2015 Davis Cup

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Monfils decided not to play tie vs Germany, Clement disagrees but Jan de Witt asked la Monf not to play Bad news for out team : Tsonga won't be there, maybe Benneteau won't be able to play....we can rely on Gasquet, Simon, maybe Chardy ??

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Federer announces that he won't be playing Davis Cup this year and from the sound of it, never again.

"It wasn't a difficult decision," the 33-year-old Federer said Monday at the Dubai tournament. "I have played for so long, and I think by winning it I can finally do whatever I please, to be quite honest."

"It's been a big burden for me throughout my career and one of the things that have caused more difficulties in my life than many other things, I must say," Federer said.

"I always feel there is so much guilt put on you from the federation or from the ITF more so than anybody else. So I'm happy I was able to finally tick that off and do it altogether."

"I totally did it for the boys more than for me, to be quite honest," he said. "I just really wanted Michael (Lammer) and Marco (Chiudinelli) and Stan to get it because they deserve it. So for me, this year, it was very clear that I was not going to play."

The article also says Federer will have to play a tie this year or next to qualify for the Olympics so who knows what he's going to do. But I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I don't think Federer liked playing the Davis Cup all that much. :snicker

Article

A

auto-pilot

Got to feel sorry for Federer with all those burdens and difficulties.....

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am sure Fed will play in the world group play-offs (assuming Switzerland loses in the 1st round)
as it happens after USO.

If Swiss by some miracle, wins the first round against Belgium, I expect Stan to play in the
QF, but not Roger.

If by chance, Swiss makes it to SF, I expect Roger to join the party as the SF will be held
after USO.

To summarize, I think Fed will not play in DC until the end of all four slams this year.
However, if he has a chance to play after that, he will surely play.

In the event that Switzerland wins the first round and loses the QF (chances are very
less of this combination happening, let alone the first item in there), then Roger will not
have a chance to play in DC this year after all the four slams (as Switzerland will be
remaining in the world group and do not need to participate in a play off). In that
case, Roger will play the first round in 2016 as he needs to play one to qualify for
Olympics.

Yes, he can be given a wild card by Olympics committee, but I don't think Roger
would present them such a difficult situation.

Finally, the rules only say that a player needs to make themselves available for
a tie in the last two years (and not necessarily actually play). Once Roger says he
is making himself available for DC and Luthi says he is not picking him for the team,
then he would have already met the qualification rules and the Olympics Committee or
ITF cannot touch him. :devil

A

auto-pilot

Olympics is on clay anyway, so Federer might not think he has a chance of beating Nadal/Djokovic there.
But he might like the Olympics spirit anyway and still play for bronze.
Actually on 2nd thoughts, Federer beats Djokovic regularly in best-of-3-sets still, so he has a chance at the Olympics.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
Olympics is on clay anyway, so Federer might not think he has a chance of beating Nadal/Djokovic there.
Actually on 2nd thoughts, Federer beats Djokovic regularly in best-of-3-sets still, so he has a chance at the Olympics.

The Rio Olympics is going to be played on a hard court.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Encouraging news for our Aussie DC team who are set to play Czech

Berdych is not playing the rubber he wants to concentrate on the ATP tour.Steps is still injured,remember he didn't play the Australian Open.Rosol will be one of the single players for the Czech team.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:

How embarrassing. :cover

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Further update regarding the Australian Davis Cup team to play Czech Republic on indoor hard courts at Ostrava on 6th-8th March.

Wally Masur Australian Davis Cup Captain has named...Hewitt,Kyrgios,Tomic and Groth in the team

Czech Republic team....Rosol and Vesley....rookies Adam Pavlasek and Jan Mertl have also been included in the team.

A

auto-pilot

Kirijax said:
auto-pilot said:

Nah, Nadal said its on clay.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
Kirijax said:
auto-pilot said:

Nah, Nadal said its on clay.

Nadal surprised at hard-court selection for 2016 Olympics in Rio

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
auto-pilot said:

Mirka is certainly a heavier burden than DC....I don't undersatnd how a player can call DC a burden...it's one of the most beautiful and important compétition of tennis. I just can't get it

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
isabelle said:
auto-pilot said:

Mirka is certainly a heavier burden than DC....I don't undersatnd how a player can call DC a burden...it's one of the most beautiful and important compétition of tennis. I just can't get it

I agree. It's one of the best traditions and awards in tennis. I wish there was a way so that it wasn't such a drain on certain players. I like the format in a way but it's too drawn out over the year I think.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Strange news from l'Equipe, : they announced that Monfils "ll finaly play vs Germany

A

auto-pilot

isabelle said:
auto-pilot said:

Because tennis players live in a fish bowl from a very early age, some of them have a warped sense of what is 'difficult' in life.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The Swiss tennis federation announced its team on Tuesday for next week's first-round tie in Liege, leaving out 226th-ranked Marco Chiudinelli, who is injured.

That leaves No. 294 Yann Marti as the best ranked of the four-man Swiss team, joined by Adrien Bossel, Henri Laaksonen and Michael Lammer.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Injured Gasquet could be out too

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like the format they have now, but sometimes I wish they would just do the world group all in one week somewhere during the year like they used to do the old Federation Cup.