest thing Djokovic has ever done in his life was try to play tennis. He barely gets a serve in and then resorts to muscling short balls in the middle of the court that sit up like lame ducks.

He lost a golden opportunity with another terrible loss.
Absolutely right. I always thought and still think, the only thing that he needs against wawrinka 2015 or other big hitter, is more aggression overall. He could do that, like in 2011 and most of 2015. Becker gave an interesting interview on German TV about that final 2015, and clearly described why he lost that match in his opinion: passivity from set 2 !!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Absolutely right. I always thought and still think, the only thing that he needs against wawrinka 2015 or other big hitter, is more aggression overall. He could do that, like in 2011 and most of 2015. Becker gave an interesting interview on German TV about that final 2015, and clearly described why he lost that match in his opinion: passivity from set 2 !!
I definitely agree that he got too passive in set 2 of that match. Protecting his lead, but not going for the win. I think he underestimated Wawrinka, a bit, rather thinking he'd collapse. When he realized he wasn't going to, it was too late, and Stan had built up a head of steam and confidence.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I definitely agree that he got too passive in set 2 of that match. Protecting his lead, but not going for the win. I think he underestimated Wawrinka, a bit, rather thinking he'd collapse. When he realized he wasn't going to, it was too late, and Stan had built up a head of steam and confidence.
Thanks for your post. It’s exactly what I meant. By the way congrats to the Rafa Fans, i know your are one of them. Huge achievement !:clap:

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, finally RG officials figured out that there is something called light bulbs. :lol6:They will be lighting up four courts next year and all courts the following year. Once the lights are installed, the matched will be allowed to proceed till 11 p.m. under the lights.

They may be behind by 150 years, but better late than never.

Reactions: Bonaca

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he was aggressive and executed everything he could and still lost to Fed in 2011 semi. sometimes it's about his limits, not because he was passive. He could never be so effective offensive as some players.