2015 ATP World Tour Finals: Federer vs Djokovic

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The big dance has arrived folks. What gives?

Who do you like in this final?

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can fire off the first shot. I think Federer is taking this in straights.

he has plenty of motivation and is prepared for this challenge.

he will finish #2 if he can snatch it. and that is just one of his motivations. the other is the pride of competing, battling, and winning.

Federer still has the will and the hunger to win. he also does not fear anyone. I think he will show up with a positive mindset and play to win.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
Novak got ambushed in the Round Robin.  Had they scouted the Berdych match, team Djokovic would have seen what was coming.  Becker was there watching Fed's semifinal.  They will be prepared.  Novak will take this in two or three contested sets.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Yeah, I think Nole's one bad match was in round robin.  This is the final, he will be ready to fight it out if necessary.  I hope so, at least. :)

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the key for Federer has to be that first set.

djokovic has lasting staying power so Federer has to try to put him away in straights.

Federer serve has to do its thing and his forehand has to click. lets see how it plays out.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm seeing it as 50/50 right now... but yeah, the first set is more crucial for Roger. He needs to get Novak out of there as quickly as possible.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Although my head picks Novak to win, my heart would like to see Federer get another big win over Djokovic in a major event.  It would be good in many levels, and make January very interesting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
12613 said:
Although my head picks Novak to win, my heart would like to see Federer get another big win over Djokovic in a major event. It would be good in many levels, and make January very interesting.

Agreed. I'm thinking it would be good for the sport going into next year if Federer takes him down here.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am picking Federer for the Wimbledon crown in 2016 so this win can just mean some added confidence.

I think Federer is due for that elusive 8th Wimby title. being #2 means that he does not have to deal with Djokovic until the final.

so yes Federer can think of all kinds of motivations for this.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
make no mistake about it: djokovic is the very heavy favorite for this.

I just think Federer has his chances with his vast arsenal if the serve and the forehand clicks.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I don't see how anything but Nole's win tomorrow would be best for anybody ;-)

I see the chat is ready for tomorrow.  Good thinking BB.  :yahoo:

And we got our first snow today!  The one which sticks and makes outside so light without light bulbs.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
12615 said:
shawnbm wrote:
Although my head picks Novak to win, my heart would like to see Federer get another big win over Djokovic in a major event. It would be good in many levels, and make January very interesting.
Agreed. I’m thinking it would be good for the sport going into next year if Federer takes him down here.
Why would that be good for the sport?  Because then we wouldn't have an overly dominant single player?  Rather rich from Federer fans, no?  Who were perfectly happy when Roger had no plausible competition back in '04-'07?  Djokovic has earned the entire cupcake this year, and I think he takes it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
12623 said:
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
shawnbm wrote:
Agreed. I’m thinking it would be good for the sport going into next year if Federer takes him down here.</blockquote>
Why would that be good for the sport? Because then we wouldn’t have an overly dominant single player? Rather rich from Federer fans, no? Who were perfectly happy when Roger had no plausible competition back in ’04-’07? Djokovic has earned the entire cupcake this year, and I think he takes it.

Largely because it keeps things more interesting. When Nadal threw down the gauntlet to Federer, it made things more interesting.  Competition makes things more interesting, full stop.  I don't dispute he has "earned the year" - of course he has.

I was a Safin fan first and foremost back in 04-07 by the way :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
12627 said:
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
shawnbm wrote:
Agreed. I’m thinking it would be good for the sport going into next year if Federer takes him down here.</blockquote>
Why would that be good for the sport? Because then we wouldn’t have an overly dominant single player? Rather rich from Federer fans, no? Who were perfectly happy when Roger had no plausible competition back in ’04-’07? Djokovic has earned the entire cupcake this year, and I think he takes it.</blockquote>
Largely because it keeps things more interesting. When Nadal threw down the gauntlet to Federer, it made things more interesting. Competition makes things more interesting, full stop. I don’t dispute he has “earned the year” – of course he has. I was a Safin fan first and foremost back in 04-07 by the way :)
Oh, don't try to make it up to me by playing to my Safin soft-spot.  ;)  Ha!  Nor deflect the point by pretending that Fed fans didn't love the crap out of when he dominated.  The thing I don't see so much celebrated is the resurgence of Nadal, but either the Feddies or the Djokolites.  If good competition is great for tennis, then so is the return of Rafa.  Can I get an Amen?! (Tick, tick...I guess I'm waiting for a GFYS.)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
What's a GFYS?  Well I think I did lay out the positives for Rafa and never said that he is finished.  And I am not the only one, I believe.  I don't know what kind of season he is going to have in 2016 but might be way better than this one.  We'll see, I guess.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
12636 said:
What’s a GFYS? Well I think I did lay out the positives for Rafa and never said that he is finished. And I am not the only one, I believe. I don’t know what kind of season he is going to have in 2016 but might be way better than this one. We’ll see, I guess.
Oh, Billie, you're always trying to be fair, and see the good in everyone.  GFYS ("go fuck yourself," the response I was expecting.)  I think there are others that are not so interested in Rafa making his way back to form.  Or, I could be wrong.  It could be all benevolence and open-heartedness.  (Not sure why it doesn't feel like that.   :scratch:  )

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
12634 said:
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
shawnbm wrote:
Why would that be good for the sport? Because then we wouldn’t have an overly dominant single player? Rather rich from Federer fans, no? Who were perfectly happy when Roger had no plausible competition back in ’04-’07? Djokovic has earned the entire cupcake this year, and I think he takes it.</blockquote>
Largely because it keeps things more interesting. When Nadal threw down the gauntlet to Federer, it made things more interesting. Competition makes things more interesting, full stop. I don’t dispute he has “earned the year” – of course he has. I was a Safin fan first and foremost back in 04-07 by the way :)</blockquote>
Oh, don’t try to make it up to me by playing to my Safin soft-spot. ;) Ha! Nor deflect the point by pretending that Fed fans didn’t love the crap out of when he dominated. The thing I don’t see so much celebrated is the resurgence of Nadal, but either the Feddies or the Djokolites. If good competition is great for tennis, then so is the return of Rafa. Can I get an Amen?! (Tick, tick…I guess I’m waiting for a GFYS.)

This all what Moxie said about competition and Rafa's resurgence makes sense. If anything will make competition more "interesting" next year that is Rafa in his old form, but on the other hand that will mean less titles for the other guys so it makes their fans unlikely to cheer to Rafa's resurgence.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Back to No1e vs Fed final, if No1e plays like he played against Rafa, I don't think it will be much of the contest. On the other hand, they played some close matches in past so that may happen again. I expect No1e's crescendo towards the end of the match and finishing it in style with backhand down the line winner on his first matchpoint.

The only thing Fed can promise us is that if he doesn't run away like he did last year, he will seat in No1e's chair yet again (for the third or fourth time?). But that's classy of him and very good for the sport. ;-)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak to win,he has had an incredible year,he knows what is needed to defeat Federer

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
12641 said:
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
shawnbm wrote:
Largely because it keeps things more interesting. When Nadal threw down the gauntlet to Federer, it made things more interesting. Competition makes things more interesting, full stop. I don’t dispute he has “earned the year” – of course he has. I was a Safin fan first and foremost back in 04-07 by the way :)</blockquote>
Oh, don’t try to make it up to me by playing to my Safin soft-spot. ;) Ha! Nor deflect the point by pretending that Fed fans didn’t love the crap out of when he dominated. The thing I don’t see so much celebrated is the resurgence of Nadal, but either the Feddies or the Djokolites. If good competition is great for tennis, then so is the return of Rafa. Can I get an Amen?! (Tick, tick…I guess I’m waiting for a GFYS.)</blockquote>
This all what Moxie said about competition and Rafa’s resurgence makes sense. If anything will make competition more “interesting” next year that is Rafa in his old form, but on the other hand that will mean less titles for the other guys so it makes their fans unlikely to cheer to Rafa’s resurgence.

Have people considered that Rafa "getting back to form" may not be enough? There seems to be a general feeling that all Rafa has to do is "get back to form" and all in the garden is rosy.

Djokovic isn't the same player - he's improved in ALL departments.

Federer isn't the same player - he's changed things up a lot to stay relevant - changed racquets, changed tactics, added shots and evolved.

Then look at who has stayed still or regressed... Murray even admitted he'd lost the variety he added into his game when under Lendl. The gulf between him and Djokovic and Federer and maybe even Nadal looks bigger than it has done in 5 years.

I'm interested in somebody explaining what fundamental improvements has Nadal made to his game in the last 3 years?

If you stay still, you're going backwards.