2015 Davis Cup

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Congrats to the Brits! Andy and Ward did a fine job of securing their place in the quarterfinals.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Henri Lakosen (spelling?) won both of his singles matches for Switzerland.
He defeated the mighty Darcis in the reverse singles.
They are now tied at 2-2 with Belgium. The last singles match will be played by
Michael Lammer.

Can the swiss pull it through?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Due to last minute shuffle, Adrian Bossel (ranked 321) is playing against #20 rnked
David Goffin (who was sporting pseudo injuries till now) in the final reverse singles.

The swiss can forget it unless Goffin is really injured.

A

auto-pilot

Why does Great Britain have so few decent tennis players?
Isn't tennis popular there?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
auto-pilot said:

It is very popular along with soccer and "horse racing!" They don't really support tennis from what little I've seen and heard! Back in '77, Wimbledon made $7 M which was huge at the time when players didn't even make $50,000 winning it! I heard the tourney gave the British Tennis Association $100,000 in the furtherance of trying to get players to the elite level! They've had meager success, but right now, even with just a hired gun in Murray, no way will they go anywhere! We just happen to be in more pathetic shape with all our money and resources that we've lost to them twice with players ranked much higher than the 2nd player from Britain! :nono :angel: :cover

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I want to congratulate Aussie's for their win over Czech,I mean with Birdman and Steps out,it really was our tie for the taking.

Young 18 year old Kokkinakis to me was the player of the tie,giving Australia a much needed boost in winning the first singles match in a exciting 5 set match.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
fashionista said:
I want to congratulate Aussie's for their win over Czech,I mean with Birdman and Steps out,it really was our tie for the taking.

Young 18 year old Kokkinakis to me was the player of the tie, giving Australia a much needed boost in winning the first singles match in a exciting 5 set match.

Congrats! At least some countries have budding superstars; not us here in the States! Ours are gutless and can't seem to finish matches they should win in a timely fashion in singles and doubles! It's kind of pathetic and sad to see us go down again to a much weaker country! How do we allow nobodies to knock us out like this twice? There's a distinct chance we could lose again in the relegation round we're so bad! Anybody know yet who it'll be or is the draw decided later? I'm not accustomed to us being beat down like this in consecutive years! :cover :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy:

A

auto-pilot

Fiero425 said:
auto-pilot said:

It is very popular along with soccer and "horse racing!" They don't really support tennis from what little I've seen and heard! Back in '77, Wimbledon made $7 M which was huge at the time when players didn't even make $50,000 winning it! I heard the tourney gave the British Tennis Association $100,000 in the furtherance of trying to get players to the elite level! They've had meager success, but right now, even with just a hired gun in Murray, no way will they go anywhere! We just happen to be in more pathetic shape with all our money and resources that we've lost to them twice with players ranked much higher than the 2nd player from Britain! :nono :angel: :cover

Thanks for the detailed insight, I hope they get more stars.
Wimbledon is a lot more fun because of the Murray hype (and previously the Henman hype).
But I guess Murray's hype would be a lot less if there were a couple of other British stars.
So in a way its good that there is only one star, as the massive hype makes each of his matches especially fun.

A

auto-pilot

Tomic gets hated a bit but is a very reliable Davis Cup player.
The other hated (or not that hated but less praised than Rafter/Hewitt) star Mark Philippoussis won the Davis Cup Final for Australia (while Hewitt lost both singles matches).
Similar dynamic.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
David Goffin up by two sets against Bossel with a scoreline of 6-4, 6-0. The swiss are now
almost certain to be eliminated.

But, they gave a good fight. Who would have thought they will win even one point? They
managed to win 2 points.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
fashionista said:

Young 18 year old Kokkinakis to me was the player of the tie, giving Australia a much needed boost in winning the first singles match in a exciting 5 set match.

Congrats! At least some countries have budding superstars; not us here in the States! Ours are gutless and can't seem to finish matches they should win in a timely fashion in singles and doubles! It's kind of pathetic and sad to see us go down again to a much weaker country! How do we allow nobodies to knock us out like this twice? There's a distinct chance we could lose again in the relegation round we're so bad! Anybody know yet who it'll be or is the draw decided later? I'm not accustomed to us being beat down like this in consecutive years! :cover :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Remember the good old days when the USA and Australia were the No1 and No 2 Davis Cup teams,at least at present no other country can take that away from either nation.Australia now has some good young players coming through the ranks,hey it has been a long time between drinks may I say,though it dosent happen overnight.It is good to see these younger players love to play for their country and hopefully they will be able to do this in their player careers.Also when Hewitt retires next year,he will take over as Davis Cup Captain,I am not a fan of Hewitt,though he loves DC and has a real passion for it,I cant think of anyone else that will make a excellent DC Captain than Hewitt.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Goffin wins in straight sets and with that Belgium clinches the tie.

They will play against the winners of Japan vs. Canada. Either way that is the
end of road for Belgium.

Will Roger and Stan do the rescue operation for Swiss after USO? I think they will do so.
Anyway, they both need to play one DC event in 2015/16 to qualify for Olympics. There
is no better time than that to take care of that obligation.

Hope they don't draw Spain in the play offs.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kei makes 3 forehand errors and milos gets the first break.

And in consequence, he gets the first set as well.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So whats going on in Buenos aires? Almost 7 hours on court now verwees Mayer and souza. Whats the record of longest match again?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lol and as I wrote that Mayer finally breaks to tie the tie. :)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Watching the scores, Mayer has won and Kei got the break 3-5 second set....

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
3-6 and playing now the third set which I think is going to be tied?