2016 U.S. Open: Day 10, September 7 - Order of Play

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would echo Herios and ftan. It was not a classic, but had some truly memorable points. Kei played well. His drop shot was great. I think Murray tried to wait for Kei to lose and it didn't happen.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
I am very excited for Delpo, if he wins today he should be able to beat Kei, as we know Kei is not great in fitness department. I hope I can watch the match tonight, I might have to cancel my daughter's play date :D

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Saw some of the Kei-Murray match. I cannot say I am disappointed. I will take anything over Nole-Murray.
This also surprised me and I did not know that:

"Nishikori owned a 96-26 record, giving him a winning percentage of 79 per cent, a higher percentage than anyone in the Open Era." Talking about matches that go to a decider. Impressive !

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kei has now defeated all members of big four at least once. How many active players can claim the same?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Kei has now defeated all members of big four at least once. How many active players can claim the same?

Not many; most are gutless and can't be relied upon no matter the lead and MP's! Even the players with 1 or 2 wins are woefully behind the curve due to their own consistency! They've had many chances like Berdych, Cilic, Ferrer, Tsonga, Gasquet, Dimitrov and so many others who have lived in the top 10 or 20 for years! There's just no excuse since I believe they all have the physical ability so it must be something between the ears! :nono :cover :rolleyes: :p

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Delpo doesn't look right. After dropping that opening set, I can't see him outlasting Stanimal in 4 or 5.

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
By winning this match and the Bronze Medal match at the Olympics against Nadal he even has exactly two wins against each of the big four (and also two wins against Wawrinka). So after Del Potro he is the second player younger than 30 years who achieved this. Otherwise also Wawrinka, Tsonga and Berdych have at least two wins and including retired players Roddick has at least three wins against each big four member.

Additionally Gilles Simon is someone who has at least one win against each of them but I'm not sure if there are any other active players who further did this as for the ones I could possibly think of: Ferrer (Federer), Raonic (Djokovic), Cilic (Djokovic), Monfils (Djokovic), Thiem (Djokovic and Murray), Stepanek (Nadal), Gasquet (Nadal), Haas (Nadal), Youzhny (Federer and Murray), Verdasco (Federer), Dimitrov (Federer and Nadal), Karlovic (Murray and Nadal), Almagro (Federer and Djokovic), Isner (Murray and Nadal), Baghdatis (Djokovic) there is at least one member they haven't defeated yet.

GameSetAndMath said:
I guess this also settles YE #1. There is no more fight in that race.
Yes, if Novak doesn't take the rest of the year off for some reason it's hard to see him losing the No. 1 ranking in 2016 and especially if he wins the US Open it will be very tough for Andy to get to No. 1 at all as if I calculated correctly Novak then would be slightly ahead in points won after Miami and just slightly behind in points won after Roland Garros. With Beijing to Miami usually being Novak's best part of the calendar Andy outperforming him there would be a great surprise.

Also it basically guarantees Novak the ITF Player of the Year award as he has scored more points at the majors (the only ITF events where ATP points are awarded this year) than Andy now, which if Andy would have had a better result than Novak at the US Open could have been interesting even with Novak ending the year as No. 1.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
More than ITF reward is Laureus award, and i think Djoker can get it if he win US Open. Otherwise some Usain Bolt is there and Phelps.

But RG made his success much bigger - all 4 GS in bag.

It will be interesting to see.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Too bad for Delpo, but Stan was going to be a lot to ask!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:

I think Delpo must be every single person in the universes second favourite player - if he isn't their favourite. Even when he beat Rafa at the Olympics I was glad, because it was Delpo. I thought he'd beat Stan, but I'm beginning to think that players who skipped the Olympics, or did poorly there, are benefiting from that now...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Riotbeard said:

I think Delpo must be every single person in the universes second favourite player - if he isn't their favourite. Even when he beat Rafa at the Olympics I was glad, because it was Delpo. I thought he'd beat Stan, but I'm beginning to think that players who skipped the Olympics, or did poorly there, are benefiting from that now...

If Delpo had made the final against Novak, I am not sure who I would root for. Novak has enough slams overall, haha.