2017 Australian Open Final: FEDAL XXXV

Who will win the title?

• Total voters

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Federer handed a lot of easy breaks to Nadal. Both players played awful on some parts, and almost never well at the same time. It was a strange, tense match, but not high quality. I can remember a handful of stupid sitter shots Federer missed.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Puppet Master said:
Both played like gods. This was surely one of the best matches I ever watched.
So full of emotion as well.
I am in disbelief.
Nadal will be disappointed but will definitely look back at this as a good performance. I see him as a favourite for RG as of now, with this level.
The surface clearly favoured Roger more, and Rafa wasn't blasting winners himself. He hit just 35 I think. Needs to press more, which he undoubtably will.
Legends. I love you two, never retire.

Also, how can one not remember the fact that he went into the tourney as #17 in the rankings and won it, just as Sampras did at USO in 2002.

He definitely wasn't aggressive enough and that's why he's holding the dinner platter. Rog took it to him and played aggressively, especially on return in the decider. Nadal got the break but didn't press to get another break. His return position allowed Fed to dictate even on 2nd serves.

This is the thing though. If the surface and balls weren't changed, would Fed be able to beat Nadal? I am not so sure. Or if both performed like this on clay? Roger would barely win a set.
Nadal didn't expect Roger to play with such courage, and probably would have played better if his semifinal match didn't last for 5 hours. But it doesn't matter now. We are witnessing something of sauch magnitude we don't even realise it.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Definitely now it's my turn to say that Roger Federer is a cheater, yes, an authentic cheater! :cover:nono:s

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Busted said:
El Dude said:
Puppet Master, I don't think Rafa played all that great. Frankly, if Roger had his head on straight he would have won it in 3 or 4, but Rafa just gets in his head. Most of the points Roger lost were self-inflicted, although Rafa did have his share of brilliant moments.

You can't attribute Roger's head up his ass all to Nadal. He was struggling with his concentration in every match except the Berdych match. He should have finished off Nishikori in 4 and Stan in 3. He had the same dips in this match that he did in the previous 6 rounds. In a way he's lucky that he hadn't played in 6 months because he was mentally fresh and had low expectations. He had nothing to lose - and Nadal had something to prove. For once Nadal had more pressure on him than Federer did.

I would argue that both players had nothing to lose really. Yes, Federer had a 6 month layoff so he had low expectations, but at the same time, Nadal did not really come to 2017 as a fresh person either. Both players were a huge unknowns coming to this tournament and fortunately for both of them they found their best tennis at the right time.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
rafanoy, I think he will...and ten French Opens isnt so bad, no?

Not guaranteed at all

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:
Federer handed a lot of easy breaks to Nadal. Both players played awful on some parts, and almost never well at the same time. It was a strange, tense match, but not high quality. I can remember a handful of stupid sitter shots Federer missed.

Yeah, there was a lot of slop. What particularly impressed me was the game where Roger broke for 5-3. He played some blinders there. But tons of easy sitters missed alright, along with a lot of bad choices, eg. hitting into the wrong side of the court for no reason when the whole other side of the court was wide open. This has been a trend for years mind you with Roger. And that missed overhead that he hit so far long it's probably in the South Pole by now. Still though, he'll take it. As will his fans.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
I'm feeling a lot of love for Rafa, now that he lost a Slam to Roger ;)

Good for you. :clap I still don't like him. :lolz:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It was a very special match, and a very special tournament. I actually felt Rafa lost today's match when he tightened up in the second set against Grigor. I know, that long ago. But I expected him to race through that second set, and he dumped his serve 4 times, wobbled as he used to, and the match dragged on. And on. He looked mentally and physically off the pace at times today. He lacked his usual intensity today, his sharpness, he was much less aggressive than he needed to be, and he faltered badly at the end, but he was way too inconsistent throughout. Even still, though, he made a match of it. My fear was a 3 set blow-out.

Roger has achieved a miracle, one that will be scanned many ways for a long time to come. The tournament was great too, with the WS's competing in the final. I wonder if this looks more like a last hurrah for some players, rather than a resurgence? Time will tell.

Anyway, it was great to have some tennis to cheer again, rather than the last couple seasons for Rafa...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Definitely now it's my turn to say that Roger Federer is a cheater, yes, an authentic cheater! :cover:nono:s

You're so predictable, Carol. My guess is you're referring to the MTO but you're too dumb to realize it benefitted Nadal as he broke right away.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
kskate2 said:
Puppet Master said:
Both played like gods. This was surely one of the best matches I ever watched.
So full of emotion as well.
I am in disbelief.
Nadal will be disappointed but will definitely look back at this as a good performance. I see him as a favourite for RG as of now, with this level.
The surface clearly favoured Roger more, and Rafa wasn't blasting winners himself. He hit just 35 I think. Needs to press more, which he undoubtably will.
Legends. I love you two, never retire.

Also, how can one not remember the fact that he went into the tourney as #17 in the rankings and won it, just as Sampras did at USO in 2002.

He definitely wasn't aggressive enough and that's why he's holding the dinner platter. Rog took it to him and played aggressively, especially on return in the decider. Nadal got the break but didn't press to get another break. His return position allowed Fed to dictate even on 2nd serves.

This is the thing though. If the surface and balls weren't changed, would Fed be able to beat Nadal? I am not so sure. Or if both performed like this on clay? Roger would barely win a set.
Nadal didn't expect Roger to play with such courage,
and probably would have played better if his semifinal match didn't last for 5 hours. But it doesn't matter now. We are witnessing something of sauch magnitude we don't even realise it.
Good question. Don't know. I find it hard to believe he was surprised by Fed's aggression and courage. He knows better than anyone how offensive Fed's game can be, so no real reason not to be ready for most of those shots.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Son of a bitch did it...I have waited long enough. Rafa finally played Roger's backhand into form.

:laydownlaughing Maybe we can attribute that to Ivan Ljubicic instead? I don't like Nada enough to give him the credit. :lolz:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

You're so predictable, Carol. My guess is you're referring to the MTO but you're too dumb to realize it benefitted Nadal as he broke right away.

Well, I didn't mind the MTO, and it didn't affect Rafa, but let's never hear you complain about them again, eh? ;)

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Carol35 said:

Yeah, because Rafa showed so much class taking extra time before Roger's serves. Same crap he gets away with in every match. I wish one player would have the balls to complain to the umpire and make Nadal play at the server's pace - which is the freaking rule. And they need to stop letting Nadal take 45 seconds on his own serve. During the Zverev match John McEnroe said it was ridiculous how slow Nadal was playing - clearly trying to get into the kid's head. And it worked. If not for his gamesmanship with Zverev Nadal never would have made the final.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am also thinking Roger watched Grigor's semifinal match very closely. Roger was hitting more down the line backhands, instead of hitting them cross court. Roger misses more with his cross court back hands, even though he won great points from it in this match. He kept Nadal guessing as to which side he was hitting his back hand, and often he seemed to fake a cross court back hand, then hitting down the line, or straight back at Nadal, which I thought surprised Nadal a little. I also felt a lot of the service breaks Roger suffered were gifts.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Well, I didn't mind the MTO, and it didn't affect Rafa, but let's never hear you complain about them again, eh? ;)

Welcome back. It was well known Roger had an adductor injury and obvious from the match against Stan. He played 3 x 5 setters. I'd say it was perfectly justified and anyway, he lost serve as predicted right away to start the 5th. Knew he would. So quite why Carol says he's a cheater is anyone's guess.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
atttomole said:
I am also thinking Roger watched Grigor's semifinal match very closely. Roger was hitting more down the line backhands, instead of hitting them cross court. Roger misses more with his cross court back hands, even though he won great points from it in this match. He kept Nadal guessing as to which side he was hitting his back hand, and often he seemed to fake a cross court back hand, then hitting down the line, or straight back at Nadal, which I thought surprised Nadal a little. I also felt a lot of the service breaks Roger suffered were gifts.

Definitely more gifted than usual in their matches.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
That may be the last slam final Fed and Nadal will ever play against each other. Just so happy Federer won. I didn't think he could. What genius decided the court should play faster this year? It was refreshing to be spared the endless rallies.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

Welcome back. It was well known Roger had an adductor injury and obvious from the match against Stan. He played 3 x 5 setters. I'd say it was perfectly justified and anyway, he lost serve as predicted right away to start the 5th. Knew he would. So quite why Carol says he's a cheater is anyone's guess.

She's saying it for the same reason you always b1tch about it. But this time, Federer actually admitted the other day against Stan that his MTO was "more mental than anything else" because it gave him the opportunity to chat with somebody, "even if it's just a physio."

Now, personally, I have no complaints about any of that stuff, but you should to be consistent in your criticisms...

EDIT: thanks for the welcome back, by the way. :)

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
atttomole said:

Darren Cahill also said that Roger was hitting his backhand so flat that there was practically no spin on the ball - that he could read the Wilson logo on the ball from where he as sitting courtside. McEnroe seemed shocked at that - as if it never occurred to him to that Roger could take all the spin off the ball so Nadal had to work harder to create all the topspin he puts on his forehand.