2015 French Open Men's Singles Draw

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:
I won't get excited for Roger's chances until he gets the QF. Getting Stan and Berd again after just dominating them last week is about as good as he could've hoped for. And I was hoping for the Rafa-Nole QF. Glad that worked out. Now Nole has to finish the job...first step to getting Wafa out of the sport.

Crikey, that's melodramatic :laydownlaughing :lolz::lolz: :clap

I can assure you I did not stutter as I was typing it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:
I won't get excited for Roger's chances until he gets the QF. Getting Stan and Berd again after just dominating them last week is about as good as he could've hoped for. And I was hoping for the Rafa-Nole QF. Glad that worked out. Now Nole has to finish the job...first step to getting Wafa out of the sport.

Oh, I much prefer that kinda stuff than wishy washy stuff. But wouldn't it be nice to have one more Fedal final in Paris, for old times sake? :devil

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
DarthFed said:
I won't get excited for Roger's chances until if/when he gets to the QF. Getting Stan and Berd again after just dominating them last week is about as good as he could've hoped for. And I was hoping for the Rafa-Nole QF. Glad that worked out. Now Nole has to finish the job...first step to getting Wafa out of the sport.

Lol! A bit extreme, but I wouldn't be crying over it. Not like when ol' Rog departs the scene!

But to be honest, having to face both Stan and Berd man will be tough. I've noticed over the years that if Roger has just dusted off an opponent and he has to play them soon after in a slam, he'll have more difficulty because they're more used to him. Probably doesn't apply when it's a top 10 guy, but it's happened before. I recall particularly.. Falla at Wimbledon :(

Stan and Berd wouldn't be easy of course but the alternatives seem worse to me (something like Kei or Rafa and a red hot Murray in the semis). Also, Stan might not even get to the QF.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:
Kieran said:

Oh, I much prefer that kinda stuff than wishy washy stuff. But wouldn't it be nice to have one more Fedal final in Paris, for old times sake? :devil

About as nice as a colonoscopy would be

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
federberg said:
DarthFed said:
I won't get excited for Roger's chances until if/when he gets to the QF. Getting Stan and Berd again after just dominating them last week is about as good as he could've hoped for. And I was hoping for the Rafa-Nole QF. Glad that worked out. Now Nole has to finish the job...first step to getting Wafa out of the sport.

Lol! A bit extreme, but I wouldn't be crying over it. Not like when ol' Rog departs the scene!

But to be honest, having to face both Stan and Berd man will be tough. I've noticed over the years that if Roger has just dusted off an opponent and he has to play them soon after in a slam, he'll have more difficulty because they're more used to him. Probably doesn't apply when it's a top 10 guy, but it's happened before. I recall particularly.. Falla at Wimbledon :(

Stan and Berd wouldn't be easy of course but the alternatives seem worse to me (something like Kei or Rafa and a red hot Murray in the semis). Also, Stan might not even get to the QF.

I'll take a match against Murray for breakfast lunch or dinner. Anytime baby! ;)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ It'd be a good one. Keep in mind that if Murray reaches the semis he is suddenly on a 15 match clay win streak. If you had told me before clay season that I'd like Roger's chances at RG vs. Berdych more than his chances vs. Murray I'd think you were nuts. But given the circumstances I might prefer Tomas in the semis but it's close for sure. Roger could/maybe should beat either of them but could definitely lose to either too.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ It'd be a good one. Keep in mind that if Murray reaches the semis he is suddenly on a 15 match clay win streak. If you had told me before clay season that I'd like Roger's chances at RG vs. Berdych more than his chances vs. Murray I'd think you were nuts. But given the circumstances I might prefer Tomas in the semis but it's close for sure. Roger could/maybe should beat either of them but could definitely lose to either too.

I hear you. I think Roger playing well should beat both. But if Roger's playing well and both of those are playing well, then I'm more comfortable with the Murray match up

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Now this is what I call a great draw...LoL. Now Fed could screw this up but I don't think so. Yeah Monfils has bettered him recently but in a 5 set match Fed will spoil the day for the crowd I believe. Let Djokovic earn it & finally he has a draw that is far more difficult than he has recently. I am rooting for Rafa (go figure!)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
federberg said:
DarthFed said:

I hear you. I think Roger playing well should beat both. But if Roger's playing well and both of those are playing well, then I'm more comfortable with the Murray match up

I'm not even going to sweat those late rounds yet! We're getting much too far ahead of ourselves! There are going to be upsets and few of these potential match-ups will take place IMO! OTOH, I don't mind Rafa in Nole's quarter; might as well get it done if possible through the so called BEST! :rolleyes: :nono :angel: :dodgy:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I do agree that Rafa got a tough draw generally speaking.

However, what people are forgetting is that his draw up to QF is very very smooth
and easy. See how easy it is.

R128 ----- A French Wildcard who is ranked outside 300.
R64 ----- Almagro (recovering from foot injury) who got into MD only because Haas withdrew.
R32 ----- A harmless Adrian Mannarino
R16 ----- Robredo / Grigor (Neither are doing great this clay season).

So, Rafa does not really have anyone dangerous in early rounds. I certainly DO NOT
expect him to lose in any of the first four rounds. Also, once he goes through four rounds
he would have some confidence developed back in and so he might make a match of
his QF with Novak.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
While Roger's draw in the later rounds (QF onwards) is good, he has some traps in early
rounds. In particular, in R32 Karlovic may pose some trouble. More serious than that is
R16 with either Monfils/Cuevas creating trouble (both of them like clay).

Monfils is probably the most dangerous opponent. But, once he reaches QF, I see Fed reaching finals.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Monfils figures to be the huge threat given how much trouble he's given Roger the past couple years.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
There is no question that Novak- Rafa match will be the finals. That was the expectation before the draw came out. After seeing the draw, nothing has changed either. Also, I think both will make the appointment.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
Rafa did manage to get a rid of judge who upset him in Rio this year. Laughing for wrongly put shorts and 20 s rule.

So, can some of tennis experts explain me, what counts in those 20 s ? Is that time to be on serve line, time of hiting the ball... ?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
There is no question that Novak- Rafa match will be the finals. That was the expectation before the draw came out. After seeing the draw, nothing has changed either. Also, I think both will make the appointment.

Call me conservative, but it's only the finals if Rafa gets thru. Novak has to earn it

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I usually would not pay attention to this, but...

...did someone watched the draw cerimony? Nadal's expression when he draw himself on Djokovic's quarter would be quite telling...

(as I believe he was doing the draw, am I right?)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:

...did someone watched the draw cerimony? Nadal's expression when he draw himself on Djokovic's quarter would be quite telling...

Lol! Wish I'd seen it

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:

No, he does women's draw. Maria does the men's draw.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
ho. ly. sh. t.

forget the USO and its Monday finals - the French might bring us a Wednesday final!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
mrzz said:

No, he does women's draw. Maria does the men's draw.

Wow, just glancing at both draws, the men and ladies #1 seed is getting hammered! Nole has Rafa and Andy in his 1/4 & 1/2 respectively while Serena has to deal with Azarenka early and Venus or potentially Stephens depending on who wins their 1st round! :eyepop :popcorn