2017 Australian Open Day 4: Thursday, Jan 19 - Order of Play

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
This is very worrisome for Novak and his fans. Even if he comes back, he's in serious trouble.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow. It happened. Poor Novak. I thought he'd win this tournament, but this is a real blow. 2R loss to #119 in the world, his first Slam loss to an opponent outside the top 100.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
This is very worrisome for Novak and his fans. Even if he comes back, he's in serious trouble.

I agree, El Dude! What's even baffling is that he doesn't even look like he cares about that this match

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
atttomole said:
Unbelievable!!!

It happens sooner or later! It just seems to have happened to Nole a little later than most! We always expect more from him, but that consistency has to taper off a little! I've stopped assuming early round wins and take every match seriously now! The 2016 season's 2nd half seems to be a harbinger of things to come! Again Nole had a chance to take back the #1 ranking and now he's lost it for a few months! Murray can coast for a while longer with little to defend! If Nole can just take one more French Open, I'll be happy enough! You can't win them all and he's been pushing it for quite a few years with a record few can dispute is "great!" Time for a new winner! :rolleyes: :cover :eyepop

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
El Dude said:

I agree, El Dude! What's even baffling is that he doesn't even look like he cares about that this match

Why do people push this narrative so much? I never hear Federer and Nadal being "lethargic" or that they "don't care". You know why? Because we all know deep down that it isn't true. Yes, motivation fluctuates over time, and it's far from easy for pros, but come on. They care very much. Especially Novak. He cares too much, so he makes it look like he doesn't care at all. It's a coping mechanism.
We will never know what is truly going on in the heads of players, but as all tennis players, even a well playing Novak can be beaten on a given day. Don't be ridiculous.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
rafanoy1992 said:
El Dude said:

Why do people push this narrative so much? I never hear Federer and Nadal being "lethargic" or that they "don't care". You know why? Because we all know deep down that it isn't true. Yes, motivation fluctuates over time, and it's far from easy for pros, but come on. They care very much. Especially Novak. He cares too much, so he makes it look like he doesn't care at all. It's a coping mechanism.
We will never know what is truly going on in the heads of players, but as all tennis players, even a well playing Novak can be beaten on a given day. Don't be ridiculous.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have used the word doesn't care too much but the reason I describe him like that is because it did not seem like he was engaged or something towards the 4th and 5th set.

Usually, when he is struggling or when the opponent is outplaying him during the match, he shows frustration or experessions but today he seemed subdued. It is just weird for me to see him subdued or quiet because usually he will show his emotions.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Puppet Master said:
rafanoy1992 said:

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have used the word doesn't care too much but the reason I describe him like that is because it did not seem like he was engaged or something towards the 4th and 5th set.

Usually, when he is struggling or when the opponent is outplaying him during the match, he shows frustration or experessions but today he seemed subdued. It is just weird for me to see him subdued or quiet because usually he will show his emotions.
Novak said he got outplayed today..sometimes in life "you can't stop what is coming"

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
As expected, Baghdatis has no answer to Nadal, who leads 6-3 6-1 2-1. Nadal's form for this comeback has been impressive, but it's hard to make too much of it in these rounds - playing Zverev next round should give us a better idea!

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Puppet Master said:
rafanoy1992 said:

I see what you mean. He knows all hell breaks loose when he has those famous outbursts, so he tried to keep it cool most likely. His behaviour in Shanghai last year for example, was beyond disgusting. Ripping shirts, constant blabbing to his box, busting racquets etc. He got a lot of flock for it and in Paris, even though he lost to Cilic, there was almost no reaction at all.
It's either that or he is sure he will win the rest of the slams. You pick whcih one it is. :D

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer needs to play so much better against Berdie. I hope he isn't going to have 56-60% first serve in; I hope he lands in more than that. I hope I can get to watch the match btw.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is Berdych best opportunity against Roger since 2010 or 2012.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've never seen Istomin playing so well, good serve and looking very confident even his movement (foot work) wasn't so good comparing with the speed of Novak running all over the court. Maybe Novak has not playing his best because nobody can do it forever or maybe Istomin did it and made everything dificult to his opponent, maybe he couldn't make it in the next match but today he played really well :clap

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:

If Berdych wins it will just as big shock as Istomin Roger in 3sets.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
sid said:
the AntiPusher said:

If Berdych wins it will just as big shock as Istomin Roger in 3sets.

No way, it will be a comparable shock if Bird wins it. Bird has defeated Roger many times before. Bird is not from outside 100. Everyone knows Roger is coming back from a six month break and may not perform very well. Think before you speak.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Istomin had +2 differential, whereas Novak had -4 differential. It was a quality match.

Players like Simon could not get the job done as the reason they reached the fifth set in the first place was because of excessive UFE and bad play by Novak. In this match Novak played good, but Istomin played better.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Istomin had +2 differential, whereas Novak had -4 differential. It was a quality match.

Players like Simon could not get the job done as the reason they reached the fifth set in the first place was because of excessive UFE and bad play by Novak. In this match Novak played good, but Istomin played better.

Few want to give Istomin any credit for winning this match thinking Nole lost it; HE DIDN'T! It was a well fought match on both sides; Istomin obviously "zoning!" It happens! :angel: :dodgy: :rolleyes:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed's first loss to a player outside 100 in GS was at 2013 Wimby to Stakhovsky.

Rafa's first (am I right?) loss to a player outside 100 in GS also happened at 2013 Wimbeldon to Steve Darcis (the previous year he lost to Rosol, but he was ranked 100. Needless to remind he followed up that with two more losses to players ranked outside 100, to Nick and Dreddie in the next two Wimbledons).

Novak's first loss came yesterday.

Does anyone know whether Andy is yet to achieve this distinction?