Who was the last USA player who won his first title on clay?:puzzled

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
herios said:

Wild guess. Chang?

No, he won his first title on HC at 16 in San Francisco.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
herios said:

Is it a trick question? (Sock is the first to do so.) Or are we talking pre-Open Era?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
herios said:

Is it a trick question? (Sock is the first to do so.) Or are we talking pre-Open Era?

No, it is just a stand out, considering how usually US players treat clay court tennis in the recent years. They grow up on cement and it takes some adjustment to learn the specifics of how to play on clay.
At one point, they will have to realize that clay is part of the tennis calendar and and commit more to learn how to play on it.
Sock now does a lot of new things on his own. That Wimbledon doubles title is still something extraordinary when you stay to think a little, now this title I hope it will give him a lot of boost.
I would hate to see him turning into a bust a la Young or Harrison.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I've got it! Ryan Sweeting. It just occurred to me as I was thinking about previous winners of the Houston tournament. Am I right?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
tented said:
herios said:

No, it is just a stand out, considering how usually US players treat clay court tennis in the recent years. They grow up on cement and it takes some adjustment to learn the specifics of how to play on clay.
At one point, they will have to realize that clay is part of the tennis calendar and and commit more to learn how to play on it.
Sock now does a lot of new things on his own. That Wimbledon doubles title is still something extraordinary when you stay to think a little, now this title I hope it will give him a lot of boost.

Don't forget his USO mixed doubles titles with Melanie Oudin. That was even a couple of years
earlier than Wimbledon mens doubles title. Also, he has junior singles titles in one or more
GS events.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jack Sock has left Young and Harrison far behind. He already has two Grand Slam doubles titles and now his first ATP title. If things go right, he could be seeded when the FO and Wimby come around. :clap

sock-houston.jpg

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
I've got it! Ryan Sweeting. It just occurred to me as I was thinking about previous winners of the Houston tournament. Am I right?

You nailed it!!:clap

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:
tented said:

Don't forget his USO mixed doubles titles with Melanie Oudin. That was even a couple of years
earlier than Wimbledon mens doubles title. Also, he has junior singles titles in one or more
GS events.
I forgot about his mixed doubles title. But to become a GS winner in men doubles is a lot more difficult task, the field is much stronger and deeper there.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:
GS events.

I forgot about his mixed doubles title. But to become a GS winner in men doubles is a lot more difficult task, the field is much stronger and deeper there.

I agree, especially considering Pop/Sock had never played together before, and beat the Bryan brothers, the GOAT of doubles teams, in the Wimbledon final. No one -- not even Pop/Sock -- saw that coming.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:

GS events.

Of course, that goes without saying. I was just listing the highlights in his resume.