2019 French Open Final: Ashleigh Barty vs. Marketa Vondrousova

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to Ash Barty. I have not seen her play much before this final and so don't know too much about her game. But, I liked the fact she was not nervous or overwhelmed by the occasion and played with composure.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Congrats to Ash Barty. I have not seen her play much before this final and so don't know too much about her game. But, I liked the fact she was not nervous or overwhelmed by the occasion and played with composure.

Absolutely. She seemed as if she was playing a 4th round match, not a major final. Focused, not nervous, and determined. Now let’s just hope she’s not another one-hit wonder.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ash Barty's thoughts after her maiden Grand Slam title.

"According to Ash her rise would never have happened had she not walked away from tennis.In 2016,Barty was pondering a return to tennis after having walked away from the game as a teenager struggling with homesickness.Ash took up professional cricket in an effort to live a normal life.I think I needed time to grow as a person,to mature."

"I think a new perspective in my life and in my career,it's brought this new belief,I suppose,and this feeling of belonging at the very top level.I feel like I'm playing some really good tennis.I know when I play my best tennis,I can match it against the world's best"

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
great for Australian tennis, first woman to win RG since Court, bravo Barty !!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Pics of the champ:
upload_2019-6-13_21-36-12.png

upload_2019-6-13_21-39-11.png

upload_2019-6-13_21-40-0.png

upload_2019-6-13_21-41-47.png

upload_2019-6-13_21-29-52.png

upload_2019-6-13_21-32-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-13_21-31-32.png
    upload_2019-6-13_21-31-32.png
    679.1 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: tented

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Who are the other people in Photo #4.

Amazing to hear/see AB's taken over the #1 ranking! She's not holding a lot of championships so she must be really consistent to overtake Osaka who's won 2 majors in the last several months! Osaka will probably get it back at Wimbledon! When will things settle for the ladies? It's been in constant flux/turmoil with Serena on or off the tour at any given time! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek: :rolleyes:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Amazing to hear/see AB's taken over the #1 ranking! She's not holding a lot of championships so she must be really consistent to overtake Osaka who's won 2 majors in the last several months! Osaka will probably get it back at Wimbledon! When will things settle for the ladies? It's been in constant flux/turmoil with Serena on or off the tour at any given time! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek: :rolleyes:
Lol! You complain about men's tennis, now you're want to complain about women's too?

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Lol! You complain about men's tennis, now you're want to complain about women's too?

You say "complaint," I say "observation!" You are dealing with a person that has a long history playing and watching the game! It's just been the most bizarre concerning both tours; the men for allowing old geezers to own things for so long while the women have gone totally opposite having tons of changes to the top ranks at any time! I can't even remember or pronounce their names! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead:

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You say "complaint," I say "observation!" You are dealing with a person that has a long history playing and watching the game! It's just been the most bizarre concerning both tours; the men for allowing old geezers to own things for so long while the women have gone totally opposite having tons of changes to the top ranks at any time! I can't even remember or pronounce their names! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead:
well hang on a minute there! First of all you're not the only one who's been watching for a while. Granted you've been watching for longer than me, but frankly when you've logged in 3 or 4 decades it's all much of a muchness. But your complaint that old timers are still doing well now makes no sense. What about when the old timers were still doing it in the late 60s and 70s? Were you complaining then? If you're good you're good. It's up to the next generation to take over. You seem to reserve your criticism for the guys now. But I don't here you calling guys like Ashe and Nastase trash when Laver, Rosewall et al were still sticking around late. Those guys that followed them ended up being pretty good so why all the constant complaining. And yes... it's complaining not observing :D

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
well hang on a minute there! First of all you're not the only one who's been watching for a while. Granted you've been watching for longer than me, but frankly when you've logged in 3 or 4 decades it's all much of a muchness. But your complaint that old timers are still doing well now makes no sense. What about when the old timers were still doing it in the late 60s and 70s? Were you complaining then? If you're good you're good. It's up to the next generation to take over. You seem to reserve your criticism for the guys now. But I don't here you calling guys like Ashe and Nastase trash when Laver, Rosewall et al were still sticking around late. Those guys that followed them ended up being pretty good so why all the constant complaining. And yes... it's complaining not observing :D

You must be "on something!" You're just making up $#!t as you go along! I made an observation and posted it, but you have a complaint! WHY? Get over yourself! I just thought it ironic the women were like the men now with just a couple players running the show; Evert, Graf, Seles, & Navratilova! Now they flip rankings all the time! The exact opposite is going on with the men, but there was no complaint back "in the day!" Laver, Ashe, Newcombe, Rosewall, & the rest were indeed up there and still competitive! The game wasn't as physical until the clay season! I don't even have as much a complaint about Federer! It's just more a critique of the tour allowing him to stay up in the rankings even though playing under par; sorta like Connors late! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You must be "on something!" You're just making up $#!t as you go along! I made an observation and posted it, but you have a complaint! WHY? Get over yourself! I just thought it ironic the women were like the men now with just a couple players running the show; Evert, Graf, Seles, & Navratilova! Now they flip rankings all the time! The exact opposite is going on with the men, but there was no complaint back "in the day!" Laver, Ashe, Newcombe, Rosewall, & the rest were indeed up there and still competitive! The game wasn't as physical until the clay season! I don't even have as much a complaint about Federer; just more a critique of the tour allowing him to stay up in the rankings even though playing under par; sorta like Connors late! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:
There you go again... "allowing" :facepalm: