Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kerber is the first lefty to reach the AO final since Monica Seles in 1996.

Serena in straight sets,again too much firepower overall for Kerber

Serena to claim her 7th AO title!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
5 things to know about Angelique Kerber before the Australian Open final

• She’s an established top-10 resident
  • She’s beaten Serena before
  • She’s revamped her career approach
  • She’s serious on court, but pretty goofy off it
  • Steffi is her idol

http://goo.gl/empHax

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kerber has to play offensive tennis all match if she has a chance to defeat Serena,who has not dropped a set in this tournament.Serena to win her 7th AO title and to tie with my idol Graf.

mikecase

Club Member
Reactions
Does Kerber have it in her to be offensive? She always seems like a passive backboard to me. She does have some power though but I can't see her beating Williams although I understand she did beat her once a few years ago.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Does Kerber have it in her to be offensive? She always seems like a passive backboard to me. She does have some power though but I can't see her beating Williams although I understand she did beat her once a few years ago.

I have to give credit to Kerber,she played a super offensive match against Azarenka,generally speaking she usually plays defensive tennis,waiting for her opponent's error's.Yes she can hit the ball with pace,though her serve does let her down at times.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to give credit to Kerber,she played a super offensive match against Azarenka,generally speaking she usually plays defensive tennis,waiting for her opponent's error's.Yes she can hit the ball with pace,though her serve does let her down at times.
I think it will rank as one of the greatest shocks of all time if Angelique pulls this off.

Still, you never know - Sam Stosur's win in New York was a huge surprise to me, particularly considering how well Serena was playing going in.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it will rank as one of the greatest shocks of all time if Angelique pulls this off.

Still, you never know - Sam Stosur's win in New York was a huge surprise to me, particularly considering how well Serena was playing going in.

I have Stosur's match on tape,I watched it live,that was the best match of her career,her bhand,her worst shot,was on song all match,everything was.I could see the belief in her eyes.I have always thought that if Stosur was to win a GS title it would be at RG.The year she and Fran made the final at RG,Sam defeated Henin,Serena on her way to that final and just froze,though all credit to Fran.

Stranger things have happened in finals,I must admit I have never see Serena so 'switched on' in this first GS of the year,I honestly believe when she took a break after she missed out on the Calender Slam in NYC,it has done her the world of good.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I guess anything is possible, but I think Serena will win, in 2 sets. She is just too powerful and if her serve is on, I don't know what anybody could do. this is the first major of the year so there is no big pressure on Serena. Angie is an experienced player but this is her first major final, so she will feel some tension.
Good luck to both and enjoy live tennis, I'll watch this one taped.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some facts and stats for today's final between Serena v Angie.

Serena is trying to tie the Open Era record for most Grand Slam Titles of 22,currently held by Steffi Graf.Margaret Court holds the all time record for most Grand Slam Single Titles with 24.

Angie will be No 2 ranked player if she wins,if she is the runner up her ranking will be No 4.

Serena has more GS titles since turning 30 than anyone.Serena has 8 since turning 30,if she wins today,Serena will have 9 GS titles as a thirty-something.Court and Navratilova are tied for next-most with 3 majors apiece.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks Margaret - all interesting stats. I was a bit surprised Nav only won 3 in her thirties - always thought it was more.

Here's another:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some facts and stats for today's final between Serena v Angie.

Serena is trying to tie the Open Era record for most Grand Slam Titles of 22,currently held by Steffi Graf.Margaret Court holds the all time record for most Grand Slam Single Titles with 24.

Angie will be No 2 ranked player if she wins,if she is the runner up her ranking will be No 4.

Serena has more GS titles since turning 30 than anyone.Serena has 8 since turning 30,if she wins today,Serena will have 9 GS titles as a thirty-something.Court and Navratilova are tied for next-most with 3 majors apiece.

I got those stats off the WTA,I thought Martina won a Mixed GS Title with Leander Paes when she was around 50?