2016 Roland Garros Final: Serena Williams v Garbine Murguruza

French Open Final: Who wins?

• Total voters

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Watching the match replay, Garbiñe has been by far the better player, she made (until now, 5-7 1-3) 7 double faults but even that she played very aggressive, confident and calm, she knew she could win and she did
Excellent and strong shots by both and good footwork, great match!

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Watching the match replay, Garbiñe has been by far the better player, she made (until now, 5-7 1-3) 7 double faults but even that she played very aggressive, confident and calm, she knew she could win and she did
Excellent and strong shots by both and good footwork, great match!

You have to give credit where credit is due. Without the double faults (which aren't a big deal), that was a perfect match. Serena was gracious as well, saying that she tried and there wasn't much she could do. I like Garbine's game, been watching her since she came on tour and thought she had the best chance as compared to Halep, Agga, Bouchard and Sloane.

I wonder where this win will take her. I don't see her laying down though, do you?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You have to give credit where credit is due. Without the double faults (which aren't a big deal), that was a perfect match. Serena was gracious as well, saying that she tried and there wasn't much she could do. I like Garbine's game, been watching her since she came on tour and thought she had the best chance as compared to Halep, Agga, Bouchard and Sloane.

I wonder where this win will take her. I don't see her laying down though, do you?

I've just finished to watch the whole match, excellent game and the last point wowww superb
I've always said that Garbiñe has everything to be a Champion and I hope and believe that this win will take her far getting more and more achievements if she would be injuries free. Not too long ego she got an ankle surgery and after that she wasn't very consistent but she is still 22 years old and seems to have a great future and of course has better game than those ones that you have named :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is the breakthrough that Muguruza needs, I think. I would say she and Vika are the only ones with the game to take Serena. All credit to Garbiñe today, but I do think that the history, and the weather were weighing Serena down, a bit. Her footwork was not there. She was a bit flat, but that is also the opponent. Garbiñe is aggressive, brave, powerful and confident. That's what it takes to beat Serena. I hope she takes this to the bank. I think Vika can, too, if she comes back healthy. As Serena is burnishing the resume, she will be aging out, too. I'd like to see, for example, a good Azarenka/Muguruza rivalry to come.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I've just finished to watch the whole match, excellent game and the last point wowww superb
I've always said that Garbiñe has everything to be a Champion and I hope and believe that this win will take her far getting more and more achievements if she would be injuries free. Not too long ego she got an ankle surgery and after that she wasn't very consistent but she is still 22 years old and seems to have a great future and of course has better game than those ones that you have named :)

She's definitely the real deal. I thought so the first time I saw her play. The rest of the women had better step up, barring unforeseen injuries and highs and low, if Garbine can hold it together this won't be the last time we see her in the winner's circle.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And now time to watch the doubles, what a good day for Spain! :drums:

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
And now time to watch the doubles, what a good day for Spain! :drums:

Wow, so glad you said something. I didn't think I would get to see it because of the way TTC is broadcasting this French Open. Watching it now, nice talking to you.

Reactions: Carol

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What I admired about Garbine's win was her determination,she had a game plan and stuck to it.Garbine 'Believed' she had defeated Serena before,though she was found wanting last year against Serena in the final at Wimbledon.My dad a 'tennis nut' said to me many year ago,'sometimes you have to lose a GS final in order to know how to win one' Garbine's game suits all surfaces,being brought up on clay your game translates to all surfaces.Vamos Garbine,enjoy your victory!

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I am happy Muguruza won, perhaps it's time for next generation, though it is questionable what next generation is on wta.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sooo happy for Garbine, she's so natural and pretty, hope she can have a long and great career

Reactions: Billie