2016 Australian Open Final: S. Williams vs. Kerber

Who wins this one?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena leads the series 5-1

http://www.wtatennis.com/head2head/player1/10768/player2/9044/title/angelique-kerber/title/serena-williams

All meetings have been on hard courts and straight sets. Angie was able to grab a win at the 2012 Cincy QF. They've only met once in a slam at the 2007 USO. Does

Angie win her maiden slam or will Serena tie Steffi?

Who ya got?
article-urn:publicid:ap.org:0d788d308d8441c3a3aaf18797eb67d8-wksyVG3E36560bbd7f204eed90e-647_634x806.jpg

vs.
image.jpg

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kerber will try but it will not be enough...Serena will be too strong.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena leads the series 5-1 and not 6-1. I remember the Cincy finals match that Kerbie won. In that match, Serena was playing passively hoping Kerbie will lose the match instead of going and getting it.
I am sure Serena would not do that in this final.

Kerbie has enough firepower to stay toe to toe with Serena on groundstrokes. However, her serve, her return of serve and net play far inferior to that of Serena.

A first tight set where Serena edges and then a blow-out second set is what is on menu for the finals. 6-4, 6-1.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think the occasion will be too big for Kerber. Serena has been playing too well and is so accustomed to this stage that I think it will go her way. Serena has pretty much stayed aggressive the whole tournament, so I don't see that changing and Kerber's serve has been very attackable. I like where Serena is at physically and mentally. You can tell the 4 months away did her well.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Serena leads the series 5-1 and not 6-1. I remember the Cincy finals match that Kerbie won. In that match, Serena was playing passively hoping Kerbie will lose the match instead of going and getting it.

Kerbie has enough firepower to stay toe to toe with Serena on groundstrokes. However, her serve, her return of serve and net play far inferior to that of Serena.

A first tight set where Serena edges and then a blow-out second set is what is on menu for the finals. 6-4, 6-1.

Thanks. I fixed it, but that Cinci match was not a final, but a QF.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Thanks. I fixed it, but that Cinci match was not a final, but a QF.
in that match Serena looked like she wanted out of Cincy and didnt look bothered by the loss.
Serena better start well because the german will try to break first..

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The problem for Kerber is starting out well and then blowing it. Serena is one person who is unfazed by that and will clean your clock if you let her back into a match.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
You guys seem sure but yet I feel nervous because:
1) Angie showed in the last two matches some real aggression. When she was down a double break in the 2nd with Vika, I've never seen her more aggressive. She knows this level of aggression is necessary to have a chance against Serena
2) Her return of serve has improved greatly. She was punishing second serves (and sometimes first) vs. Vika and Konta.
3) She's a backboard and a frustrator, with low UFE and getting everything back in, she's the female Gilles Simon.

That being said I'm leaning to Serena in 3 because the moment might be too big for Angie and Serena is VERY experienced in this position, but I need to re-watch both their semis and then vote. :-/

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Look, I am not saying Kerber isn't capable of winning this. However, I am very confident in Serena right now. She is in a good place mentally and physically. The one thing I have noticed in her tight match with Giorgi and that tight set with Maria and Aga was she didn't lose her head and kept focused. If it was the Serena of last year, she probably would have gone three sets or a tie breaker. Serena started out this tournament good and has just gotten better. She has managed her game at a level where when it does go off a bit it isn't costing her sets. Kerber's ROS might have improved, but she hasn't played someone like Serena with a consistently good serve. Also, Serena is punishing serves herself this tournament which Angie's is a sitting duck.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I say Serena in straights. The best Kerber could hope for is a slow start or an off day from Serena. The problem for Kerber is that unlike Vika or Maria or another player in that situation as soon as Kerber lets up in the slightest bit Serena will click back in.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
apparently Kerber received text from Steffi on how to beat Serena..she was asked by media about it and then she pleaded to Steffi to text her on tips...wow..I hope Serena is aware of this..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-3420800/Serena-Williams-tunes-Steffi-Graf-record-talk-ahead-Australian-Open-final-against-Germany-s-Angelique-Kerber.html

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The funny thing is to get to number 22 Serena is going to have to beat a German player. I find that whole thing ridiculous about Steffi texting Kerber on how to beat Serena.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
apparently Kerber received text from Steffi on how to beat Serena..she was asked by media about it and then she pleaded to Steffi to text her on tips...wow..I hope Serena is aware of this..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-3420800/Serena-Williams-tunes-Steffi-Graf-record-talk-ahead-Australian-Open-final-against-Germany-s-Angelique-Kerber.html

The only fact is Kerber received text from Steffi. It could be just a routine congratulatory message.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
tossip said:

The only fact is Kerber received text from Steffi. It could be just a routine congratulatory message.
read the whole piece...she said she pleaded with Steffi and then she said she got the text...:popcorn

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tossip said:

read the whole piece...she said she pleaded with Steffi and then she said she got the text...:popcorn

Read the whole piece. Although she pleaded that Steffi give her some tips (she pleaded on TV during the on court interview at the provocation of the interviewer, she only said that she got a text message after an hour, but has not read it and so don't know what is the content of the message.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
From what I have read, Steffi congratulated Angie on making her first slam final and wished her good luck. There was no mention of tips on beating Serena. As a Serena fan, I also think it is great that Angie is in the final. She has toiled for many years and seems to be a nice person. Good luck to both ladies. In less than 24 hourss, we'll be either celebrating Serena's 22 slam or Angie's first. Both are good news for women's tennis

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Serena is going to fight tooth and nail for this one. She is in a good position to get #22 early and get it off her plate and really make the rest of her career a gravy train in accomplishments.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I expect Serena will win and get rid of those "demons that haunted her at the USO last September.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
colleen66 said:
From what I have read, Steffi congratulated Angie on making her first slam final and wished her good luck. There was no mention of tips on beating Serena. As a Serena fan, I also think it is great that Angie is in the final. She has toiled for many years and seems to be a nice person. Good luck to both ladies. In less than 24 hourss, we'll be either celebrating Serena's 22 slam or Angie's first. Both are good news for women's tennis

Well said, Colleen.

My prediction: Serena wins in straights. It will be a great moment for her, tying Steffi's 22 Majors. I just hope Kerber isn't so overwhelmed by the situation that it's a blowout.