2017 Australian Open Final: FEDAL XXXV

Who will win the title?

• Total voters

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
By the way, I still think the 2012 and 2014 losses were more devastating than this one

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
True, Kelli. Im also thinking that Novak and Andy are a bit more wary of Fedal going forward.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
that one in 2012 for sure. If I remember correctly he was up 4-2 right?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In the 2012, he was playing a lot better and just really lose his chance

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy, I think he will...and ten French Opens isnt so bad, no?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I know its the dinner platter, but this is a good result for Rafa. He hadnt even been to SF of a slam in while

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But at the same time, he already has the record with 9 in a single slam ;)

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
herios said:
Well done by the old man.
It was really some performance.
:clap

I don't think anybody expected Roger to come back in the 5th when he's lost SO MANY matches in the 5th - especially at Slams. They were both up and down the whole match, but it's GREAT to see Roger win a tough one against Nadal.:clap

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Alright gang. Thanks for joining us for the live chat. Please take any remaining comments to the match thread

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Busted said:
herios said:

I don't think anybody expected Roger to come back in the 5th when he's lost SO MANY matches in the 5th - especially at Slams. They were both up and down the whole match, but it's GREAT to see Roger win a tough one against Nadal.:clap

Absolutely. Even more satisfying than winning in 3 imo.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Both played like gods. This was surely one of the best matches I ever watched.
So full of emotion as well.
I am in disbelief.
Nadal will be disappointed but will definitely look back at this as a good performance. I see him as a favourite for RG as of now, with this level.
The surface clearly favoured Roger more, and Rafa wasn't blasting winners himself. He hit just 35 I think. Needs to press more, which he undoubtably will.
Legends. I love you two, never retire.

Also, how can one not remember the fact that he went into the tourney as #17 in the rankings and won it, just as Sampras did at USO in 2002.
Guess who is #1 and #2 in the race to London. Come on, guess. :D

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Busted said:
herios said:

Absolutely. Even more satisfying than winning in 3 imo.

I'll concur with that. Especially for long-suffering Fed fans who suffered through 5 set losses 2008 Wimbledon, 2009 Australia...and I'll throw in 2009 US Open against DelPo and 2010 and 2011 US Open semis against Djokovic and 2014 Wimbledon against Djokovic. I don't have many gray hairs - but the ones I do have are all Roger's fault. :laydownlaughing There's 4 Slams he SHOULD have won and 2 more finals he SHOULD have been in. That would have sealed this stupid GOAT talk that John McEnroe and Brad Gilbert keep nattering about. :rolleyes:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm feeling a lot of love for Rafa, now that he lost a Slam to Roger ;)

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Puppet Master, I don't think Rafa played all that great. Frankly, if Roger had his head on straight he would have won it in 3 or 4, but Rafa just gets in his head. Most of the points Roger lost were self-inflicted, although Rafa did have his share of brilliant moments.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
I just can't believe it.

Pretty damned good for an old man who hasn't played in 6 months, huh? :snicker

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
Both played like gods. This was surely one of the best matches I ever watched.
So full of emotion as well.
I am in disbelief.
Nadal will be disappointed but will definitely look back at this as a good performance. I see him as a favourite for RG as of now, with this level.
The surface clearly favoured Roger more, and Rafa wasn't blasting winners himself. He hit just 35 I think. Needs to press more, which he undoubtably will.
Legends. I love you two, never retire.

Also, how can one not remember the fact that he went into the tourney as #17 in the rankings and won it, just as Sampras did at USO in 2002.

He definitely wasn't aggressive enough and that's why he's holding the dinner platter. Rog took it to him and played aggressively, especially on return in the decider. Nadal got the break but didn't press to get another break. His return position allowed Fed to dictate even on 2nd serves.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations to Roger Federer. He is a great champion and deserves to win just because of perseverance especially after his injury.

As for Nadal, while it is disappointing he lost another chance for a double career slam and in a big picture getting to 15, it was a great tournament for him. Hopefully, he continues to play well throughout the year.

The only reason I am really bummed is not because he lost to Federer, but just I am just concerned that he might not win his 15th slam. Yes, I know there is Roland Garros to look forward to this year but that's the thing about this sport, there are no guarantees. He might be playing well right now but come into a major, he might struggle.

I am just really hoping he wins 15th at some point because he is not getting younger that's for sure!

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Puppet Master, I don't think Rafa played all that great. Frankly, if Roger had his head on straight he would have won it in 3 or 4, but Rafa just gets in his head. Most of the points Roger lost were self-inflicted, although Rafa did have his share of brilliant moments.

You can't attribute Roger's head up his ass all to Nadal. He was struggling with his concentration in every match except the Berdych match. He should have finished off Nishikori in 4 and Stan in 3. He had the same dips in this match that he did in the previous 6 rounds. In a way he's lucky that he hadn't played in 6 months because he was mentally fresh and had low expectations. He had nothing to lose - and Nadal had something to prove. For once Nadal had more pressure on him than Federer did.