I did think she was younger than 23.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard that...played cricket?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kudos to Ash taking a break from the game,she felt burn out,then found out she miossed the game

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Over the moon with the result....Ash Barty No 2 in the world,GS 1 at RG and more to come,hopefully.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
think about all the times she could have lost yesterday. Anisimova had raised her level, but Ash hung tough

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well it is 2am here in Sydney need my beauty sleep thanks everyone and Oi,Oi,Oi,

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
ok. will be closing the chat. please take any remaining comments to the match thread and join us tomorrow for the men's final

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Great day for Barty. Finally comes of age after taking over 2 years off from the sport and playing a whole other sport, at the pro level. So much success for her so young. In the juniors (won Wimbledon at 15, got to #2) and on the ITF tour. And so much early success in doubles as well. Probably just a bit burnt out. But also I think she just couldn't handle the pressure of all the hopes of the Australian people on her shoulders at such a young age. And you can hardly blame her for that. Still not really a fan of hers. But, she's hard to dislike. Has been through a lot. But has learned to deal with it. Which I respect so much. You have to. She's come back to the sport. Put in the hard work in singles and doubles and has her just reward for it.
Had the doubles slam with CoCo at the US Open last year. And wins her first singles slam just 2 slams later. Very impressive. Playing so much more confident now. She joins just Serena, Venus, Kuznetsova, and Stosur as the only active women with slams in singles and doubles. Vika has 2 slams in mixed doubles, but none in women's doubles. (There are a number of youngish players who do fairly well in singles that have doubles slams. So this number could definitely grow. But for now, it's just the 4 or 5. Mladenovic and Garcia come to mind mostly.) Very happy for her. Will jump in the rankings. I think I saw someone say #2. That's huge. A testament to the depth on tour that the rankings are so jam packed at the top that anyone who wins a slam can be top 5 almost instantly. Just barely over 2000 points between Osaka and Barty before this tournament.

Barty definitely had help. Anisimova taking out Halep was huge. Barty can probably beat Halep. But Halep would still have been the favorite. Serena not fit or match strong helped a lot. But I was thinking it might be Barty that took Serena down anyways. Because she has the power and game to do it. But as it actually happened, she did get a lot of help from the draw breaking down. But... you play what you get and she won all of those. Vondrousova had help as well. But she still got herself here. Other than the fact that she didn't show up today. And, so many of the draws "break down" these days on the ladies side because there is so much depth and just about anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Or at least just about anyone in the top 50.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Really glad for Barty to get a singles title. She played a great tennis throught this RG and is well deserved. Congratulations to her.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Wild slam.

Osaka's slam streak coming to an end, was, again, not surprising. Did not show anything on clay before RG to suggest she had much chance. Barty, and probably another player or two, will have a chance to pass her at Wimbledon.
Still very excited for Vondrousova's future. And Anisimova's future. And we'll all have to keep an eye on Konta at Wimbledon. I'm curious to see how Anisimova does at Wimbledon (she'll be seeded). And Barty of course. Her game clearly works anywhere, but should be great on grass as well. And will hopefully be able to translate this win here into some serious confidence. But of course we all know that after these folks win their first slams their lives change and everyone wants to meet them and the tv interviews and all the craziness happens so she could be exhausted and lose early directly after, like we've seen happen to a number of champions. Osaka benefited from the AO being 4 months later. Struggled in the fall though. Not entirely. But did struggle.

Last year's finalists did at least make the quarters. But, the manner in which both of them got hammered was more than disappointing. Especially with Konta/Stephens for me. I've never cared much about Konta and she's fully deserved to win. Just wish Sloane wasn't susceptible to days like that. But Konta was lights out amazing on that day. So. It is what is. You get what you get. As for Anisimova over Halep. As excited as I am to have new blood in Anisimova, and even though I'm not a huge fan of Halep. I hate to see her be completely unable to challenge like that. The racket was taken out of her hand. It raises all sorts of questions about how long Halep will be able to compete at the highest levels and challenge for slams.

Bertens and Kvitova's absences were both felt for sure. Both having such great years and then just unable to play. So disappointing. Hate that for both of them. Hopefully both are healthy and back for Wimbledon. As much as I want to see Serena get #24 and Sloane win slams anywhere and any of my other players I root for do well. I'd love to see Kvitova win a third Wimbledon too. And maybe it'd get her to #1 finally. Not sure.
Keys showed some signs of life. We'll see if that translates to Wimbledon this year. But for this tournament, a QF after a SF last year. I'm still not really a fan of hers. But that's great. That's strong. Even as she struggles on the tour most weeks. She finds something at the slams. QF at the AO this year. Good for her.
Nice run for Bolsova, Kanepi, Martic, Swiatek, Kenin and Sevastova. Sevastova winning that marathon over Mertens was ... maybe not a highlight of the tournament because it was a slog of a match. But a highlight for both of them probably.
Pliskova and Kerber disappointing here again. Bencic slightly disappointing. But Vekic played so well in that match, all credit to her.
Kudermetova with the win over Wozniacki and her first trip to a grand slam third round, falling to Kanepi. Again, all a credit to the depth of the field. Though of course so much of it had to do with this surface.

Wimbledon should be fun. I'm sure the draw will have it's share of surprises again. But we'll see if the good ol' top dogs of years past reign supreme there again. Serena the woman to watch and see if/how she finds her game again. Kerber defending champion. Muguruza two years ago. Looked good at RG. Found some wins. Could find some better form and show up. Can Venus summon up her greatness at her favorite venue? Can Halep prove she's still a force to be reckoned with on tour. How is Osaka on grass? Can she assert herself as the worlds best player, even while she has room for growth and improvement? Or will she be passed by one of her fellow top 8 players. I'll of course have my eyes on Sloane. Sloane hasn't won a match at Wimbledon since 2016. Her first match back on tour, anywhere, after the foot surgery and long layoff was Wimbledon 2017. Then lost to Vekic in the 1st round last year after making the RG finals. Vekic solid on grass. Lost to Konta in the 4th round here. Made the 3rd round of Wimbledon last year. But also beat Sloane again later in the year last year. Vekic in particular won't be a first round threat again now that she's seeded. But it could be someone else. Hoping Sloane just wants to get back to business and focuses and gets some wins. Not sure I believe she can go deep there this year. Needs to find some form. And I've never seen her do well on grass. But. Hoping she can start to find some confidence there.
As the transition period seems to be in full swing again, there are so many players to watch. So much young talent that is young enough to have the false confidence to upset major names and then lose in the next round. Easily my favorite major. Can't wait. There's plenty more to say surely. But so many variables and questions it's basically pointless. So I'll just leave it there.

Congrats again to Barty who played so well and fought so well this tournament. And when it looked like she was gonna let her nerves get the better of her against a very young talent, she calmed herself and pulled it out fairly straightforwardly. Never looked back after being down 0-3 in the second set against Anisimova yesterday. So impressive from her. Completely deserves to be up there with the best of them.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
But I'm also REALLY glad it's over after tomorrow. Can't wait for tomorrow. But then I don't wanna see a court, racket, or ball or player for a couple weeks. Or at least not until Halle/Queens Club and Eastbourne for the ladies. Not sure if that's a week away or 2 or 3 weeks away. But I'll be taking a break til then.